Songs about the Sea and Sailors

Tomorrow Is A Longtime— Bob Dylan ( dylan had to sail at some point to write that)

The Seaways CD is fabulous:

Check out hultonclint on youtube. He sings some great sea chanteys. Perfect for those long days loading and unloading at the rigs.

You guys gotta check out this band from British Columbia. They kick some serious ass.

Lorne Jones and The Tugs

[B]Captain by Ween[/B]

//youtu.be/9IvD_axDlLs

Shanty Man - traditional style shanty about modern ships

//youtu.be/g81TGTzWuO4

Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner… IRON MAIDEN \m/

[QUOTE=Motleysailor;32705]Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner… IRON MAIDEN \m/[/QUOTE]

//youtu.be/p4C2TDUPejc

Hell YES!!!

Filipino Baby…Ahhhh PI…I could go for a cold San Mig right about now.

Check out the 2009 live version from "Flight 666"video/concert

No Sloop John B?

Just sit right back and you’ll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip
That started from this tropic port
Aboard this tiny ship.

The mate was a mighty sailing man,
The skipper brave and sure.
Five passengers set sail that day
For a three hour tour, a three hour tour.

The weather started getting rough,
The tiny ship was tossed,
If not for the courage of the fearless crew
The Minnow would be lost, the Minnow would be lost.

The ship set ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle
With Gilligan
The Skipper too,
The millionaire and his wife,
The movie star
The professor and Mary Ann,
Here on Gilligans Isle.

So this is the tale of the castways,
They’re here for a long, long time,
They’ll have to make the best of things,
It’s an uphill climb.

The first mate and the Skipper too,
Will do their very best,
To make the others comfortable,
In the tropic island nest.

No phone, no lights no motor cars,
Not a single luxury,
Like Robinson Crusoe,
As primative as can be.

So join us here each week my freinds,
You’re sure to get a smile,
From seven stranded castways,
Here on “Gilligan’s Isle.”

what about “I’m on a boat” with T-Pain ? ? ?

//youtu.be/R7yfISlGLNU

JAFO - I’m on a boat is just to funny.

Here is one that I listen to sometimes while heading out in my little boat. I also had my folks learn it when I was in the navy and we sang it when we did PT.

A new CD is out with a bunch of songs about tugboating in the Pacific Northwest. Check it out here.

[SIZE=2]The CD is available for purchase at www.maritimefolknet.org where you can also listen to samples from each song. A CD Release Party for “Northwest Tugboat Tales” will be held on Sunday, Aug 29, from 3:00-5:00 pm, aboard the historic tugboat Arthur Foss at the Historic Ships Wharf in Lake Union Park, 860 Terry Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109. The public is invited to meet some of the musicians and hear some of the songs performed live. There will be free snacks and beverages, and a chance to tour the historic Arthur Foss. “Northwest Tugboat Tales” is the first project of a new organization, Maritime Folknet, which was formed to encourage the intangible aspects of maritime heritage: music, stories, and art. A few good songs about Northwest tugboats had already been recorded, but generally maritime music has tended to focus on the Age of Sail. Says Maritime Folknet President Alice Winship, “Seafaring changes, but the sea remains the same. The ships of today, and the men and women who work them, are just as deserving of song as the old-time shellbacks.” Songwriter Mary Garvey searched the Northwest for new tugboat songs and encouraged others to be written, including several that she wrote herself. Only five of the recordings have been previously released on other CDs; the rest are new. According to Chris Glanister, the CD’s producer, “Soon Mary was digging up songs and artists from the most obscure places. Gradually my studio filled with musicians and my hard drive with songs from up and down the West Coast.” (Source: MarineLink) [/SIZE]

//youtu.be/mKnIi05XNK4

Well, to bring a thread back from the dead…

How about a few that aren’t as necessarily about the sea, but about ships (more or less):

“Proud Mary” by Creedence Clearwater Revival
"Black Water" by The Doobie Brothers
"Mississippi Queen" by Mountain

No one mentioned Kirk Douglas from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. "Whale of a Tale"

Here’s one to resurrect this thread: Mark Knopfler - So Far From The Clyde

//youtu.be/eWObmq1RZxg