Something just ain't right with this picture

come on…sinking and taking on water but full afloat at its normal waterline? Masts and sails intact? No EPIRB? If the sailor was physically unable to keep sailing the vessel, why not just say that? WHY DID HE DECLARE MAYDAY COSTING THE TAXPAYERS SO MUCH MONEY?

[B]Missing Boater Found Uninjured After 12 Days Lost at Sea
[/B]

By Mike Schuler On December 10, 2014

A mariner and his 25-foot sailing vessel are being towed to Molokai after spending 12 days lost at sea Dec. 9, 2014. U.S. Coast Guard Photo

A 67-year old boater missing in the Pacific Ocean for nearly two weeks has been found alive and uninjured aboard his 25-foot sailboat Malia.

The USCG reports that a short mayday call picked up at 7:55 a.m. Tuesday over VHF channel 16 led to the rescue of the boater, identified as Ron Inraham, who was located by a U.S. Navy ship 64 miles south of Honolulu on Tuesday.

Ingraham was last heard from when he placed two mayday calls November 27th saying his vessel was taking on water and in danger of sinking 46 miles west of Kailua-Kona. The calls sparked an exhaustive search and rescue operation, with Coast Guard and Navy crews flying 59 sorties and covering approximately 12,000 square miles of open ocean. The Coast Guard suspended the search for Ingraham December 1 after turning up empty.

Following the short mayday on Tuesday, the nearby Aleigh Burke-class destroyer USS Paul Hamilton was diverted to the area and located the Malia at approximately 9 a.m. with Ingraham aboard. The U.S. Navy ship reported that he was weak, hungry and dehydrated.

Ingraham was reportedly sailing from Kaunakakai Harbor, Molokai, to Manele Bay, Lanai and was last heard from on November 25th, two days before going silent. His rescue Tuesday came 12 days after the initial mayday calls.

According to the latest by the USCG, Ingraham is currently aboard the 110-foot Coast Guard Cutter Kiska, with his sailing vessel Malia in tow. Kiska is expected to arrive in Molokai early Wednesday morning.

singlehanding should be illegal!

You’re right. Been asking myself the same thing, and my conclusion is that this is a file photo of a random sailboat and a Coast Guard cutter which has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual boats involved in the rescue.

The photo of the boat sailing along serenely along in light winds seems to contradict the video in same article which depicted quite a lot of disarray on the decks, sails strewn about, etcetera. The video is poor quality but It’s really hard to believe it’s the same boat.

There were photos and a report on the Today Show news this morning in which the report said when the boat was knocked down [U]both masts [/U]were broken, whereas all the photos in that report just like the video appeared to be of a single masted sloop rig with the single mast still standing.

I think it’s the same boat. Caption from USCG read: “A mariner and his 25-foot sailing vessel are being towed to Molokai after spending 12 days lost at sea Dec. 9, 2014. Ron Ingraham is currently aboard Coast Guard Cutter Kiska, a 110-foot Island-class patrol boat home ported in Hilo, en route Kaunakakai, Molokai, with his sailing vessel Malia in tow. (U.S. Coast Guard courtesy photo)”

Another photo shows Coast Guard onboard same boat taking down the sails. Here http://www.dvidshub.net/image/1694497/mariner-en-route-molokai-after-being-lost-sea#.VIngNdNaLvI

Just cause people own sailboats doesn’t mean they know how to sail…

From the Urban Dictionary:
WAFI
Stands for Wind Assisted Fucking Idiot.

These people are ignorant arseholes (usually middle or upper class) who go sailing for ‘pleasure’ but don’t know the first thing about safely controlling a vessel on the sea. They cost the taxpayer thousands of pounds in unnecessary rescues due to their completely non-existent respect for nature. They are despised by fishermen especially.

At about 34 seconds on the NBC news report, there is a still photo of the boat tied to the dock. Hard to say for absolute sure certain with a sail bag covering the side windows, but with the rather distinctive clipper bow and bowboards, rare on a 25-foot boat, it sure looks like the same boat. Definitely a single masted rig though.

God in Heaven, I pray that the USCG bills this ULTRAMAROON for rescue expenses!

It is easy to Judge when we don’t know why his vessel was disabled or his skill level as a seaman. I know there are vessels of all types, but generally speaking, single handed sailors are better seamen/women than power boaters.

[QUOTE=Xavier6162;149623]It is easy to Judge when we don’t know why his vessel was disabled or his skill level as a seaman. I know there are vessels of all types, but generally speaking, single handed sailors are better seamen/women than power boaters.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and certainly there is ample record of Coast Guard rescues of professionals and even commercial fishermen in vessels which were unprepared, poorly maintained to the point they should never have left the dock and of skippers making astonishingly poor decisions when things began to go wrong. With the benefit of hindsight, of course.

There’s plenty of stupidity to go around in the business (and pleasure) of going to sea.

That being said, the distance from Molokai to Lanai is all of eight freakin’ miles! I see an apparently functional mast and sails on that boat. Really, in ten days there was nothing else he could do to save himself or assist in his own rescue?

It really doesn’t add up.

[QUOTE=Xavier6162;149623]It is easy to Judge when we don’t know why his vessel was disabled or his skill level as a seaman. I know there are vessels of all types, but generally speaking, single handed sailors are better seamen/women than power boaters.[/QUOTE]

If the photo released is in fact the boat as the USCG found it, then the man should have had the ability to bring it home or he had absolutely no business being out there to begin with and if he became somehow physically incapacitated out there, then that it what should be said in the release…not some mysterious flooding.

Here’s video of his vessel being boarded…looks intact and still seaworthy to me…it certainly does not appear to have suffered flooding? Was the man who took it offshore was what in fact not worthy of putting to sea?

//youtu.be/D4u45DPDfkQ

In other words…WHAT THE FUCK REALLY HAPPENED TO HIM to require being rescued at great taxpayer expense?