Now what the EFF is this nonsense all about?

disabled…REALLY? It has its masts and sails and there is obviously wind! Plenty of freeboard too.

[B]Coast Guard completes 32-hour tow of disabled sailboat [/B]

PORTSMOUTH, Va. — The Coast Guard completed a tow of the disabled 54-foot sailboat Zulu at approximately 9 p.m. Saturday.

Coast Guard assets towed the Zulu more than 150 miles over a 32-hour period.

The captain aboard the Zulu initially contacted Sector North Carolina watchstanders via satellite phone at 11:30 p.m. Thursday, reporting the sailboat was disabled and adrift with three people aboard approximately 100 miles east of Oregon Inlet, N.C.

The crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Block Island arrived on scene Thursday night, but due to heavy weather conditions and nightfall could not take the Zulu into a tow until 8 a.m. Friday.

The Block Island towed the Zulu to the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, where a 45-foot Response Boat-Medium crew from Station Little Creek took up the tow and moored the vessel at Cobb Marina in Norfolk.

“This multi-day response illustrates the absolute dedication of Coast Guard crews to the safety of mariners in distress,” said Capt. John Little, commander of Sector Hampton Roads.

No injuries were reported.

WTF, did somebody get scared and panic? FUCKING AMATEURS!

[QUOTE=c.captain;124145]disabled…REALLY?[/QUOTE]

WTF is the CG doing towing like that? It should have been a commercial salvage tow after removing the “distressed” hobbyists and leaving the abandoned vessel to anyone who wanted it.

If the “distressed” boaters needed the CG to rescue them then they abandoned the boat … if they just needed a tow then they should have called a towing company. If they just wanted to let someone else drive because they got tired of playing tallship captain then the CG should have told them to F’off and find another hobby.

Can’t believe they just wasted another load of my tax money on crap like that. I really hope that the CG impounds the boat and sells it for compensation and sues the morons for the difference in cost.

I wonder is someone had “connections” and a call was made to the Captain of the Port? Shometing shmells shtinky to me here!

SOMEONE NEEDS TO INVESTIGATE THIS BULLSHIT

After reading the above posts, and looking at the photo, it occurred to me they might have lost the rudder or some part thereof. Seemingly well equipped sail boat well offshore, with sails uncovered on the boom (you know, like they were sailing) . Using that often talked about Google feature, I found a report that they had lost the steering. I call that not under command, and if they felt like they didn’t have a fix for it, they needed help. I doubt Seatow felt like taking their whaler for a ride out to get them. Seems like a reasonable use of my tax dollars.

Like I speculated earlier…SOMEONE WHO DOESN’T BELONG OFFSHORE PANICKED!

When you loose steering you JURY RIG AN EFFING RUDDER THEN!

I pray that at least the USCG bills these FUCKING AMATEURS for costs!

If you ever get into trouble offshore in that little wooden boat of yours, I sure hope someone shoreside will vouch for you and decline any assistance.

Edit – I hate to mince words, so allow me to clarify: I hope you die on your boat.

Edit edit – Soon.

[QUOTE=BowchickaBowditch;124157]If you ever get into trouble offshore in that little wooden boat of your, I sure hope someone shoreside will vouch for you and decline any assistance.

Edit – I hate to mince words, so allow me to clarify: I hope you die on your boat.

Edit edit – Soon.[/QUOTE]

Kind sir, in case you doubt my ability to safely sail my vessel well offshore, the good ship ORCA has 8 survival suits, 1 10man inflatable raft, 2 406mHz EPIRBs, a 2.5" gasoline dewatering pump, an e-genset (an aircooled 5kW diesel), 6 bilge pumps (2x110v and 4x24v), 3 total battery banks, fixed fire extinguishing system in E/R, 8xportable extinguishers, a SSB, 3xVHFs, a DC kit, all hatches in main deck are W/T Baier type, forward and after E/R bulkheads are watertight, I have a stability booklet, spares for all engine pumps and starter, and I have equipment aboard to JURY RIG A FUCKING RUDDER! I also carry enough canvas to jury rig a sail if necessary …

So my most gentle SIR, you may now EAT ME very much! But thanks for giving me a reason to post a photo of the mighty ORCA again here. Will need to provide an update of her refit progress soon.

it just amazes me that some people feel the need to be such douches!..oh well I guess?

The CG towed in another one of the Salty Dog Regatta WAFI’s.
I wonder is there a policy shift and the CG is back in the towing business?

I think the 150 miles is the reason no comercial towing company did the tow. We came to the aid of some fisherman who lost their engine about 70 miles out. They had a contract with Sea-Tow, but Sea-Tow kindly pointed out the fine print stating they would not go beyond 50 miles offshore when the fishermen called for assistance. They wanted us to tow them the 20 mile diffference where Sea-Tow said they would meet them. Sounds like crap to me, but apparently the industry norm for towing/assist companies to not go beyond 50 miles.

50 miles 1 way in those Sea Tow RIB’s is still a heck of a ride.
I would not want to get the call to go 50 out in who knows what weather to retrieve some recreational guy who’s having a bad day.

150 miles out is a little past seatows range. The CG still does towing when the seatow companies arent equipped to do so. They should have handed the tow off as soon a safely allowed however.

[QUOTE=BowchickaBowditch;124157]If you ever get into trouble offshore in that little wooden boat of your, I sure hope someone shoreside will vouch for you and decline any assistance.

Edit edit – Soon.[/QUOTE]
PURELY INAPPROPRIATE to wish death on anyone. BUT alot of us would like to die on a boat, it seems like a great place to me.

[QUOTE=seacomber;124176]BUT alot of us would like to die on a boat, it seems like a great place to me.[/QUOTE]

Not for me! I plan to die in bed…with at least two or preferably three hookers.

Either that or die in a hail of bullets with guns blazing just like ol Butch and Sundance did!

[QUOTE=“c.captain;124178”]

Not for me! I plan to die in bed…with at least two or preferably three hookers![/QUOTE]

The goal in life is not to die comfortably but, rather, to skid into the grave with a cigar in one hand, a tumbler of single malt in the other, your body totally worn out, and two (or three) nubile lasses clinging to you and bellowing at the top of your lungs, “Yeeha! What a ride!”

[QUOTE=kzoo pilot;124181]The goal in life is not to die comfortably but, rather, to skid into the grave with a cigar in one hand, a tumbler of single malt in the other, your body totally worn out, and two (or three) nubile lasses clinging to you and bellowing at the top of your lungs, “Yeeha! What a ride!”[/QUOTE]
You are talking about real living now, those endings would certainly beat passing on a highway. Back on the statement of wishing ill will on someone. it reminded me of a saying handed down, “to wish ill will on someone generally brings it closer to yourself.”

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;124175]150 miles out is a little past seatows range. The CG still does towing when the seatow companies arent equipped to do so. They should have handed the tow off as soon a safely allowed however.[/QUOTE]

You know, I’d gladly take ORCA out 150 miles to pick up a tow but at a whopping 8kts it’d take me almost 20 hours to get there and longer to get back. Course, I’d also expect to be paid to do it and not just in beer!

[QUOTE=“kzoo pilot;124181”]

The goal in life is not to die comfortably but, rather, to skid into the grave with a cigar in one hand, a tumbler of single malt in the other, your body totally worn out, and two (or three) nubile lasses clinging to you and bellowing at the top of your lungs, “Yeeha! What a ride!”[/QUOTE]

Hunter S. Thompson said something like that once.

[QUOTE=kzoo pilot;124181]The goal in life is not to die comfortably but, rather, to skid into the grave with a cigar in one hand, a tumbler of single malt in the other, your body totally worn out, and two (or three) nubile lasses clinging to you and bellowing at the top of your lungs, “Yeeha! What a ride!”[/QUOTE]

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming and crying like the passengers in his van.

[QUOTE=c.captain;124158] [B][I][U]JURY RIG A FUCKING RUDDER![/U][/I][/B] [/QUOTE]

Sound like a reasonable idea … considering the fools have a tender that they apparently didn’t even bother to put over the side in an attempt to rig a jury rudder the whole thing stinks … the CG should have offered to call a tug company. Why does everyone think Seatow is the only towing game on the coast? No lives were at risk by the look of things, just a bunch of incompetent idiots who picked up a microphone before thinking about how to solve a problem that is theirs alone, not anyone elses.

If they were sinking or dying, fair enough, get help but for Chrissake, too stupid or lazy to rig a jury rudder … gimme a break.

Hey, we need to drink sometime!