Some guy "stole" the Victoria Clipper IV last night

She was tied to pier 69 in Seattle and some fellow got untied her and went aboard. It sounds like folks from the office noticed but first were calling around to see if it was being taken for maintenance and then contracted a tug. The tug’s crew discovered the boarder and alerted the Coast Guard. The Seattle Police SWAT team ended up boarding and arresting him before sending the bomb squad aboard. Sounds like he’s being held on charges of failing to register as a sex offender while they figure out what to charge him with. What an odd start to the day.

Seatle Times

Darrell Bryan, chief executive officer of Clipper Navigation, said he was in his office about 5 a.m., worrying about the wind and high waves, when he noticed the boat about 100 feet from the dock. He said he knew it was due for repair and not scheduled to be refueled. He called all the captains to see if they were on the boat and when they weren’t, he concluded the boat had been stolen. The man was able to start the boat because he apparently had some knowledge of boats, Bryan said. The boat has a joy stick and, according to the vessel superintendent, John Jacoby, the thief tried to use it like it was “an XBox,” causing the boat to go in circles.

KIRO TV Story
Seattle P.I.
Seattle Police Blog

The boat has a joy stick and, according to the vessel superintendent, John Jacoby, the thief tried to use it like it was “an XBox,” causing the boat to go in circles.

That’s what I did about a year ago when they asked if I had ever tried steering a ship and let me in the controls…

“Look, I just made a figure eight with a 12,000-ton ship!”

T’was fun.

Did he really think there was any way that was going to end well?

It’s not like he was “borrowing” an outboard for a quick zip around the lake…

We have some mechanically inclined crazies in Seattle

Interesting story. Here’s a litlle more background:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/53708853/ns/local_news-seattle_wa/#.UpyXo8RDuSo

Now the Seattle PI is reporting that

A convicted felon under state supervision who took a Victoria Clipper ship Sunday morning was trying to run for Canada, Seattle police investigators now contend.

Arrested aboard the $8 million high-speed ferry, the Preston man is alleged to have celebrated his 33rd birthday by stealing the ship from Pier 69 in downtown Seattle and heading for Victoria alone.

There’s also agCaptain Post about his $200k bail.

This is also probably a good reminder that if your vessel has locks perhaps they should be used when it is left unattended.

So Im sure he just showed his TWIC card and strolled on in…

[QUOTE=mtskier;125530]So Im sure he just showed his TWIC card and strolled on in…[/QUOTE]
I’ll quote the Port of Seattle Police Detective’s statement of probable cause. where he talks about the “TWIK area”.

[ATTACH]3795[/ATTACH]

At least they didn’t call it a TWIX card… That’s offensive to an otherwise tasty candy

Just curious - he got underway, then shut down the engines about a mile out to “check out the boat”. After that the engine were not working properly.

Why do you suppose he could not get the engines to re-engage? I think the ferry is a jet drive (not sure) so prop fouling should not be an issue.

I’m just surprised he made it a mile out but then could not finish his joy ride.

Maybe fuel was shut off and he ran the engines dry, could be air who knows a multitude of things could have happened.

Imagine if the fool knew what he was doing. At 30+ knots, I doubt police would have tried to board it. They would have to wait for the fuel to run out - about 65 miles later according the article.

Ah, we could speculate ‘what if’ all day.

Let’s just be thankful thieves are not that smart.

Every redneck guy I’ve ever met calls it a TWIX card. Gives me a tic.

If that’s a jet boat its probably easy enough a monkey can drive, most of those cat ferries are. They have quite a few monkeys driving them!

Yes, especially monkeys that love talking on the radio!

Rodge-O!!

PS why must they announce a mile south of the jetties that they are headed for Flotation Canal. And then repeat themselves every 5 minutes after that.

The clipper is gas turbine so I would imagine a little bit of sophistication to fire that baby up, driving with a joystick would indeed be the easy part.

[QUOTE=rshrew;125795]The clipper is gas turbine …[/QUOTE]

A pair of MTU 396s … I think they swapped out the GTs a few years ago because of operating costs.

Hard to believe the MTUs are all that much cheaper though.

I liked this story a lot more when I thought it was going to be about someone stealing a real clipper thinking they were going to be a pirate…

[QUOTE=tasteless;125812]I liked this story a lot more when I thought it was going to be about someone stealing a real clipper thinking they were going to be a pirate…[/QUOTE]

Sorry to disappoint.

Pirates of yesteryear:

Pirates of yesterday: