Ferry Accident in NYC

Just heard on the news that around 50 passengers were injured on a high speed ferry in NY harbor. Some injuries are supposedly critical. Accident seemed to have happen while docking. Anybody up there heard otherwise?

Your info is fairly spot on. They had what the news is calling a “hard landing”.

I’ll shake the bushes, I have some friends in that neck of the woods and on high speed boats

Seastreak Wall Street, looks like it hit the dock pretty good and everyone who didn’t listen to directions was standing during docking. That’s a CP wheel boat as well, frozen pitch?

57 injured, 1 critical.

She’s jet drive

Recently re-powered, lost the jet drives. Amazing people finally realized they arent all they are cracked up to be.

Latest news posted on the homepage…http://gcaptain.com/injured-critical-york-harbor/

False, recently switched from quad jets to twin CP. There are even pictures on their Facebook. But hey, call me an asshole.

I suppose they will want to outlaw ferries now.

Well if you aren’t coming in too fast there is still plenty off time to kill the engine if pitch is stuck at full. If both were stuck at full he could have simply turned the boat back out to open water. Of course that’s if he didn’t wait until the last minute to slow down and had room to turn. I have never been on a ferry in that area so I have no idea at what distance they start to slow down prior to landing. Those ferry guys up in NY/NJ area have had some issues in recent years. Hope the captain wasn’t hiding the fact he was on some kind of meds. The CG is already getting strict with the physicals this could speed up the rule change to all of us having a yearly.

IIRC they come in hot. East river side of manhattan next to the helipads, south street sea port. Current RIPS. seeing as boat is fairly fresh out of the yard if it is mechanical the Cg will be in a tough spot.

From another thread on this forum:

[QUOTE=tugmstr;22464]“Mr. Mate, never approach anything faster than your willing to hit it”.[/QUOTE]

They have to come in fast with the East River running as strong as she does. Just like the Staten Island Ferries where they dock in Lower Manhattan. And like traitor Yankee said, whomever was standing was who got hurt, not those who listened and were seated.

Wonder if the captain had time to alert any passengers over a PA.

Here’s a screenshot of some AIS from this morning. Accident occurred at approx 08:45

[QUOTE=Hooligansailor;93960]I suppose they will want to outlaw ferries now.[/QUOTE]

Hooligansailor, that’s a hoot. Like your username, btw.
I was gonna post "but that’s against the law but thought better of it. Don’t want any more members pissed at me.

[QUOTE=Tugboater203;93948]Your info is fairly spot on. They had what the news is calling a “hard landing”.[/QUOTE]

I experienced a few hard landings in my life time but that’s another forum.

Not good, not good at all.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;93972]Well if you aren’t coming in too fast there is still plenty off time to kill the engine if pitch is stuck at full. If both were stuck at full he could have simply turned the boat back out to open water. Of course that’s if he didn’t wait until the last minute to slow down and had room to turn. I have never been on a ferry in that area so I have no idea at what distance they start to slow down prior to landing. Those ferry guys up in NY/NJ area have had some issues in recent years. Hope the captain wasn’t hiding the fact he was on some kind of meds. The CG is already getting strict with the physicals this could speed up the rule change to all of us having a yearly.[/QUOTE]

I hate to hear of any accidents or injuries from any commercial marine fields. Somehow, we all end up jumping through more hoops after.

Things change. Didn’t know she was changed over. So there you go Asshole.