Ferry Accident in NYC

[QUOTE=Tugted;94017]Things change. Didn’t know she was changed over. So there you go Asshole.[/QUOTE]

Not nice!
Not nice at all Tugted.

Here are the damage photos:
http://gcaptain.com/ferry-damage-photos/

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;93972]Well if you aren’t coming in too fast there is still plenty off time to kill the engine if pitch is stuck at full. If both were stuck at full he could have simply turned the boat back out to open water. Of course that’s if he didn’t wait until the last minute to slow down and had room to turn. I have never been on a ferry in that area so I have no idea at what distance they start to slow down prior to landing. Those ferry guys up in NY/NJ area have had some issues in recent years. Hope the captain wasn’t hiding the fact he was on some kind of meds. The CG is already getting strict with the physicals this could speed up the rule change to all of us having a yearly.[/QUOTE]

I hope that everyone including the crew members are safe, I worked for these guys within the last couple of years. They are a pretty amateur company, and would really have no idea how to do any of the above. Boat handling, and seamen ship ranked well bellow bar tending and ticket sales.

O have to wonder if they carried Licensed Engineers onboard. There boats try to run with the minumin manning as possible. Would having a Licensed Engineer onboard have made a difference? We may never know but it could not hurt.

[QUOTE=ForkandBlade;94015]I hate to hear of any accidents or injuries from any commercial marine fields. Somehow, we all end up jumping through more hoops after.[/QUOTE]

Isn’t that the truth. One of the Houston pilots gave me one of my favorite nautical sayings “Nothing goes faster then an almost stopped ship”

From the picture, it doesn’t appear to be CPP it looks more like fixed pitch propellers and maybe 4" shafts? were the specs that told of the shafting and the prop addition actually state CPP?

Though the Seastreak Wall Street last passed inspection in July, suspicion has been cast on a new propeller system that was installed last summer in an effort to make the ferry “more efficient, more green,” in the words of a spokesman. According to the Post, employees have been complaining about the propeller system:
Dee Wertz, who witnessed yesterday’s crash, said that just before the smashup, a ferry worker told her the captains of the Seastreak Wall Street had griped that the ship was difficult to steer.
“He was telling me that none of these guys like this boat,” she said.
With a round-trip fare of $45, we’re surprised anyone likes this boat.

re: re-power http://www.marinelog.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2856:seastreak

The NTSB is going nuts all over the web about this one. why not the kulluk?

CPP it is.

People are hurt and its NYC is my guess

No, they do not run with a license engineer. The “engineer” is someone that is designated from the company, just as qualified as the bartender. It must be a slow news week, these guys are getting blasted, i just hope everyone is ok in the long run. I doubt that they will survive this one, most of the passengers live in a very expensive areas of NJ and probably have great lawyers. From personal experience I can say that, this is a fairly amateur operation, with more focus on ticket and bar sales then on seamenship and boat handling, even the “mate” was unlicensed. More of a boat/yacht kind of a company then professional mariners. It must be a slow news week, this was all over the papers this morning in the NYC area, along with a picture of the captain.

I cant find the link but I read that the captain said the boat didnt shift into reverse.

It’s just a total crap place to land and sail a ferry from. Been there on a 5k hp zdrive tug and it still blows. My guess is “operator error” in that the controls got somehow switched into a different pitch/throttle mode that did not order reverse pitch. Entirely based off speculation but that seems most likely if all engineering was satisfactory.

I would have to lean towards a goof up while switching control stations. Had it been frozen pitch I would think they wouldn’t have gotten it tied up so neatly afterwards. Perhaps when he switched to the wing station he didn’t engage the pitch levers and when he switched back to the center station sent them to the wing station in a panic. My roommate has run quite a few of the fast ferries in NY and Boston, he’s been on this boat so I’ll send him a message to see if he remembers what the switch over procedure on the controls is.

I agree it was probably a mix up switching stations. Some of the newest control systems have very tight tolerances on matching the throttles and rudder angles when switching. They are also not installing override switches. Must not have been a second license in the wheelhouse to help get control back.

[ATTACH]2821[/ATTACH]
photo of the hull of the Seastreak Wall Street taken at Highlands, NJ by Bill Benson, posted with his permission.

'Tis nothing a little expanding foam won’t fix.

And some red hand

[QUOTE=“Traitor Yankee;95150”]

And some red hand[/QUOTE]

I know you worked down south! That’s some good shit.

I catch myself saying y’all and c’mon on occasion at home, the miss’s loves to poke fun at me