So we now have a nominee for Joe Biden's SecTrans

ULCC’s are unloaded well offshore by feeder vessels which can handle the draft inshore.

Most ports in the world serves ships of any register!!!
What do you want US ports to do??

2 Likes

Actually, Trump beat them to it by his DNI pick awhile back. It’s just that the MSM doesn’t report anything positive.

3 Likes

You are obviously confusing an ultra large crude carrier with an ultra large container carrier. Yes, large crude carriers are lightered into smaller shuttle tankers (foreign flagged of course) before their cargo arrives at a US refinery but to offload a large container carrier offshore into smaller vessels would be quite a trick to pull off not even mentioning the astronomical cost to do so even if you could.

what I want MarAd to do is to spend less time and money on fostering US ports which are covered by multiple agencies and more time and money on fostering US flagged shipping which has no other agency tasked with maintaining its health (which it has obviously failed to do now for more decades than I care to contemplate)

2 Likes

well don’t get your hopes up because I am not a regular participant here anymore…too many topics I consider inane and sometimes even asinine.

An honest mistake

1 Like

ULCC, same moniker for two different vessels. I was referring to crude as you well know. not container transfer. It is not logical nor practical. My hopes are not up on your behalf, but enjoy your responses, like them or not. Peace bro.

Really? Never would of thought that if my internet only loaded one page…GCaptain forum.

Currently port of Virginia has obtained 8 mega cranes and dredging to 55 ft is ongoing to handle the large container ships and other deep draft vessels. DOT had an influence/cash in that, however large or small. The state has put their coins in as well. A good investment for the port.

1 Like

Well, Corpus is dredging to something like 65’ for VLCCs (crude, not container).

I may be off a bit how deep Norfolk is dredging. Hopefully, Corpus is widening the long reach as well.

The big container ships are ULCS, that’s what tugsailor was talking about, Apparent from the context - raising bridge height to allow passage.

With the exception of the “climate change” malarkey (Joey’s term, not mine) this plan is very similar to what Donnie proposed four years ago.

All these plans everyone has worry me because where is all this money going to come from? Writing off college loans from whiny, failed college grads?

Haven’t worried about where the money comes from for years. The government has adopted MMT, they just haven’t said it out loud.

1 Like

I’m confused as to why people think Buttigieg is a diversity hire. He’s not. This is simple political payback for exiting the primary race two days ahead of Super Tuesday so Biden could win. That Biden gets to check the gay box is just icing on the cake for him.

3 Likes

STOP! You are not supposed to bring that up.

There are no back room deals in DC. Joe is not like that. He is an “outsider”.

2 Likes

Sorry, my bad.

1 Like

Nailed it squidly. Loyalty rules, but not rewarded at times. This one was rewarded, regardless of experience in the job.

You’re right. Don’t tell anybody. They will think you are a conspiracy nut.