So we now have a nominee for Joe Biden's SecTrans

but why this guy? What background does he have to be in his new position? I would think he would be better suited to be Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. Is this a nomination offered as a political gift for Buttigeig’s early support of Biden? If so, I am very disappointed in Biden’s pick! Not a good start at all for any kind of new increased level of support for a US Merchant Marine! Does this guy even know what the US flag signifies when it is flying from the stern of a ship?

I am not happy this morning.

1 Like

Until he screws up, I’m giving him (& Biden) the benefit of the doubt & remain neutral.

But you are kind of right, if you expect the worst you’ll never be disappointed. But no reason to be in a bad mood for something that hasn’t happened yet. He might do okay.

e38cba9903f633fde9b6aac7e8e76032

2 Likes

I am not saying anything negative about Buttigeig but believe he is not the best possible pick to be the Secretary of Transportation. His background as mayor of South Bend, Indiana would make him a very good pick to be HUD Secretary but why SecTrans? What does he bring to the position?

2 Likes

I’m surprised that they worked that one out, instead of the China envoy post that had been mentioned. I haven’t learned much about Pete other than what I assimilated during the debates, but I think that guy is always the most intelligent person in the room.
The beauty of his appointment is that he doesn’t appear to have a specific interest. Elaine Chao most certainly did, and I’m sure there’s someone who has an opposing viewpoint that would love the job. I’m looking forward to a smart guy looking at the job as problems to solve.

More interested in who replaces Admiral Buzby at Marad.

3 Likes

Of coarse it’s not about qualifications. It’s about the appearance of having a “diverse” cabinet and political pay back… The Pres elect is already bragging about nominating the first openly gay cabinet member.
Both parties do it and it will never change

7 Likes

It doesn’t look like he has much sea time, and being in the navy isn’t necessarily a qualification for anything at all…but since he served for 8 years as a naval reserve officer I’d guess the answer is yes.

Exactly. The appearance of diversity and progressiveness trumps everything.

A gay guy whose name is easy to mispronounce as “Butt-gig” and who was supposedly known as “Mayor Pothole” seems perfect for Secretary of Transportation.

‘Merchant Marine”? You mean that archaic subsidized industry that refuses to employ enough women and discriminates against immigrants by only employing US Citizens as officers? Who cares?

1 Like

At least he is not a PRC spy like Mitch McConnell’s wife who is above reproach.

Talk about a mole; In charge of the DOT and banging or was banging when his plumbing worked, the Senate Majority Leader.

3 Likes

The cabinet secretary really doesn’t do that much, the career people in the under secretaries do most of the management, the main jobs of the secretary is to get the budget approved and advise POTUS of legislation

1 Like

She has a higher security clearance than most members of congress AND her family is high up in the PRC and runs/owns COSCO Shipping.

3 Likes

My opinion of Ms Chao and Buzby has always been positive. Be careful what you ask for.

2 Likes

Its Foremost, and her sister runs the company.

3 Likes

Are you kidding me? Buzby is ok, but what do you like about Chao?

2 Likes

Foremost Group is an American shipping company with offices in the United States and Asia. Founded in New York in 1964 by Dr. James S.C. Chao and his late wife, Mrs. Ruth Mulan Chu Chao, the company today is a global leader in the dry bulk shipping industry and has earned a worldwide reputation for its commitment to exceptional service and performance while always holding itself to the highest ethical standards.

Again American ignorance at its finest.

3 Likes

…Its ships are registered under the flags of Liberia and Hong Kong.

1 Like

Foremost has had most of its ships built by China State Shipbuilding, some of them financed by loans from the state-owned [Export-Import Bank of China]

(Export–Import Bank of China - Wikipedia).[13][14] In 2015 it began construction of the first freighter jointly financed by banks in both the People’s Republic of China and Taiwan.

1 Like

HEY! I work hard to be able to sit at my house on my days off, work in the yard, and make tasteless Dad jokes.

Regardless, I still believe that there is a connection between the good senator’s wife and as long as Section 230 is the law of the land, I can do that. Though I wish it was removed and it was easier to find hard news for the unwashed masses like me to read not idle speculation in social media like mine.

2 Likes

Hey Chief - she was born in Taiwan! ! ! Now that doesn’t automatically disqualify her as being a spook, but the few Taiwanese I ran across didn’t particularly like PRC. . .

Just sayin’

4 Likes

Still uses PRC banks I see. Money is money.