Slow times

You might call this year in the GOM the Audacity of Nope…

Our company has just cut most of our unlicensed people in the first RIW lay off we’ve ever had. Nearly half of our division’s employees. So, we’re not hiring any more…

Our office folks say they want to keep the hard to replace among us, and I’m sure they will do what they must, but the future looks terrible in the gulf drilling business.

Hey Presidente! I know some shovel ready projects!

Oh wait, he doesn’t care about drilling, except in Brazil where the US gov just financed a huge offshore drilling project for PetroBras…

Keep your powder dry folks.

-dennis

You’re not helping my “eternally optimistic” outlook on sailing . . . if Seaway shipping went in the pot (which tanked last fall), I could always go back on the lakers (crapped out last fall too), and finally I figured I could always pack a bag and head to the Gulf looking for a billiet and ship AB . . . yeah, great plan!

At some point this needs to turn around but I am lost as to when that may occur. The mills up here are starting to reline furnaces and a local company that manufactures the crucibles for moving molten steel from the furnace to the rolling line is starting a second shift, but nothing is coming down the pipe on the shipping side. Lots of boats are still laid up and some guys haven’t worked since January. Tough time all over!

Meanwhile, money flies out of DC to temporary “make-work” projects and nothing seems to improve for long term employment and solid family supporting jobs like the marine sector. Sigh . . .

I’m not sure there’s much hope for America. The longer we go the further we put our heads up our own keester.

I think your plan is sound reasoning: oil will always run the country, but the new guys in charge seem determined to buy all of it overseas. It’s nutso.

Ah well, I got some job prospects shoreside, consulting and teaching, so I’m hoping I can weather a while if I get cut out here. Ultimate this will end with me robbing my ExPat fund. I’m almost looking forward to early retirement with brown people.

Good luck all…

-dennis

If I recall correctly, there were some members on here that actually thought “he” was going to do good for the country. Wonder how that is working out for them now? Any regrets about the voting decision? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Capt Brian;17145]If I recall correctly, there were some members on here that actually thought “he” was going to do good for the country. Wonder how that is working out for them now? Any regrets about the voting decision? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Nope, no regrets. Pretty happy to not have my brother or cousin getting their asses shot at anymore. Their pretty happy too, by the way. So are their kids.

Thank God for Obama! Things are slow right now,but he was handed this mess,he did not create it. Where were all the “outraged people” when the last guy held office. I think they were too busy carrying water and taking it up the tail pipe from the last guy (Bush)and didn’t have enough courage to say anything,but now all of a sudden they have grown a pair.

So what are the chances of your VOLUNTEER brother and cousin going to Afghanistan? It aint over yet.
Nearly all of our “ALL Volunteer Force” service members have either enlisted, reenlisted, got commissioned, or didn’t resign commissions since 2002. Any that weren’t “pretty happy” should have got out or not joined.

There were MANY times I wasn’t “pretty happy”, but the choice to stay in was mine and so were consequences!

Sorry for digressing from Mariner issues.:slight_smile:

Capt.Fran, don’t forget Iraq is far from over also. So Obama hasn’t really done anything for your volunteer brother or cousin.

Captains,

In my line of work, Seismic Support, there has recently been a dramatic increase in the number of seismic work. There are some new areas off FL, MS, and LA that are now being explored. I’m hoping that this is the first sign that there will be more deep-water drilling in the GOM soon.

Lets hope so…

Curt

[QUOTE=curtgetz;17513]Captains,

In my line of work, Seismic Support, there has recently been a dramatic increase in the number of seismic work. There are some new areas off FL, MS, and LA that are now being explored. I’m hoping that this is the first sign that there will be more deep-water drilling in the GOM soon.

Lets hope so…

Curt[/QUOTE]

There’s going to be more drilling.