Optimism for 2013?

It appears that marine company’s along the GOM will be busy in 2013 and perhaps the next several years producing offshore vessels to meet the expected growth. There is a lot of domestic boat building underway with some solid contracts as well as some fat backlogs extending for some well into 2014. Further exploration in the GOM, along with development of discoveries should further that growth while operators step up their hiring and perhaps training. One company I follow will continue its aggressive new-build campaign in 2013, they currently have over 20 vessels under construction, who will man theses? Maybe move current employees around instead of a big hiring process. I suspect that those vessels that left our waters for foreign waters after the drilling moratorium will soon return, does this mean more opportunity’s, maybe not. Never the less, to someone who is not yet finished with their military career hoping to find employment in the offshore industry this all sounds promising. Do those of you see this as a constant cycle of up and down job growth? Will the hiring currently going on eventually plateau?

From previous experiences, I would guess 5-7 good years before the next slow down barring another big accident.

Always has been up and down that’s why I preach to young guys to save their silver.

I’m glad you’ve seen signs of optimism Hooligansailor, because I was just thinking the other day that companies seem to be a bit bloated right now, sort of slowing down like after a big dinner. Maybe I’m wrong but I just have this feeling that hiring isn’t quite what it was a year or two ago. I could be way off base here so I hope you’re very right and I’m very wrong. Either way time will tell.

Fraqrat and I have been preaching this spring the gate will bust open and anybody who can pass a piss test and has TWIC will be able to find a job by the end of summer. I’ve even seen in print boat companies saying since the moratorium ended that it would be 2013 when things really start to pick back up. To tell the truth though things for the last year have been good, 2009 to 2011 where rough years. Its just winter right now things are slow like they are every year.

I predict post Katrina levels of hiring, along with the pay raises that came with that buy the years end, and come 2015 when the first planned export natural gas terminal comes on line in Sabine things are really going to go insane.

Jem and Fraq know more than I do, but I have talked to a couple HR guys down there about engineering jobs and they basically said they will be scrambling to find people in the next couple years. They were saying that most guys with licenses can be hired on the spot. I hear it will be booming until 2020. Again these are rumors I hear but it sounds promising

On a side note I remember about 10 years ago I was working the ferries and one of the academies job placement coordinator was riding and I talked with her about the future of US merchant mariners and jobs. She was telling me that the majority of officers were over age 50 and the rate of retirees Vs incoming officers the pretty big. Not many people were getting out of school and going to sea anymore. That’s why academies have been boasting 90 to 100% job placement upon graduating. There was a big push in coming up with ways to entice people to sail. She was saying that two thing companies were looking at to get more sailors, money and less time at sea. Again that was 10 years ago and I dont see anymore people coming out here now than I did then so I think the shortage will continue. As an engineer I get people calling or emailing me quite often about opportunities ashore. I bet other are getting them as well and if they are accepting them, then that leaves more vacancies out here.

I have worked in and out of supplyboats since 1981 right out of HS. (yes I am old). Then off to an academy and back the GOM after Graduation. Was let go in the late 80’s when a slowdown hit.
That is how it goes. Worked there in the 90’s and in Venezuela in the 90’s . Worked ashore also for awhile. Planning on going back to the GOM later this year, as I think a boom is coming.
The industry goes up and down like a yoyo. Thanks Jem and Fraq.

I’m still on active duty (13years) and don’t plan to do a day over twenty. I am currently taking advantage if the GI Bill and getting the appropriate endorsements for my time at sea (8years), hopefully a AB unlimited and STCW, Prof in Lifeboat and all that jazz. Fact of the matter is, do i jump ship and go reserves to get in the game while the time is “good” or gamble and fulfill my 20 year active duty hoping the opportunity’s will be there the day I tell “Homeland Falcesecurity” to F-off, the dice are in the air. There are a lot of us military folks out here that are interested, and some including myself have a serious drive to pursue a career in the offshore industry. However, as we all know the cost of training is expensive, and often times many training facility’s are not completely approved by the VA for vets to use their GI Bill. And to ask a veteran to partake in schools like the Paul Hall Center and their regimen is nuts! This often times steers vets away only to seek a different career. Luckily if one does a little research they can find places to obtain the necessary training that is approved by the VA. I have noticed over the last 5 years that more and more vocational and maritime training related schools are getting with the program and gaining approval by the VA, because just as it was when Vietnam was coming to a close, there were a lot of veterans returning home, many without jobs, and there will be twice as many now that we are finishing our business in the sandbox. Maybe the industry will see more employees and job seekers from prior service people than what come out of the academy’s! Time will tell.

I’m in a similar boat as you hooligan. But I’ve been Guard/Reserves since high school. STAY ACTIVE and retire. At least you’ll have $omething coming in down the road. Get all the certs you can while you’re in. Then about 5-6 months out really start popping apps. All I have is twit card and OS… no stcw or anything. Its rough trying to find a job. A lot of union guys are flooding the job market right now(so I’ve been told). Just stick it out man!

The way I saw it was that even after retirement at 20yrs, I would still have to work somewhere else to afford the life I had become accustomed to (50% of base pay is way less than 50% of gross military income). Might as well get a foothold in the industry now, finish up the last 10yrs in the reserves and collect at age 60ish. With 6yrs USCG seatime, 5 as DWO, the CG approved me for 2nd Mate/1600 Master Oceans. Some of the classes can be covered by tuition assistance and the assessments can be signed off by your Commanding Officer. MSC training centers offer free classes to active duty as well.

It was hard leaving the job security of the federal government, but the current tempo in the GOM convinced me that it was a good time to take that risk. I have really enjoyed starting off in this industry, working half the year, and bringing home more than I did as a BMC stationed on a Cutter in San Francisco.

As for Veterans, It is my perception that GOM companies like to hire them on the account they may be more accustomed to long work hours and long periods of time away from family. I think it would be safe to say that a qualified Veteran has a solid chance of gaining employment in the Gulf.

You might want to consider completing 20 yrs for both the retirement AND the tri care medical prescription drug benifits. The drug benifits have been very helpful to my wife and I as we got older. Just something to consider

[QUOTE=Captsail;96892]You might want to consider completing 20 yrs for both the retirement AND the tri care medical prescription drug benifits. The drug benifits have been very helpful to my wife and I as we got older. Just something to consider[/QUOTE]

Very good advice,

I did my 20 and as mentioned, got 50% of base pay, which actually is 30-40% of gross pay. No where enough to live on. However…I got tricare medical insurance for free for me and my family. Tricare is not the best insurance around, especally for retirees, but it has been a lifesaver compared to some of the marine companies offered insurance. Most boat companys offer pretty good insurance for the mariner after 90 days, but the family plans can kill you with the cost.

I have seen may mariners stay with a job and company they hate, jus because they did not want to wait out a new 90 period to get thier family insured.

SO…stay for your 20 if you can, the Tricare medical for life can be a “life saver” (sorry,bad pun) when it comes to taking care of your family, or for giving you options when it comes time to make a step up.

Ocean31

I agree, the medical benefits of Active Duty or Retired are unmatched in the civilian sector and definitely something to consider. If getting out at the 10 or more year mark, staying in the Reserves and taking advantage of Tricare Reserve Select would be the way to go. Its still not free but better than the civilian company medical benefits that I have come across.

I hope you are right about work picking up. My boat just got stacked for lack of work. We have two out of six crewboats working at this time. I think it might be a mangament issue more than any thig else.

Do your 20, for all the obvious reasons you already know. Keep getting every school/training/qualification you can documented and signed off. Make sure you have 90 days of seatime during years 17-20, for recency.

Guys in the Gulf, do you think this perceived boom could even be great enough to overcome the catch 22 of mates without DP experience being hired?

It’s managment.

[QUOTE=rkbakula;96924]I hope you are right about work picking up. My boat just got stacked for lack of work. We have two out of six crewboats working at this time. I think it might be a mangament issue more than any thig else.[/QUOTE]

It’s management.

[QUOTE=SailorJerry;96967]Guys in the Gulf, do you think this perceived boom could even be great enough to overcome the catch 22 of mates without DP experience being hired?[/QUOTE]

It will, but the first step will be do you have oil filed experience. Then when everybody who has oil field experience is happy where they are then it will be “Hey do you have a license?”

After Katrina guys where getting thrown in the wheel house who had just gotten their license with time from their sail boats. Needless to say it was a scary time to be a deckhand.

It already has. Before this, I had no time in the oil field, along with many others in my new hire class.