SLNC Goodwill Death

I’ve been seeing some posts about a Third Engineering passing away in an accident on the Goodwill. Does anyone know what happened?

I heard crank case explosion a couple of days ago, but it hasn’t been confirmed. The third was a ‘19 grad of Maine Maritime

I’ve heard A/E flywheel broke apart …

Haven’t heard anything about this yet.
When did this happen?

From today’s Wheelhouse Weekly…

SEAFARING TRAGEDIES

With great sorrow we report the tragic deaths of three MM&P members during the past month.

Third Mate Jonathan Morris, a member of the Federal Employees Membership Group, took his own life on July 22 aboard the USNS AMELIA EARHART while in port on deployment with the Fifth Fleet.

Less than two weeks later, on Aug. 3, Offshore member Third Assistant Engineer Trent Lloyd-Rees was killed in a machinery accident aboard the MT SLNC GOODWILL.

Finally, in what makes this one of the worst months in recent memory of our Union, Captain Timothy M. Murray, a member of the Sandy Hook Pilots Association, died from injuries suffered during a boarding accident on the night of Aug. 5.

Captain Murray is the second Sandy Hook pilot to be killed on the job in eight months.

“These tragic deaths of accomplished mariners underscore the hazards of our occupation and the fragility of life,” said MM&P President Don Marcus.

“The officers and crews of the USNS AMELIA EARHART and the MT SLNC GOODWILL are devastated by the loss of their exceptionally promising and well-liked shipmates.”

“In New York Harbor, Sandy Hook Pilot Association members, MM&P boat crews and the entire maritime community are in shock over the loss of yet another Pilot.”

In addition to extending our deepest condolences to the families, friends and shipmates of our three Union Brothers, MM&P urges all members to be vigilant and to remember the unforgiving nature of our jobs.

8 Likes

Horrible tragedy. Trent was a very sharp man and had a very successful future ahead of him. Truly sad when such a young soul is taken so early.

Heard about this last week. Maine Maritime has already started a scholarship in his name. Trent was a great young man

1 Like