Sleep apnea

Has anyone recently encountered any issues with prospective employers regarding sleep apnea?

Background: I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea a couple of years ago after participating in an overnight sleep study. I did not want to have to go the CPAP route, so I made some serious changes. I was able to ultimately correct the condition with significant weight loss. Although not currently an issue, I have concerns that the past diagnosis may affect my hiring prospects in the Gulf. Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

for God’s sake…RED FLAG WARNING!..DO NOT tell the USCG you were diagnosed with that

If you have that written in your record. You might want to get a note from the physician saying “the issue has been corrected and you no longer suffer from this condition”, or something along those lines. Other than that you definitely don’t want it on your record. Various transportation accidents over the past few years have put it in their big red flag list.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;132221]If you have that written in your record. You might want to get a note from the physician saying “the issue has been corrected and you no longer suffer from this condition”, or something along those lines. Other than that you definitely don’t want it on your record. Various transportation accidents over the past few years have put it in their big red flag list.[/QUOTE]

Second that, as well as for any other condition for that matter (a bad cough, hangnail, anything) I would have the doctor write up a detailed letter saying it is no longer an issue based off of specific reasons and offer dates in being as detailed as possible. Easier than have it rather thank ask them to fax something last minute while waiting on a job offer.

Thank you for the responses so far.

Red flag warning heeded - thank you for the reminder. The medical record itself does have a detailed explanation of past symptoms and corrective actions taken. My physician will be typing a letter for me to have on file, I just won’t have it immediately available to take with me to Louisiana. I’ll have to request a faxed copy from the physician if necessary.

I’m just hoping this won’t be a game over situation with the prospective employer. I’ve been down that road before with an imperfect MRI given by a large, very picky, offshore company.