Medical Issues, Dang it!

So it finally happened to me, age caught up with me and I have a new medical issue to deal with. I’ve been reading the forums for a few years and learned alot (thank you to all of you) now I’m finally posting. I really need your advice on how to deal with this issue as it relates to NMC. I’ve just been diagnosed with paroxysmal (meaning occasional) atrial fibrillation. The doctor has prescribed a medicine to control the heart rhythm and a blood thinner. He said because I’m very healthy and active this is a fairly common issue and most likely won’t cause a problem for me since we caught it early and are managing it. He said he has airline pilots flying with this condition. I requested and he gave me all my test results, records and a fit for duty letter.

I’ve read every thread I could find and I already know I’m in for a long, drawn out, stressful situation with NMC. So…what now? One guy told me to just get my regular coast guard 2 year physical, disclose everything and submit to NMC? Is that correct? Had another advise, “say nothing” (I won’t go that route). How far back will NMC want me to provide medical records? Does NMC get them direct from the provider or do I have to track them down? Can I work during the 6 months (estimate) while NMC evaluates? If I take a sign-on (I sail union) physical and disclose this but don’t have a waiver will the doctor reject me until I get the waiver?

So confused, a bit scarde (about not being able to work for a long, long time) and would really appreciate any input and advice your willing to give.

Welcome, thanks for joining. Great work on nipping the condition in the bud. I am sure you will be fine. Just follow the rules.

Here is 94 pages you may want to get familiar with.

https://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/2008/NVIC%2004-08%20CH%201%20with%20Enclosures%2020130607.pdf

My experience. Last July I went in for my physical early to renew my Medical Certificate. My physician gave me a fit for duty but noted the presence of a heart murmur. This opened the following chain of events from NMC.

NMC requesting further testing for clarification. All the time during the gathering of additional information I was able to work. I received an extension of time while I gathered the additional information requested. Each request for additional information provided an extension of 90 days. As further testing was done, it was determined that I required a quadruple bypass with a mitral valve replacement. My surgery took place on November 19, 2015. While I was going through recovery, on January 26, 2016 I went in for surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurism which required emergency surgery.

My cardiologist and vascular surgeon finally released me to go back to work on May 01, 2016. I sent in my Discharge Summaries from both surgeries and letters from both surgeons attesting to my fit for duty. USCG reviewed my documents and requested additional information due to complications during both surgeries. I had experienced kidney failure, lung problems, and other complications.

I got letters from all the surgeons and doctors that treated me during my surgeries and recoveries attesting to my fitness for duty. I supplied all the testing information they requested. After 90 days of information gathering I finally received my renewed Medical Certificate on September 7, 2016.

I needed to work closely with the doctors and surgeons to make sure the proper information requested was provided.

Good luck.

[QUOTE=Bigshipguy;192839]…I’ve read every thread I could find and I already know I’m in for a long, drawn out, stressful situation with NMC. So…what now? One guy told me to just get my regular coast guard 2 year physical, disclose everything and submit to NMC? Is that correct? Had another advise, “say nothing” (I won’t go that route). [/QUOTE]

You are not required to report changes in your condition when they occur, but must report any conditions when renewing your medical certificate. However, there could be consequences for continuing to work with knowledge of a condition that could compromise your medical fitness.

[QUOTE=Bigshipguy;192839] How far back will NMC want me to provide medical records? Does NMC get them direct from the provider or do I have to track them down? [/QUOTE]

It will depend on the condition. If you don’t provide all of the necessary records, NMC will ask for them. You would expedite things by obtaining as much of the relevant records and providing them with your application. You should also complete a “Third Party Authorization” giving your doctor(s) the authority to communicate directly with the Coast Guard. There is a sample form for this on the NMC web page.

[QUOTE=Bigshipguy;192839]Can I work during the 6 months (estimate) while NMC evaluates? [/QUOTE]

Your medical certificate remains valid until its expiration dates, unless it is formally revoke or suspended, or you voluntarily surrender it. However, as noted above, there could be negative consequences for continuing to work with knowledge of a disqualifying condition.

[QUOTE=Bigshipguy;192839]If I take a sign-on (I sail union) physical and disclose this but don’t have a waiver will the doctor reject me until I get the waiver?[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure exactly what you’re asking. If your medical certificate is still valid (not expired) you would not need the waiver until thhe renewal of the certificate (subject to the disclaimer mentioned twice, above).

Thanks to those that responded (I don’t seem to have a means of “Thanking” as the other responder did?). I absolutely got some solid, tangible, usable info. Thank you Mr. Cavo for letting me know I’m not required to notify the USCG until my med. cert. renewal date which is September 2017. I’ve been advised to start that process several months in advance when issues are present. I plan to submit my renewal in March/April. I will submit all items listed in the NVIC but I read on the related threads that it is very common for NMC to request all medical records for the past 5 years. Is that the case? I was completely fit on all of them so other than the hassle of trying to collect them, there’s nothing on them that I’m concerned about. I will submit them.

The first time I’ll be disclosing this medical condition will be when I get my next ship at the union “sign-on, insurance physical.” I plan to arrive with all related medical records, EKG’s, Holter results, etc. as well as a “fit for duty” letter from my Cardiologist. My concern is that as soon as you mention “heart issue”, no mater how minor it is, everyone goes to red alert. These exams are just a few days before sign on, often over a weekend. If Doc requests further input from my Doc, this disclosure could cost me a job.

Aside from the actual medical concern this relatively minor condition is going to be a huge pain in the butt for the rest of my career. Bummer for me.

Thanks to those that responded (I don’t seem to have a means of “Thanking” as the other responder did?). I absolutely got some solid, tangible, usable info. Thank you Mr. Cavo for letting me know I’m not required to notify the USCG until my med. cert. renewal date which is September 2017. I’ve been advised to start that process several months in advance when issues are present. I plan to submit my renewal in March/April. I will submit all items listed in the NVIC but I read on the related threads that it is very common for NMC to request all medical records for the past 5 years. Is that the case? I was completely fit on all of them so other than the hassle of trying to collect them, there’s nothing on them that I’m concerned about. I will submit them.

Will I be submitting the requested medical records to NMC or will they bypass me and go directly to the medical provider? I prefer to maintain control of exactly what NMC is seeing. Even though I’ll have all the records, I’ll never know for 100% sure what the Doc sent NMC. So…Do I get to collect all requested items and forward them or does NMC go direct to provider? I reealize I’d have to sign consent for NMC to dialougue direct with the Doctor which I guess might be necessary and save time but for the records I prefer to be the one putting them into the envelope.

The first time I’ll be disclosing this medical condition will be when I get my next ship at the union “sign-on, insurance physical.” I plan to arrive with all related medical records, EKG’s, Holter results, etc. as well as a “fit for duty” letter from my Cardiologist. My concern is that as soon as you mention “heart issue”, no mater how minor it is, everyone goes to red alert. These exams are just a few days before sign on, often over a weekend. If Doc requests further input from my Doc, this disclosure could cost me a job.

Aside from the actual medical concern this relatively minor condition is going to be a huge pain in the butt for the rest of my career. Bummer for me.

I’d like to know if NMC gets my medical record directly from my Doctor or if I provide them? I prefer to maintain direct control over what gets sent to NMC.