SIU C Book, can I still find work?

Thanks very much Ed, from my understanding the best places to be for Ferry Work would be NYC and/or Seattle? And assuming I get my AB, do you know how one gets a B book without going to their Boot Camp?

Virginia and North Carolina also have fairly substantial ferry operations, to go from C card to B book SIU membership you’ll need to shop as a C book for a certain amount of time ( check with them) , you should be encouraged if you put in the work.

Stoopid spell check ,ship not shop!

Dudethis is awesome! I had my eye on Richmond, Virginia. Im coming in from Europe (Ex NYC Native) but not going back to NYC because rent is absolutely insane. What would be good locations within those states? I am PSYCHED! Love both of those states.

Check out the Virginia Department of Transportation Jamestown Scotland Ferry running on the James River near Williamsburg, VA. You can get an entry level job there. Look up on VDOT jobs website or contact U.S.Facilities ( Virginia Beach I think).

1 Like

That big long paragraph applies to you.

Cheers Bay that is good news. Was worried this only applied to 3rd Mates.

The North Carolina ferries hire summer positions as well. This info is from last year but the contact info is still the same.

http://www.hydecountync.gov/newsdetail_T73_R2617.php

2 Likes

Agrippa, It is apparent you didn’t read what I wrote. Other persons than yourself sent me private messages before you responded. I inadvertently posted what was meant to be a private response to another forum member on the open to all forum. I then removed it and New3M suggested I put it back up since he felt it had a great deal of good information. I thought about it and did so.

So take a deep breath and read what I wrote. It does apply to you. If you want to get a job as an entry level unlicensed deep sea mariner, your most likely option other than MSC, is to register with the SIU. You will need your MMC, TWIC, medical certificate and current drug free certificate. If you don’t have Basic Safety Training you will need to take that at a USCG approved training center. You will then need to register at an SIU hall, pay a quarter’s dues and be registered as an entry level “C” card / book. The timing is crucial. So do what you need to do to get ready and make your move around mid-May and park your keister in the hall of your choice and wait it out. In one way or another everybody on this forum has been in the same situation as you. Good luck and keep an even strain.

5 Likes

If Agrippa spent as much time calling companies, sitting in a union hall or talking to the USCG as contacting gCaptain odds are Agrippa would have some seatime already. There is no easy entry to this line of work. But it can be done with persistance. I wish Agrippa well.

3 Likes

Thanks Seago, sorry for being snippy. Have alot going on right now and just expect all of this to be impossible, alot of hoops to jump through and I am just so used to failure in life. The recommendation on move time is also perfect as I was planning to head back to the states in Early April, so I can get started getting those licenses as well as my MMC-TWIC

It seems that back in the old days you could just walk to the docks and get hired. These days I am getting alot of conflicting information regarding just being a basic seaman. So far my plan is to head to a location with a working ferry that needs deckhands .Get my Sea Time, AB and then decide where I want to go. Of course I will sign up with SIU as a C Book before that. I really like the Brown Water approach, but I am not picky.

Thanks again for the feedback, very awesome stuff.

This is probably the best paying approach and likely the fastest. OSVs are hiring right now and are some of the few that actually hire OS’s.

1 Like

It takes weeks to get a TWIC, and months to get an MMC.

It may take longer for you because you have been living overseas. The TSA and USCG asks the FBI to do a criminal background check. Then there is Covid slowing things down.

You probably ought apply for your TWIC and MMC right away.

1 Like

Cheers Tug, think I need to wait until I am in the states unless I could fullfill those requirements here in Portugal. Plan to work some rinky dink jobs while waiting for TWIC/MMC.

Also not sure if this is relevant but I kept my residence as my parents house in NYC, hoping this gets around the overseas issue. Including an up to date NY state ID

1 Like

Seago you deserve a medal. Just want to say I’ve been combing the internet looking for this exact information, THANK YOU for putting it so plainly here. Finally confirming the info that I have cobbled together over the last few months.

Is faster to get into SIU or MSC as entry level ?

SIU c book or MSC to be exact

You could get your entry level MMC as OS/Wiper and go join SIU the next day. I have no idea if there’s much work for every level ratings right now though. MSC takes a long time to go through the hiring process.

MSC called me today the hiring process is 6-8 weeks before I even get into NEO. I don’t care for the money I just want to get my foot in the door faster. I have my mmc, stcw, passport , twic. I appreciate for the response hopefully it’s not difficult to find a first ship as a c book