Signal International Settles Labor Suit After Filing for Bankrupcty

just more dirty, filthy labor abuse in the South! what a FUCKING surprise!

[B]Signal International Settles Labor Suit After Filing for Bankrupcty[/B]

July 14, 2015

By Kathy Finn

NEW ORLEANS, July 14 (Reuters) – Signal International will pay $20 million to settle lawsuits alleging fraud and labor trafficking by the Alabama oil rig repair company, which brought hundreds of Indian men to work on the Gulf Coast after Hurricane Katrina, attorneys for the plaintiffs said on Tuesday.

The settlement, which included an apology by the company to about 200 guest workers involved in the suits, must win the approval by a bankruptcy court in Delaware, where Signal filed for Chapter 11 protection on Sunday.

“These workers have waited seven long years for justice,” Jim Knoepp, deputy legal director for the Southern Poverty Law Center, said in a prepared statement, noting that the Southern Poverty Law Center spearheaded the litigation.

“This agreement and apology from the company will allow the workers to finally move on with their lives,” he said.

The settlement enables the company to resolve 11 lawsuits still pending after the first five plaintiffs in the litigation won a federal verdict from Signal in February. The jury in that case awarded $14 million in damages to the Indian guest workers.

All the plaintiffs, including the initial five, will share in $20 million settlement in lieu of the earlier damage award, a spokeswoman for the plaintiffs said.

After the four-week trial in New Orleans in February, the jury found that Signal had recruited hundreds of Indian men under the U.S. guest worker program to repair oil rigs and facilities damaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

The workers paid $10,000 apiece to recruiters and were promised good jobs and permanent U.S. residency for their families. After arriving at Signal shipyards in Pascagoula, Mississippi, they discovered that they would not receive promised residency documents.

Signal also charged the men $1,050 a month to live in guarded labor camps in inhumane conditions, the jury found.

An economist who reviewed Signal’s records for the plaintiffs estimated the company saved more than $8 million by hiring the Indian workers.

“This agreement will ensure some compensation for these workers who only sought a better life when they took these jobs,” said attorney Alan Howard, SPLC board chairman.

Attorneys for Signal could not be reached for comment. (Editing By Frank McGurty and Diane Craft)

(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015.

LIES, LIES and more LIES!

Good lord…that’s downright embarrassing and shameful…

These are the closest two dispensaries I’ve found near your house. You know the area better than I do maybe there is one closer.

Cannerex
2714 Henson Rd. , Mt Vernon, WA, 98273

Loving Farms
2615 Old Hwy 99 S. Suite D , Mount Vernon, WA, 98273

This looks like a good site so you can keep your scrip filled while you travel.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;165641]These are the closest two dispensaries I’ve found near your house. You know the area better than I do maybe there is one closer.

Cannerex
2714 Henson Rd. , Mt Vernon, WA, 98

Loving Farms
2615 Old Hwy 99 S. Suite D , Mount Vernon, WA, 98273

This looks like a good site so you can keep your scrip filled while you travel.

https://www.allbud.com[/QUOTE]

And don’t forget So Cal Edison making their employees train their imported replacements before they’re laid off. No wait…Does SoCal count as the South??

Please stop we all know only Deep South companies use unfair labor practices. Anything else is a lie.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;165643]Please stop we all know only Deep South companies use unfair labor practices. Anything else is a lie.[/QUOTE]

more FILTHY labor practices in the South than ANYWHERE else in the US! How many “guest workers” has Chouest hired over the decades? Likely thousands and how much you wanna bet they got the same treatment as Signal gave their “guests”!

UGLY, MEAN, GREEDY BASTARDS…ALL OF EM!

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=injunear;165642]And don’t forget So Cal Edison making their employees train their imported replacements before they’re laid off. No wait…Does SoCal count as the South??[/QUOTE]

don’t make excuses for what Signal did…just DAMNED FUCKING glad they now have to pay for their ugly, mean practices and pay they will!

I’ve seen the chouest game in action, those Romanians and Bulgarians got a shit deal too from what I saw.

[QUOTE=c.captain;165645]don’t make excuses for what Signal did…just DAMNED FUCKING glad they now have to pay for their ugly, mean practices and pay they will![/QUOTE]

Who’s making excuses? This shit’s all over the U.S. Just pointing out after all of your stoopid blathering about the South, you can start by looking in your own back yard with the blueberry pickers.

Then there’s the Disneyland techs being replaced…no wait…They’re just south of I-10.

Are you out of medicine already? I know your crazy check from uncle sucker won’t deposit til the first but I can float you until then. I’ll send you a PayPal insta payment so you can swing by Cannerex later today. I’m almost certain if you post your PayPal info everyone will contribute to the greater good.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;165650]Are you out of medicine already? I know your crazy check from uncle sucker won’t deposit til the first but I can float you until then. I’ll send you a PayPal insta payment so you can swing by Cannerex later today. I’m almost certain if you post your PayPal info everyone will contribute to the greater good.[/QUOTE]

He would just need to provide his Gcaptain username and they’d handle the rest, pro-bono.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;165650]Are you out of medicine already? [/QUOTE]

Let’s see if I have this straight … the messenger is more offensive to you than the message, is that right?

It doesn’t seem to bother you that a swampscum local business engages in what amounts to human trafficking but the fact a member here has the audacity to publicly condemn, following a legal condemnation, that business and its actions has your panties all twisted up?

cCap just might be on to something linking geography to lack of ethics and in many cases, intellect …

Don’t care don’t care don’t fuckin care I ain’t got nuttin to do wit any of that sheeit be my guest and run every scumbag asshole from El Paso to Tampa in the ground for all I care doesn’t offend me in any way I like to keep the shit stirred with scooter and regardless of wether he’s right or not he’s still a PHLAMING PHUCKING ASSHOLE and I’m glad that he lives in utopia and only works for and does business with the most fair and scrupulous businesses known to man

my have I touched a nerve in one of your rotten teeth?

Poor dental hygiene has been well documented as a gateway or precursor to other more serious illness in health. It is of very little surprise that recent data compiled by Bloomberg’s Visual Data, 4 out of the 5 worst dental health offenders are in the deep south and the fifth offender is West Virginia. Dr. Mark Baumgartner of the Dental Clinic of Marshfield notes “research indicates periodontal disease can increase your risk of heart attack or stroke; increase the risk of delivering a preterm, low birth weight baby; and exacerbate diabetes and kidney disease.” The data shown below is for the overall states, and as with most health statistics it does not become hard to assume that African American statistics are worse than the overall state of affairs.

[QUOTE=Steamer;165666]cCap just might be on to something linking geography to lack of ethics and in many cases, intellect …[/QUOTE]

d’ya think?

You didn’t stop by Cannarex on the way home did you?

no, I give all my business to the Magic Rainbow Dispensary…they make me a very special blend of aromatic herbs I like to smoke in my pipe.

What ever happened to mariners smoking pipes anyway?

“Guest Workers”!?! They literally set up a labor camp of what amounts to foreign slaves. Not only should those Indian guys be fighting for their rights as humans, but us Americans should be standing up for ours. Every single man Signal brought over is stealing American work. I don’t have anything against these Indian workers of course but the companies that do this type of thing with such blatant impunity.

[QUOTE=c.captain;165677]

What ever happened to mariners smoking pipes anyway?[/QUOTE]

Hipsters. .