Should the old, obese & females be given easier pre-employment physicals?

It’s just my opinion but I think the USCG physical for first time entry level positions works very similar to pre-employment physicals at keeping the riffraff & unhealthy away. If you type, “blood pressure” in the gcaptain forum search box you’d get all kinds of queries from potential newbies concerned about the CG requirements. But if a mariner got their first Z-card 25+ years ago & doubled their BMI over that time they’re probably not concerned about renewals. But that old fat mariner would likely be hesitant to switch employers. Also by searching old threads you see a lot of people do fail the uscg physical. @tugsailor You gave some good advise & spoke some hard truths to a guy on a this thread Am I too fat and old .

You are correct. There is a big difference between starting a seagoing at age 41 and 350 lbs vs. continuing a long seagoing career at age 65 and 220 lbs.

I’ve had one guy that was 5’-5” and over 400. He was hired by HR and came with the boat, but he didn’t last long because he did a poor job.

I rarely see guys over 300, even then they tend to be 6’-4”

I’ve had a lot of guys that are 60 to 75 years old and 150 to 250lbs.

Had a 72 year old (150 lbs) last year that smoked like a chimney and drank like a fish when ashore. He consistently out worked the kids in their 20s and 30s. They didn’t even try to keep up with him. They knew it was pointless. Plus, he knew what he was doing.

The majority of tugboat guys of any age tend to be portly. Don’t most Americans? Tugboat crews have been getting more gray for a long time.

I’m far too old to start a seagoing career, but I’m not too old to continue one.

4 Likes

I think part of the issue for addressing capabilities of longer service life mariners is the administratively low bar set by the CG 719-K Section VIII Demonstration of Physical Ability. It leaves it up to the Medical Practitioner’s diligence in assessing their own “Satisfaction that the applicant” can perform “ordinary and emergency response shipboard functions.” It is a list of specific shipboard activities that the doctor has surely never performed or seen performed.

Granted they are asked to make an assessment based on “related physical ability.” But there’s no true standard and every physical I’ve had from a different doctor tests these items in a different way, as is their prerogative.

I’m not saying that the average doctor is negligent in signing off, and as you’ve pointed out there is anecdotal history of people failing. But I don’t think it’s hard to procure a completed form that will be approved. And I personally find it hard to believe that a family doctor who has seen the same mariner every two years over a career is likely to end that persons career by checking the NO box on their form.

When was the last time you looked at the form? The current form has more specific guidance for non-mariners. The one for firefighting could be better, but most use non-maritime language to describe what the mariner needs to be able to do.

1 Like

I quoted from that form when I typed that post…I last submitted the form myself in January. I always provide the guidance document and full form to my physician’s office ahead of time when I need to renew…whether they read it all I don’t know, and frankly neither does the CG.

My point is that there will always be a gap so long as there is no qualification other than being a doctor and using their judgment (aside from the specific BMI wording).

Don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely not in favor of the inconvenience if the CG were to require only doctors who were approved by the CG, like the requirement for those signing off assessments to be Qualified Assessors, but with no such qualification there will always be mariners out on the water who hold a valid medical cert and in reality should not.

I’m not suggesting any changes, just that it’s an imperfect system, if perhaps the best one thus far.

Fair enough. The old form just had the list of shipboard activities and was far from clear to a non-mariner.

1 Like

The MCA has a list of approved doctors. There is only one in the US (Fort Lauderdale - He did my last USCG and MCA physicals). Even in the UK, it can be difficult and inconvenient to get an appointment with an MCA approved doctor.

Believe me, the last thing we need is a list of USCG approved doctors.

3 Likes

Prior to the 2010 STCW amendments, some countries, including UK and Canada, used medical certificates, but they were issued by the examining doctor, hence the list of approved doctors. Then and now, in the US the certification of medical fitness is made by the Coast Guard based on the report of the doctor, hence allowing any licensed doctor or nurse practitioner to do the physical.

Crowley and Centerline Logistics both in Seattle use Concentra, they give you a grip strength test as well as a litany of other push, pull, climbing, lifting endurance and balancing tests all while monitoring your heart rate.
Also require Hep vaccines, benzene testing, drug testing and blood work.
You have to really want a job and be pretty healthy to go through all of that.

That’s how it should be, if you ask me.
Haven’t seen any of the Gulf companies make anyone take as an extensive physical, though HOS came close at the Pelican place in NOLA but that was years ago now.

2 Likes

I especially agree when it comes to companies that depend on shore and rig based medics for medical care, limiting medical supplies on their boats to just what comes in the LB first aid kits (bandaids and aspirin). Unfortunately, that’s a good majority of the bayou companies.

It would sure be nice to have the Coast Guard come up with a legit Ship’s Medicine Chest requirement to ensure mariners have a chance of survival if sh*t hit the fan on a transit away from medical support.

It would be interesting to compare pre-employment medical exams for US mariners with the requirements other countries have for their mariners.

2 Likes

Mariners in Canada do not submit to any company physicals or drug tests. They just show their Marine Medical Certificates. And that’s it. Period.

The Marine Medical Examiners (approved doctors) issue a Provisional Marine Medical Certificate (IIRC, it’s good for about 60 days). The medical report is reviewed in Ottawa and within about a month the Transport Canada issued Marine Medical Certificate arrives in the mail. It’s free (you just pay the doctor for the exam) even for Americans.

I would say that the Canadian physical is a bit more rigorous than the USCG physical, but a bit less rigorous than the MCA physical.

The MCA approved doctors issue the ENG 1 certificate on the spot. You must surrender your old certificate to the doctor. You do not send or receive anything with the MCA.

The Canadians and the Brits have the same issues with age, weight, smoking, drinking, etc., as the US.

The British OGUK physical for the oil patch seemed about the same to me (although the MCA says it’s not) and was done by the same doctor at the same time ( and he charged both fees).

Canadian “industrial personnel” are subject to company physicals and drug tests.

My Canadian industrial physical was done at a place called “Sure Hire.” Most thorough and intense physical I’ve ever had. A sadistic physical therapist twists every joint. Step test. Walking and running. Spirometer. Vision. Hearing. No x-rays or MRIs. No bloodwork. Picking up milk crates of various weights with proper form and technique, putting them on shelves. To be cleared without limitations, you are tested at the 100 lb level, pick up and carry 15 meters, turn around, set down, repeat, repeat, then carry back 45 meters and set it on a desk. I thought my arms were going to drop off. I would not be able to pass that test again.

4 Likes

It’s really quite sad to see the physical condition of the average American these days. Regardless of the reasons/excuses most people are overweight and in terrible condition. I get quite a chuckle out of coworkers of mine who want to reward themselves for walking 6k steps every once in a blue moon when their Fitbit goes off.

Most eat way more food than needed and can’t walk anywhere with our getting out of breath. People don’t need the portion sizes that restaurants serve and have convinced people that is needed or normal. Energy drinks, tons of sodas and every other imaginable thing that makes a size 40 waist the norm. I’m not ready for a CrossFit contest by any means but employers asking people to pass physicals to limit their liabilities (because the employee is too lazy to take care of themselves) shouldn’t be criticized.

It would amaze you how many people file claims/lawsuits for getting hurt doing the most basic tasks on a vessel once they get home.

3 Likes

Very true. Caloric requirements were fought against pretty fiercely in their time.

1 Like

CFR means Code of Federal Regulations. For some flying jobs there is a mandated retirement age and for some there isn’t.
The companies cannot be sued over it, it is literally the law and they have to follow along. If you work for a Part 121 (large airplanes) airline and hit 65 and want to keep working, you have to move to charters, flight instruction, or work for an airline with smaller airplanes that flies under Part 135.
I am not sure if she is still working, but there used to be an active flight instructor in her mid 90s.

Just got this about offshore wind physicals from Remote Medical International in Seattle.

As a global organization, RMI is very familiar with OEUK medicals and other international medical standards. As the burgeoning U.S. offshore wind industry continues to develop, we’ve seen a need to coordinate OEUK medicals in the U.S. as well.
If a U.S. project requires an OEUK physical, it can be challenging to get it done outside of oil and gas hubs, such as Houston. There are only a limited number of OEUK-registered doctors who can review the physical results and make an accurate determination of fitness.
As a solution, RMI has begun offering remote OEUK medicals. A remote OEUK medical is largely the same as a standard OEUK medical. The offshore worker goes to a clinic and gets the required exams and tests. However, instead of seeing the OEUK doctor in person at the clinic, the OEUK doctor performs their consultation remotely.
With this approach, RMI can now offer OEUK medicals at any of the thousands of clinics in our network, even those that are located far from an OEUK doctor.

This is just further confirmation that the US offshore wind industry is a European show being run to European standards.

1 Like

Define “old”

Define “obese”

Define “woman”

The last one is for you ‘woke’ seafarers out there.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

The point is that once someone has a valid USCG Medical Card the employers should not be allowed to require anything more.

Many employers do not do physicals. For many that do, the physical is the same as the USCG physical. What’s the point?

The extensive and intrusive physicals done by some big companies have nothing to do with being fit enough for duty and they should not be allowed. If they want to limit their liability exposure they can buy insurance like everyone else.

2 Likes

From Anchorage Daily News

Across the U.S., the last 41 million baby boomers will reach full retirement age by 2030, and there are not anywhere near enough workers in the pipeline to replace this growing hole in the labor force.

Get use to older mariners above retirement age onboard, its reality. There is no one else available.

1 Like

In general, I perfer working with an older crowd. More experience, most have a good temperaments & good sea stories. Always lots to be learned & shared. It’s the people who want special treatment because of their weight, age, them choosing to be out of shape or their gender that I won’t cut any slack for. And a BIG disclaimer here, I’ve never actually worked with a female who wanted a separate standard. Many females I work(ed) with try to over compensate & do better or just as good as the dudes. So I guess it’s the few habitual lazy “woe is me” older & obese mariners that frighten me.

3 Likes