Shipyard news

US-Flag MV MAJ RICHARD WINTERS had major work done at a Polish shipyard. Look at pages 5 and 6 of the newsletter.

It makes perfect sense to me to build ships of this size. For small countries consolidating cargo to send on a mega sized ship doesn’t make any sense at all. The cost of developing the infrastructure to cope with servicing these behemoths and delays in payments to smaller exporters makes no economic sense whatsoever.

Ship Orders Surge as Carriers Rush to Add Capacity:

As of the end of April 2021, Yangzijiang Shipbuilding has secured 75 new orders for ships with a total contract value of $4.01 billion this year.
https://xindemarinenews.com/en/shipbuilding/2021/0615/30166.html

Europe is holding back on it’s approval of Korean mega merger:

But life must go on despite adverse events:

Finally!!!:

PS> Picture is from Kepplel FELS Pioneer Yard. The building dock is full of hulls and the quays full of rigs under outfitting or upgrading. My guess is 2010 - 12, or there about.

Will build the world’s largest yacht at Vard Søviknes

Vard has entered into a contract for the construction of Somio, a yacht liner that will be 222 meters long and 27 meters wide.

From smp.no today. [Google translated]

More and smaller Container ships on order:

Is this going to be a floating condominium?

Yes, as the existing ship ‘The World’.
Built as a super-yacht, not as a cruise-ship, with fewer apartments (39 against 160).

Building cost about $600 million.
The apartments are sold from $11 million upwards, with yearly costs in the millions…

Wikipedia about The World
More about the Somnia

1 Like

Must be interesting for the crew with forty owners on board… :wink:

1 Like

Another Malaccamax VLCC built at DISC:

https://www.xindemarinenews.com/en/shipbuilding/2021/0625/30442.html

wow so much steel,so much coking coal, looks like its the only long term business to survive without subsidy.
Gives me a warm and cuddly feeling that its all helping to make the world green…lol
Just like the Kyoto and Paris accords didnt include aircraft…greenies fly to their meetings I guess?

2024 is in the near future. Just because something is true now and will probably be true in the near future doesn’t mean it will be like that forever-

2035 is a bit further, but even 2050 is not that far away. That is why it is smart to plan at least that far away.

Living in Singapore you should know that plans are made for the next 50 years. but with possibilities to change as/if the circumstances change.

Someone has got rich on coal apparently (surprised??):

SCOUT was designed by H2 Yacht Design and built in the Netherlands by Hakvoort in 2019 at a cost of $85 million. The 63.7m (209 ft) yacht can accommodate 10 guests and a crew of 14. The SCOUT is owned by Berwind-White Coal Mining, a leading coal producer in the United States. It’s sail in the Great Lakes this summer and is seen traveling up bound in the St Clair River. Photo : Bert Varady Michigan USA (c)

I think thats my mates boss…
Saying that these days you can be rich and own a company that doesnt make any money.
Wealth and profit are not longer connected thanks to printing money.