Ship's structure question

Hi There,
I couldn’t find any information for such question:
W/T bulkheads need to have openings, or other structural items pass through them, and yet remain watertight. How are the following effected on your vessel?
1). Longitudinal beams passing through.
2).Pipelines passing through.
3). Electrical fittings.
4). Crew Access.
I presume they all reduce the strength, but what else I can mention about them?
Thanks

No one here wants to do your homework for you. I assume you have a required text for this class? Might want to try opening.

Hi back whoever you are?

I presume they all reduce the strength

yes

but what else I can mention about them?

not much

Thanks

you’re welcome…y’all come back now!

[QUOTE=wunder;82588]Hi There,
I couldn’t find any information for such question:
W/T bulkheads need to have openings, or other structural items pass through them, and yet remain watertight. How are the following effected on your vessel?
1). Longitudinal beams passing through.
2).Pipelines passing through.
3). Electrical fittings.
4). Crew Access.
I presume they all reduce the strength, but what else I can mention about them?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Get yourself a copy of SOLAS and ABS or DNV Rules - all of it’s in there - selection of materials all the way through to bulkhead penetrations.

I couldn’t find any more info about them other than:
It is really tacky and presumptuous of you to look here for homework help.

[QUOTE=cappy208;82643]I couldn’t find any more info about them other than:
It is really tacky and presumptuous of you to look here for homework help.[/QUOTE]
Being tacky and presumptious on this site is a prerequisite!lol! I don’t mind helping my grandchildren with their homework but I ain’t doing all the work…

Hahaha, typical wise ass answers from the peanut gallery. You Geezers are a trip! I’m shocked…Cappy 208 doesn’t have an answer. He knows everything…

Hey I was in his place a few years ago, and I opened a book up and did my research. Hell I usually ended up learning an unrelated thing or two on my way to finding the answer I was looking for; imagine that! The problem with the majority of people my age and younger is that they grew up with the Internet and everything they needed to know was just a google away. While the quick dissemination of information has done wonders for our society it has also already begun to destroy the very necessary skill set of being a self teacher. Personally I blame the parent’s and even now schools that do not stress compressive reading skills enough. It seems like if the answer isn’t in bold letters, they won’t find it!

Never said I know anything. But for sure I know how to find the answers to questions that are given me concerning the operations of a vessel I work on. It is one thing to ask for help on here to find the answer. It is a complete other thing to simply ask what does all this mean and what is the answer. You may not realize it (and I certainly won’t throw insults at you about your woeful ignorance) but the OP has ALL the texts, and a school library at his disposal. What he doesn’t have is ambition. JMHO

P.S. I don’t have an answer because I DON’T need an answer. The OP does! Get it? If you really want an answer to a problem, ask. But don’t assume when you ask a whole question, need direction as to what is being asked, and where the answers are… that you will be shown respect for asking. If you did this aboard my vessel you would be chipping paint a LONG fucking time before I let you back in the wheelhouse to drive!

Come on Cappy. Why won’t you throw insults at my woeful ignorance? You’ve already called me a “used prophylactic”. Are you getting soft or something? You assume way too much Cap. You do know what happens when you assume…don’t you? Take a look at the current thread regarding medical exams and older mariners. You assumed something and possibly insulted the OP. Check out his reply to you. Your posts have a steanch if arrogance.

Correction: steanch of arrogance

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;82744]Correction: steanch of arrogance[/QUOTE]

Sorry. That’s still the wrong word. Auto correct don’t mean a thing, if you can’t tell the difference!

Regarding the other thread, The guy didn’t post a cogent complete question. He posted an incomplete question. The answers he sought were not what he wanted. Then after several queries (from others in addition to myself) he finally came up with the full reason for his post. Nothing wrong with his post, just why hide behind incomplete, misleading questions? The real question (although sometimes not understood) is better than sneaking around asking half assed questions.

Captain know it all. You’re totally “that guy”. You must be the man who “one ups” everyone in conversation. I wonder if you are like that in face to face conversations…

Just because the OP in the other thread didn’t write the question the way you thought it should be written, doesn’t make him wrong. That’s your opinion. You must have a master degrees English…considering how you correct 90% of the posters on this site.

I’m shaking my head…yawn…scratch.

I’ve been quietly reading this site for over 2 years. You have a STENCH of arrogance about you. Once again, thank you for pointing out my mistake. Hell, even cCaptain knows how to have a laugh and loosen the grip. Thanks for the motivation…motivation to not be a complete arrogant, snide, wise ass, know it all…when I make it up to the pilothouse.

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;82763]I’ve been quietly reading this site for over 2 years. You have a STENCH of arrogance about you. Once again, thank you for pointing out my mistake. Hell, even cCaptain knows how to have a laugh and loosen the grip. Thanks for the motivation…motivation to not be a complete arrogant, snide, wise ass, know it all…when I make it up to the pilothouse.[/QUOTE]

I suggest sir, that you tone down the vitriol of your attack on Cappy208. He is a top poster to this forum and has as high a reputation rating as myself. We don’t have to all love eachother but I believe my fellow deserves respect from someone like you.

SO BACK OFF!

Yeah, I’m that guy who you need to sign off your TOAR. Then you will be all nice and polite! Or not.

JMHO:

I don’t have to LIKE a guy to work with him.
I HAVE to TRUST him.

If a captain is observant, respects the weather, doesn’t abuse the equipment and has enough sense and experience to not order me to my death in an emergency, then I can sleep at night.
I’m not saying this is all it takes to command, but if a captain lacks these as a minimum, I’ll be sleepless watching over his shoulder.

I respect experience.

We’re all assholes in different ways, but that doesn’t mean you can get away with being an unprofessional asshole.
Not in my book.