Assesment Questions

Hi Guys, doing my portfolio assesments for my engineering cadetship, and there is one question I’m really struggling to find an answer for, at least a satifactory answer!

Describe the arrangement in a ballast tank vent which prevents water ingress?

Any help will be appreciated more than you will ever know!!

[QUOTE=bigdunc122;44441]Describe the arrangement in a ballast tank vent which prevents water ingress?[/QUOTE]

U r making this too difficult. Look on deck. If that does not work, check your drawings.

Is the answer as simple as the vent pipe being looped in a downward fashion??

Thats the impression im getting from my research, and the ballast drawing, these resits are costing me though! so just wanted to get some feedback off others before i go back in there, most reasearch i do online, comes back with answers for submarines!

thanks for the reply

[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;44442]U r making this too difficult. Look on deck. If that does not work, check your drawings.[/QUOTE]

wont get the chance before the resit, looking at the diagrams though I think the answer is as below, just wanted a definitive check, before i go back in the with the assessor!

thanks for the reply

I’m going to assume you’re doing this from home and are not actually on a ship where you could walk outside and take a look.

Anyway it’s a ball check arrangement. If you get water so deep that it comes up to the gooseneck vent the ball will go up and seal the opening. As soon as the water comes down so does the ball and re-opens the vent.