Shipboard Anti-Piracy Procedures

[QUOTE=Puget-islander;68220]I’d like to talk about what a crew can do when approached by a potential pirate boat. In the 80’s the piracy hot spot was the Straits of Malacca. One of the favorite methods of pirates then was to run a zodiac up to the stern of a ship that was riding low in the water. They would go to the bridge and demand the Master turn over any $$ on board and then they’d leave. The countermeasure at the time was to light up the stern and have at least two charged fire hoses aimed at the preferred point of entry.
Any thoughts ? I’d especially like to hear from those who regularly transit the Red Sea.[/QUOTE]

I am the master of a PCTC and transit on a regular basis. With our speed and high freeboard we are considered to be low-risk. One PCTC has been taken, the Asian Glory.

The stakes in the GOA/HOA (Gulf of Aden/Horn of Africa) are higher then they were in Malacca.

With regards to hoses and lights, rather then just leave them on we control them as required. The hoses are rigged with valves opened but pumps are left off. When approached by a boat the pump can be started, this lets the crew of the approaching boat know they’ve been spotted.

Prior to arrival in the HRW (High Risk Waters) all the accommodation windows/portholes are blacked out. This allows the more effective use of night vision equipment. Over the side or on deck flood lights can shut off or on as required by lookouts or the security team.

As to other procedures it depends, an important factor is if the ship has armed security teams or not.

K.C.

May I suggest you consult the web page of the NATO SHIPPING CENTER: http://www.shipping.nato.int/Pages/default.aspx

The NATO Shipping Centre (NSC) is the link between NATO naval forces and the merchant shipping community. Permanently manned by NATO, the NSC is the primary point of contact for the exchange of merchant shipping information between NATO’s military authorities and the international shipping community. The NSC is also the primary advisor to merchant shipping regarding potential risks and possible interference with maritime operations and major exercises.

Regarding self protection measures, you will find all you need here: http://www.shipping.nato.int/Pages/SelfProtection.aspx

Good reading and safe journey!

Best Management Practices to Deter Piracy in the Gulf of Aden and off the Coast of Somalia

BMP 4 can be downloaded here

If I remember correctly, Best Management Practices advises against using an Armed Security Force. I would disregard that part.