Ship Slams into Italian Port

Not sure if this has been on here yet or not. I guess another Italian Ship had a little problem.

http://news.yahoo.com/italy-cargo-ship-slams-genoa-port-kills-5-111934103.html

Lovely. At least it wasn’t another cruise ship issue…

Dreadful news, damn…

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;108533]Lovely. At least it wasn’t another cruise ship issue…[/QUOTE]

When I was at the Norwegian Marine Educationcenter to take my CMHB course, they used Costa Concordia as work for us to analyze…Our job, not as easy as what went wrong…the more difficult was…WHAT WENT RIGHT! We found out, that just TWO people did their jobs according to the situation…The Chief and an OS

Don’t you guys know to check gcaptain. This is all I do… http://gcaptain.com/jolly-nero-containership-slams-into-genoa-pilot-tower-in-italy/

[QUOTE=“Mikey;108546”]Don’t you guys know to check gcaptain. This is all I do… http://gcaptain.com/jolly-nero-containership-slams-into-genoa-pilot-tower-in-italy/[/QUOTE]

I only ever get on here on the phone app so I never see the news site…

[QUOTE=Mikey;108546]Don’t you guys know to check gcaptain. This is all I do… http://gcaptain.com/jolly-nero-containership-slams-into-genoa-pilot-tower-in-italy/[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I usually get e-mail updates from gcaptain but for some reason this one came after I had already posted this one.

CNN now says at least seven dead. And there are injuries.

Photos:

Look at the “before” photo. The tower looks to be in a rather vulnerable spot. Anyone else think?

What!? Another accident at the hands of some Italians!? Say it ain’t so!!! Ok, ok, I admit I have no idea what nationality the officers of the ship were, but let’s be honest, there’s no frickin’ way they were American, that’s for damn sure. I just have to laugh when I read some thing from foreign sources about about how reckless, expensive, and law-suit-crazed American mariners are. Look in the friggin’ mirror!

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;108636]What!? Another accident at the hands of some Italians!? Say it ain’t so!!! Ok, ok, I admit I have no idea what nationality the officers of the ship were, but let’s be honest, there’s no frickin’ way they were American, that’s for damn sure. I just have to laugh when I read some thing from foreign sources about about how reckless, expensive, and law-suit-crazed American mariners are. Look in the friggin’ mirror![/QUOTE]

I really have no clue what happened here. I was flying home from Castine (actually Bangor) and on a layover when I heard about it so when I got home I looked for pics. Look at the tower in the before pic. Sticking out like a sore thumb. I wonder when that was built? Maybe an accident waiting to happen? There’s got to be video somewhere. It just sucks for the people killed and hurt and their families. I have heard nothing about the incident particulars so I don’t know how the ship came to allide with the tower.

[QUOTE=catherder;108641]I really have no clue what happened here. I was flying home from Castine (actually Bangor) and on a layover when I heard about it so when I got home I looked for pics. Look at the tower in the before pic. Sticking out like a sore thumb. I wonder when that was built? Maybe an accident waiting to happen? There’s got to be video somewhere. It just sucks for the people killed and hurt and their families. I have heard nothing about the incident particulars so I don’t know how the ship came to allide with the tower.[/QUOTE]

What!? You were in Castine and didn’t tell me! I’ll be you dollars to doughnuts you went to graduation on Saturday! Were you the commencement speaker!? Actually, I don’t even know if the commencement speaker was a man or a woman so that is totally unfounded, but I would not be surprised if it was none other than Catherder herself!

Awww…how’d you find that cutie?

No, I was there yesterday for what I hope is the last business trip of my current job. Visited the State of Maine to check on the water treatment and chem inventory. They leave for their summer cruise next week and it was hectic hectic!! But man, Castine and the towns you pass thru on the way from Bangor are just the picture of beauty. I took some pics and will put them up later.

I want to bring Mr. Catherder up for a vacation some time.

I also stopped by the bookstore and picked up some t-shirts. It’s a pretty little campus in what I’d call a slice of heaven!

[QUOTE=catherder;108692]Awww…how’d you find that cutie?

No, I was there yesterday for what I hope is the last business trip of my current job. Visited the State of Maine to check on the water treatment and chem inventory. They leave for their summer cruise next week and it was hectic hectic!! But man, Castine and the towns you pass thru on the way from Bangor are just the picture of beauty. I took some pics and will put them up later.

I want to bring Mr. Catherder up for a vacation some time.

I also stopped by the bookstore and picked up some t-shirts. It’s a pretty little campus in what I’d call a slice of heaven![/QUOTE]

The old T.S. P.O.S. (we call her that with love and affection) left just a little over an hour ago (around noon today), they’re anchored off of Searsport for now. You are correct that the scenery is very beautiful up there, Castine especially with all its victorian (or earlier!) houses. Mr. and Mrs. Catherder would be most welcome to visit our humble little town any time they fancy, if you’re lucky you might even get the 10 cent tour!

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;108694]The old T.S. P.O.S. (we call her that with love and affection) left just a little over an hour ago (around noon today), they’re anchored off of Searsport for now. You are correct that the scenery is very beautiful up there, Castine especially with all its victorian (or earlier!) houses. Mr. and Mrs. Catherder would be most welcome to visit our humble little town any time they fancy, if you’re lucky you might even get the 10 cent tour![/QUOTE]

So you are up there? I didn’t know you lived there. And the ship left today? Oh, I misheard…no wonder they had a fire and boat drill yesterday. They are going to stop in Tampa this year.

It was gorgeous weather, 70’s and sunny it was just beautiful!

And you have a Universalist Unitarian church, how cool is that?

Maaaannnn…

[QUOTE=catherder;108696]So you are up there? I didn’t know you lived there. And the ship left today? Oh, I misheard…no wonder they had a fire and boat drill yesterday. They are going to stop in Tampa this year.

It was gorgeous weather, 70’s and sunny it was just beautiful!

And you have a Universalist Unitarian church, how cool is that?

Maaaannnn…[/QUOTE]

The old churches are nice and all buuuutttttt… I hope someone took you to have food and alcohol at either the Tap Room or Danny Murphy’s (formerly The Reef) after work! MarKel’s (formerly Bah’s Bake House) has good food too but they don’t serve booze!

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;108698]The old churches are nice and all buuuutttttt… I hope someone took you to have food and alcohol at either the Tap Room or Danny Murphy’s (formerly The Reef) after work! MarKel’s (formerly Bah’s Bake House) has good food too but they don’t serve booze![/QUOTE]

Paddy, I blew thru like a storm, got to the ship around nine and was done by noon and had to get back to Bangor to fly out. The company isn’t much for taking a lot of time to hang out. But when I come up for a vacation I will surely give you a shout.

I found an image hosting site for my pics so here’s a few.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;108636]What!? Another accident at the hands of some Italians!? Say it ain’t so!!! Ok, ok, I admit I have no idea what nationality the officers of the ship were, but let’s be honest, there’s no frickin’ way they were American, that’s for damn sure. I just have to laugh when I read some thing from foreign sources about about how reckless, expensive, and law-suit-crazed American mariners are. Look in the friggin’ mirror![/QUOTE]

¡¡¡ What a disgusting comments !!! Schietino was a shame of a merchant marine oficcer no matter his nationality but your comment is absolutelly out of place.

I agree with wich suggested that the location of the tower and building was not the right place.

I would like I want to express my deepest condolences to the families of the victims and my best best wishes to the crew of Jolly Nero

Mistral

Grainy footage of Jolly Nero hitting tower.

[QUOTE=jamtwo;109605]http://youtu.be/Z0_hS_N02lM

Grainy footage of Jolly Nero hitting tower.[/QUOTE]

I saw that, with horror realizing there were people in that tower. Can you imagine the terror being in that tower as it fell?

I hope for everyone’s sake they replace it with one in a safer location.

Just unimaginable, doesn’t look like tugs lost control. So sorry for everyone involved.