Ship Nomenclature

Anchor aweigh means that the anchor is off the bottom and only being supported by the windlass.
This changes the vessel from being at anchor to being a vessel not at anchor.
Now you have to figure out exactly what you are.
Which means you have to change your nav lights quite smartish.

1 Like

When I first came to work on this continent.
I heard of them by different name and didn’t know what everyone was talking about.

I still hear it.

It was a Gene Kelly movie I think :grinning:

Double Enders? :grinning:

Cameron?

I first heard in called that when I started sailing on tugs.

Does this still hold true…Forward and up on the starboard, down and aft on the port ?

1 Like

What if its a double ended ferry? Or a canoe? Or any other symmetrically shaped hull?

I remember reciting that at school, and then never hearing mention of it ever again after graduating.

1 Like

For what was being described I think that fits.

Ha! Some of them maybe. Come to think of it, I found Monkey Island more prevalent a term in the GOM than deepsea where it was most often just called the mast on the flying bridge.

1 Like

The vessel on your left is about to hit you…

When looking athwart, forward or backwards?

The airplane folks paint L and R on their shoes; but for sailors I think we need smart shoes that know which way you’re facing. But make sure to put them on the right foot.

I get round that one by wearing captains socks…

One red
One green. . . . . All I have to do is remember which one goes on which foot :fearful:

1 Like

With a canoe it’s the placement of the seats, the fwd seat is shifted aft so the bow paddler has leg room.

1 Like

That won’t work with mine, the stern position is moved forward. I go by what end has the writing on it.
DSCN 2374

1 Like

Is that a canoe or a coracle?

I always wondered whether the coracle people had invented the skeg. And if not how did they keep that thing from spinning like a top?

1 Like

Rolling chocks? :rofl:

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

Same way you keep a highly rockered whitewater boat from spinning - skill and good technique. That kid seems to be showing a little of it, the paddle is near vertical and the stroke is ending at his hip, both help minimize turning.

2 Likes