Ship Nomenclature

And FYI I am flabbergasted that apparently some call a bilge keel a rolling chock?

Answer ‘B’. Shell Bitt

That one’s been around long enough for de Kerchove’s 1949 International Maritime Dictionary to call it out as incorrect in his rolling chock entry (he says rolling chocks support engines and boilers, and stabilize upper yards).

I’d be inclined to call it a recessed bitt, and I see that some suppliers agree with me. Some of them call it a recessed shell bitt (possibly because the casting forms an integral shell around the bitt, like Mary on the half shell**?).

**In case that’s too regional…

2 Likes

Recessed bitt.

True…Recessed Bitt, Recessed Shell Bitt, or just Shell Bitt. With the last being the only choice listed. The question looked too much like a test question, thus “B” being the most correct.

I sailed on LASH ships and ones that were converted LASH ships and they were on the hull. On the last one I was on I had a preventer bar welded between the bit on casting to prevent an eye being easily put on the bit. The castings had very little structural reenforcement behind it. We didn’t want a tug to put a line on them and put a strain.

Another example of bayou bastardized nautical terms. I can’t tell you how many times shipyard guys roll their eyes at me when I say something along the lines of “you mean the bilge keel…”

Don’t get me started though about what a true Panama chock is and what it is not though… sore subject here. :confounded: Suffice to say… this is a “mooring pipe” (or a bazillion other names I’ve heard them called) and is not a Panama chock:

Deck-mounted-chock-NS2589

Isn’t it a closed chock meeting the strength specifications for the Panama Canal?

1 Like

If it meets the strength requirements… yes… but the ones on most OSV’s in the middle of the bulwark for fairleading lines though? Yeah, good luck with one of them meeting the strength requirements (minimum 45 ton SWL).

Unless you’ve got some insane scantlings on that bulwark, you’re going to need it welded to the deck with a doubler plate and some pretty hefty reinforcements.

As you say, much heavier specification than what you illustrated. Thanks.

The purpose here is to be understood. There is the correct technical term for items and than there are colloquialism / slang / local terms.

Correcting a crew member that says “gangway” instead of accommodation ladder is unnecessary and likely to be seen as overly pedantic. On the hand if the purpose of the communication is to order parts than better to get the correct term from the ship’s drawings.

In the case of a door being called a hatch that is wrong and potential confusing, should be corrected.

1 Like

Ok, here’s a term I’m trying to think of but can’t remember:

Description:
You have a ship with a midship house. At the level of the weather deck there are passageways running along each side of the midship house, so you can walk from one end of the ship to the other without entering the house. The outboard side of these passageways is typically a low bulwark. The overhead is the underside of the the next deck up (01).

What is the specific term for these outer passageways? I’ve completely forgotten.

The Burma road

2 Likes

Promenade deck?

Don’t know. That seems like the kind of thing the ship’s crew would have a name for.

On the Hamilton Class Coast Guard cutters the approx equivalent was called the Air Castle

If a person was on the forecastle going through the door just above the “O” in COAST they could walk under the 01 deck / flight deck to the fantail.

From Wikipedia:

• MK2 Brandon Scott scrubs a bulkhead outside of the air castle during the all-hands wash-down of the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Bertholf, July 21

It is on cruise ships but I’ve never heard it applied to a working ship.

The name I seem to remember from the dim reaches of the past is “breezeway”. Which, I know, sounds like something in a 1950’s Florida-style home. Maybe something off the lanai (whatever a lanai is). But in regards to the facet of nautical architecture I’m describing, the name makes perfect sense.

2 Likes

I soon reached the second deck and seconds
later had reached the main deck. This part of the main
deck was located under the superstructure and was
known as the “air castle.” The ship’s service store and
soda fountain were located directly across the passageway from the top of the ladder

2 Likes

Breezeway seems to ring a bell.

1 Like

I’ve been confused by hearing “anchor away” when being told “anchor aweigh.” And “shots on deck” has messed me up, too (the phrase makes no sense to me with an anchor wire on a drum.)

1 Like