Self defence weapons on board

Further to recent disussions, and lastest news where Somali Pirats threaten to take lives of captured seafarers if Spain does not release those pirates in custody, which means that they are bringing the game on next level. The lives of crewmembers are getting more and more threatened. Importance of selfdefense should be more revaluated.

What self defence weapons shoud merchant ship carry? Quanatity of weapons and amo?

Is unleathel devices suh as Elrad effective? (sound weapon)

Hi, I’m just about to start a cadetship in the UK and someone was asking me what I thought about piracy.

In my opinion, there is a very simple solution, its called a flame thrower, such as they used to clear bunkers in WW2. I would defy any pirate to climb over the railing or even carry on up the rope when he sees a 20ft long burst of flame fly over his head.

A flame thrower has several advantages over any other “deterrant”.

1. It is a very visible deterrant. Give it a quick blast to put them off!!!
  2. It does not require ammunition, except for fuel (petrol) and a propellant (nitrogen)
  3. You can lower the range by lowering the pressure, less risk to the ship and operator etc.
  4. Fire proof clothing is readily available and can be worn by the operator
  5. Most ships don’t carry particularly flammable materials on their deck, and any damage to the railings is likely to be minimal
  6. They’re fairly simple devices, tried and tested, and need little maintenance unlike guns.
  7. Ownership is unrestricted in most countries (though UK is an exception)
  8. Even on a tanker I would say its more likely that capture by pirates would lead to a fire than careful use of a flamethrower (a family member was a chief eng for shell when a couple of their tankers got hit during the first gulf war, but suffered only minor damage)
  9. If said pirate does still attempt to climb over the railing and is subjected to a good torching he has the means to readily extinguish himself by letting go off the rope, so its hardly leathal :wink:

Thoughts and opinions please.

1 Like

[quote=Vstar;21788]Hi, I’m just about to start a cadetship in the UK and someone was asking me what I thought about piracy.

In my opinion, there is a very simple solution, its called a flame thrower, such as they used to clear bunkers in WW2. [/quote]

This is an excellent idea, and I propose that every ATB and oil tanker be required to carry two of them.

This deterrent should be confined only (1) to Super Tankers; (2) Docked in port of Somalia…

The more sophisticated pirate attacks consist of simultaneous attacks by several boats. This enables one or more boats to stand off firing while other boats close and board. A requirement of any defense is that no crew be exposed on deck.

My opinion is if you want to stop pirates then sail on vessels that are flagged someplace that actually has a navy to defend those vessels. If your on a Panamian flagged vessel and the Somalies attack then you had better hope that Panama has bought some New cruisers to come save you.

Its time for us to start expaining to the world why Flags of convience are the worst idea since letters of Marquies (sp?)

K9

1 Like

[quote=Kay9;22012]My opinion is if you want to stop pirates then sail on vessels that are flagged someplace that actually has a navy to defend those vessels. If your on a Panamian flagged vessel and the Somalies attack then you had better hope that Panama has bought some New cruisers to come save you.

Its time for us to start expaining to the world why Flags of convience are the worst idea since letters of Marquies (sp?)

K9[/quote]

That’s assuming Letters of Marque were a bad idea. :slight_smile:

LRAD would be nice. A few good quality carbines, shotguns, and pistols would work wonders in the right hands. I would be more than willing to supply my own weapons if allowed. :cool:

I think having some kind of flame thrower on small sailboat would work well. It need to be assembled with few parts, like a 12 volts gas pump fitted with a hose with a nosle with a trigger and an ignator. It would be something that would not be an issue going thru custom as it would not be like having a weapon.

10 years, that awesome, maybe a record.

3 Likes

And flame throwers are mentioned, so bonus points.

3 Likes

And actually the subject is hot again since gun shops are experiencing record sales so folks can be poised for an attack from diseased zombies.

2 Likes