Seasonal vs offshore

I’m currently working as an AB on an offshore supply vessel in the GOM. Jobs for the small company I work for are scarce. Most of our boats are tied up and quite a few people have been laid off. There are a lot of boats sitting idle in Fourchon LA. I have an opportunity to take a seasonal job as a captain that would keep me employed until November. Hopefully the oil industry will have recovered by then. What would you do if you were in my place?

I prefer seasonal and temp work. It pays better than the small oil patch companies and its a lot more fun to do.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;153937]I prefer seasonal and temp work. It pays better than the small oil patch companies and its a lot more fun to do.[/QUOTE]

I like it too, but it sure is scary when the work dries up.

[QUOTE=westmaui;153930]I’m currently working as an AB on an offshore supply vessel in the GOM. Jobs for the small company I work for are scarce. Most of our boats are tied up and quite a few people have been laid off. There are a lot of boats sitting idle in Fourchon LA. I have an opportunity to take a seasonal job as a captain that would keep me employed until November. Hopefully the oil industry will have recovered by then. What would you do if you were in my place?[/QUOTE]

Don’t blame you for being concerned…for someone like me who is the sole provider of a family, I have to think real hard about bouncing around because of dealing with new insurance and a probationary period and stuff like that. If you don’t have to worry about things like that then maybe the seasonal work would be a good thing for you.

The question is, when things pick back up, would you rather already be settled in the GOM and have a spot when it happens or have to hit the pavement again starting over?

Go do it, the gulf will rebound soon an you can come tight back, maybe even with your same employer.

Are you on good terms with your employer? Perhaps they would be willing to work with you if you left for seasonal work, and hold a spot open for when things turn around.

If for no other reason that it would be one less employee on their unemployment insurance account should they start laying off.