Sea time on own commercial fishing boat


What if I helped change the oil?


Engineering time


the question I am asking in this thread generally is how can that time be counted.


for what its worth, deck time can be used towards engine endorsements/licenses. refer to the various checklists for the amount of credit one may get.


So are you going to give us any details about the systems on the boat tour talking about? All you’ve said so far is 23 GRT…


46 CFR 11.524

(3) For designated duty engineer of steam, motor, and/or gas turbine-propelled vessels of less than 1,000 HP/750 kW, the applicant must have 1 year of service in the engineroom. Six months of this service must have been as a qualified member of the engine department or equivalent position.

As @jdcavo noted earlier, you’ll have to prove that your service was equivalent to that of QMED to get DDE.


Another quality license consultant is Andy Hammond, he used to run the Boston REC.


If you have QMED any rating, what seatime did you use to get that? Why wouldn’t that seatime be enough to get DDE?

You can count your own fishing boat seatime toward either a deck or engine license, your option. It’s very important how the seatime letter is written. You need to justify your seatime within the USCG regulations. Your license consultant can help with that.

You seem to have very peculiar seatime that can be best presented to the USCG by the right license consultant.

Another thing to consider. The USCG NMC is staffed by relatively new,incompetent,evaluators, and they are understaffed and poorly led. A simple application can take three months. An application with unusual seatime can take a year to process. This makes the role of the license consultant even more important.

The license consultant needs to present the seatime in a way that makes it look ordinary and satisfactory. The consultant must educate and convince the inexperienced and incompetent evaluator.

Don’t try to do this yourself.


right, so time as a sole unlicensed engineer could be used as well, but the wording in your sea letter needs to reflect that.

it is only 180 8 hr days to get a qmed. did you have just the amount required, or more? if you had just the amount required, you need another 180 8 hr days for dde 1000. also, deck time can be used too…180 days or 1-quarter of overall time whichever is less.


But will they give you an engineering license for time on a vessel that had no but a 250 HP diesel? That’s not really much engineering involved in that “plant”, I could and have rebuilt that solo and I’m not an engineer.


Capt Phoenix
I have QMED any rating and from my school program, school training vessel, and internship, I have total of 180 days. Time on my boat and two seasons in 83, 84, would be additional.

My boat was a typical west coast troller,45 ft, 23gt 120 hp main, small gen, operated costal by myself, documented vessel, coastwise fishery endorsed.

I am trying count my past sea time to my best advantage, obviously I will need a constant.

Next week I’m talking a tankerman course, was thinking to put in for this time when I applied for that endorsement, but seeing the situation may take a lot of time back and forth between a consultant and examiner maybe I should do it after and with a application for dde?


What part of “get thyself to a license consultant” can’t you understand?

Shopping the question is not going to change the fact that the time and money saved by getting advice from an expert who can actually look at (what little) paper you have to support any application will probably pay for the process.


There was no license consultant, and mariner appeals are not published.


Copy that, seeking consultant.


Try Holly Chetta NOLA,30 something years with USCG NOLA REC