I have "deck" seatime left over, what should I do with it?

Used enough to meet the requirements for AB-Limited and got it. According to my figuring I still have about 240 left. Should I save it for my Unlimited? or would the time better used towards Mate? or something else?? I think I can use 90 towards engenering?

Your time accrues as you earn it. You dont lose it when you get an upgrade or endorsement.

Sea service days are not like Chuck E Cheese tickets, you don’t save them up and turn in for a prize. Well, kind of they are, but they don’t disappear after you use them. For example your 540 days to get AB limited, most if not all of that can be applied towards your 1080 days for mate provided you meet all the requirements. Now deck sea service letters vs engine letters is where you ‘choose’ how to use your sea service and which department you wish to be a part of.

WOW!!! That means I still have +720!.

Man I glad I asked about this. ok, now I have +720! Fan, fingtastic!

Now what to do with em’? This service was on a +600 foot ,37,000 long tons ship, fuel carrier. ?Unlimited??

Scan them into your computer, make copies of them, and figure out what you want to do in your career. Once you accrue 1080 days worth of sea time (over 200 tons) with 180 days as AB you can go for your mates ticket. If and when you choose to do that apply for your AB unlimited as well to save yourself some application fees with the coast guard. Sounds like you will be working on a tug which is also valuable if pursuing a towing license. If you want engineering than try to get time that counts towards your DDE. There are also ratings you would have to get I assume you have RPFNW.

[QUOTE=troy;76210]Scan them into your computer, make copies of them, and figure out what you want to do in your career. Once you accrue 1080 days worth of sea time (over 200 tons) with 180 days as AB you can go for your mates ticket. If and when you choose to do that apply for your AB unlimited as well to save yourself some application fees with the coast guard. Sounds like you will be working on a tug which is also valuable if pursuing a towing license. If you want engineering than try to get time that counts towards your DDE. There are also ratings you would have to get I assume you have RPFNW.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have the RPFNW, Also Lifeboatman. Looking at (AB),Mate,Tankerman or Qmed. Just have to sit down and get an Idea of which way to go. It also looks like all the tugs are over 200 tn hopefully I won’t be on a 198 tn tug,lol.

I’m also going to pick up the book ’ The new hawspipe"I saved it in my amazon cart.

So in the next year 21/21 work = 176 days(12hr) I can look to upgrade to AB unlimited @ 12 hour days = 180 maybe mate as well.

Found my paperwork I have 762.5 days so I just need 159 days.

I have that book. “the new hawse pipe” and you will get the same info in the cfr if you read it. That book is not a Majic pill. DO THE WORK!!!

And I’m not even a mariner yet… I’m goin to the PMI workboat academy this fall and know not to ask a dumbass question like dat!!! You should know these things. Are you trying to draw the pointy stick???

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;76220]Yes, I have the RPFNW, Also Lifeboatman. Looking at (AB),Mate,Tankerman or Qmed. Just have to sit down and get an Idea of which way to go. It also looks like all the tugs are over 200 tn hopefully I won’t be on a 198 tn tug,lol.

I’m also going to pick up the book ’ The new hawspipe"I saved it in my amazon cart.

So in the next year 21/21 work = 176 days(12hr) I can look to upgrade to AB unlimited @ 12 hour days = 180 maybe mate as well.

Found my paperwork I have 762.5 days so I just need 159 days.[/QUOTE]

REPLY I have the New Hawespipe, and frankly, its nothing special. Someone posted in another thread mentioning a licensing agent that was very helpful to him. He’s in Michigan. A guy like this will be worth far far more to you than the couple hundred dollars that you pay him. Here you go:

About Sea K’s Licensing:

Charles “Chuck” Kakuska is a 25 year veteran of the United States Coast Guard. His last Duty Assignment was as Chief of the Regional Examination Center in Toledo, Ohio. A recognized expert in the field, and President of Sea K’s Maritime Licensing Service, Chuck has over 22 years of Maritime Licensing Experience.

Contact Us
(734) 847-1723
Fax (734) 847-6580
Email: SEAKsLic@aol.com

9069 Castlebury
Temperance, Michigan 48182

Any advantage to getting “Radio Officer” or GMDSS oper. ? or FCC radio operator lic. ? or are these “iceing”

If you are working for a comp[pany that will send you to Mate school let them pay for those scools too. Those endorsements are pretty meaningless for AB though.

Thanks for the info, as usual I learned alot. I did do searches prior to posting.

Don’t get ahead of yourself worrying about radio licenses. Just sail for a while on the tug, your officers should be able to point you in the right direction and answer most of these questions. As far as your sea service letter, try to get the company to write it in ITC tonnage if possible. A 199 gross ton tug can be over 500 ITC which might help in certain situations.

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;76234]Thanks for the info, as usual I learned alot. I did do searches prior to posting.[/QUOTE]

REPLY Probably the best book that you should be studying asap is “Primer of Towing” (Amazon). Your company undoubtedly has a training program and when you have been there long enough to qualify they will send you to the proper courses in the correct order for advancement within the company. To start with they will have you working on your PhD. in Sweeping, Mopping, Chipping, and Painting.

You want a Ph.D in line throwing. Dock lines and heaving lines.
A decent deckhand should be 100% accurate, never throw unless you are going to make it, 100% of the time!!
By the time you pull it back in and get it ready for a second try, it could be too late. Plus, the line will be wet and heavier.
Practice, practice, practice!! 100% accuracy, nothing less.

You’ll get a Masters degree in cooking, cleaning, chipping and painting.

[QUOTE=seadog!;76265]
A decent deckhand should be 100% accurate, never throw unless you are going to make it, 100% of the time!!
By the time you pull it back in and get it ready for a second try, it could be too late. Plus, the line will be wet and heavier.
Practice, practice, practice!! 100% accuracy, nothing less…[/QUOTE]

Ha! Until the captain judges the wind or current wrong and the deck hand has to make a long throw. That is why a good deckhand can make a captain look good. 100% is unreasonable btw.

You know how the get into Carnegie Hall? Practice, Practice , Practice!!! We actually have line throwing contest on board every week or so. I love filling my pockets with the deckhands hard earned cash.

I already have a batchlors in chipping and painting, me and the needlegun are old friends. Also know sweeping and mopping, I even know how to strip and wax using a sponge. I got that stuff covered. But deck operations on a tug will be all new.

I’m pretty sure all the tugs are UNDER 200 ton, west coast tugs especially, there may be 1 or 2 ex military tugs that are over 200 tons on the left coast…

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;76220]Yes, I have the RPFNW, Also Lifeboatman. Looking at (AB),Mate,Tankerman or Qmed. Just have to sit down and get an Idea of which way to go. It also looks like all the tugs are over 200 tn hopefully I won’t be on a 198 tn tug,lol.

Found my paperwork I have 762.5 days so I just need 159 days.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=SLUGWRENCH;76285]I’m pretty sure all the tugs are UNDER 200 ton, west coast tugs especially, there may be 1 or 2 ex military tugs that are over 200 tons on the left coast…[/QUOTE]

Crap! Now what?