Sea-time letter versus C o D

Just a quick question that someone here can surely answer. Perhaps Mr Cavo?

Certain vessels and routes require that a Certificate of Discharge is issued. Most of the vessels and routes that I work on do not. However in light of the information on the CoD can these be used by the captain instead of the sea-time letter or should they be used only where required?

I might add that when writing sea-time letters I usually include substantially more detailed route information than the CoD. This format has helped me to record my routes for “Acting as Pilot” in the past and I make sure that I do as much for my crew when I am Captain.

I’ve received C of D’s in both instaces you describe. They have always been accepted by the USCG. I’ve also received a Seatime Letter when a C of D was required but not given, and that also was accepted by the USCG.

Either way, if you’re working 12 hr days, make sure you have a letter stating that for 1 1/2 credit.

Thanks gentlemen.
I have worked on voyages where strictly speaking I should have signed articles and been issued a C o D and it has never happened. I suspect some smaller companies don’t realize and as you mentioned, the letters have always been accepted.