Sea Shepard?

I am currently a cadet at one of the U.S. Maritime Academies and, despite the perceived utter lack of seamanship, was wondering what the industry’s perspective (acceptance) of mates that have worked with Sea Shepard might be.

I’ve heard rumors that working for them would result in disqualification from future opportunities.

Any one care to… opine?

You wouldn’t be required to tell anyone that you had sailed with that outfit.

You would probably do better to keep that morsel of information about your experience private.

Do a quick search on whale wars on this forum and you will quickly find out our views on that outfit.

Provided it was volunteer work and you were never a “paid employee”, which would be my impression.

If paid it would be tantamount to lying on an employment application and grounds for dismissal, which would be even more difficult to explain on subsequent applications.

They are flagged as Dutch yachts

What about Green Peace?

[QUOTE=SirSandwich;55564]I am currently a cadet at one of the U.S. Maritime Academies and, despite the perceived utter lack of seamanship, was wondering what the industry’s perspective (acceptance) of mates that have worked with Sea Shepard might be.

I’ve heard rumors that working for them would result in disqualification from future opportunities.

Any one care to… opine?[/QUOTE]

I believe “despite the perceived utter lack of seamanship” is wording that leads to defense of whatever reasons one would serve on such a vessel.

The “acceptance” part, is pretty self explanitory here, I suppose you researched the posts regarding, before you asked about Greenpeace? Not.

What is your goal ? Are you trying to graduate and eventually become master of that kind of ship? A “professional” with a “cause”?

I’m not sure if your question is as simple as would it “harm future employment opportunities” or not, but I believe volunteering with any extremist group is not a plus.

And as far as a regulatory body like the USCG, you list vessel, time served, where, at what capacity etc. for credit for obtaining your MMD’s. I may have got time on a vessel, in an industry, that may not been approved by some, but for me, it was qualifying time.

As far as resume to a company? Yeah, if you are trying to impress people in front of their T.V.'s.

Maybe it’s one of those things like you smoked pot or experimental drugs as a teenager. You may not be proud, but it’s part of one’s history, I wouldn’t brag, but don’t lie if asked.

The big point is that no matter what the cause or purpose of the vessel was. Professionals in the industry put safety of crew first, and that’s what pissed off most about it.

note: I havent read a lot of the posts about the Sea shepherd, There were a lot more interesting and usefull posts here to soak in, that I had time for.

I would think the mate was an idiot and publicity whore, likely to be reckless and sure to be immature. I wouldn’t chose to ship with someone like that.

If you want to volunteer and get creditable time, don’t want to hide what you did and really want to impress some one. Try Mercy Ships

I believe workin onboard a vessel that rams other vessels, has complete and utter disregard for the COLREGS, and boards other vessels at sea ( tantamount to piracy) is not the most prudent decision for someone hoping to maintain and keep thier license.
I was also informed ( but not verified ) that greenpeace is currently listed as a terrorist orginization (abeit enviromental) and affiliation could possibly hamper security clearances for work.
Not passing judgement on any of these causes. Merely responding to the thread.

I am curious what a cadet at one of our fine Maritime Academies is doing asking questions, and wondering how any job inquiry or question would benefit or help a career? If sinking, ramming, fouling or killing fellow mariners is appealing, maybe I missed the ‘Pirate’ portion of my Merchant Mariner’s application.

Oh…

I get it. The question about how many felonies I have had must have been the part I lied on…

[QUOTE=crabboyjimmy;55618]
I was also informed ( but not verified ) that greenpeace is currently listed as a terrorist orginization (abeit enviromental)[/QUOTE]

Greenpeace is not listed by the U.S. government as a terrorist organization, and neither is Sea Shepherd. They are both legal environmental 501©3 tax-exempt organizations.

And I have to add that Sea Shepherd is decidedly NOT Greenpeace. Believe it or not, the officers I’ve met from Greenpeace vessels seem to actually be competent. During the run-in I had in 2008 down in Hobart with the Sea Shepherd ‘Captain’, I quickly found out that he was the exact opposite of competent. And there is, of course, an abundance of video proving that he is a disaster. Forget your career man, save your LIFE and never go to sea with Sea Shepherd.

[QUOTE=Capt. Fran;56023]Believe it or not, the officers I’ve met from Greenpeace vessels seem to actually be competent. [/QUOTE]

About ten yrears ago a few guys in the BRM class I was taking were from Greenpeace and I had the same impression of them.