Schools for A/B to mate 500

Does anyone know of any schools to take classes to be able to go to 500 ton mate from a/b. I would like to do it all in one shot at one place. I’m not good at scheduling the classes for time off. Immersion in the subject is my best bet. Thanks

Try the school called “Google”.

Google is a good choice. It would help also if you posted what area the school needs to be in.

I’ve been wrong before also, but I don’t think you will go to any school to get your 500t Mate. You may find a prep school to help you with things on the test but I think you have to go to the REC to take the test on anything above 200t Master.

Doing it in one shot in one place is not a very viable option.
As it stands currently there are just a couple of classes required, and every one of them is offered on a regular and frequent basis at Galliano Training Center.
If you look at the USCG checklist for the license you want, you will see you need, among other things, these classes:
Advanced Firefighting, Medical Care Provider, Radar Observer Unlimited, Bridge Resource Management. Optionally, but good to have, will be ARPA, and GMDSS.

Have you spent much time in your wheelhouse doing lookout duties? Have you expressed your interest and desire for a mates license to the wheelhouse guys on your boat?

I can tell you that when I have a good AB doing watch with me, who displays potential, I encourage them. I let them, under supervision, evaluate targets and make the course and speed changes necessary to keep our passage safe. I have shown them the assessments they need to complete for OICNW, just so they see what skills and knowledge they should expect to possess in order to do the job.

Take a radar observer class, and see if there is a wheelhouse guy on your boat that will help mentor you. You are going to have to put in some work for this, " immerse" yourself in the subject every day you are on the boat.

Well said man

Don’t forget Flashing Lights…

A frequent basis? They have the classes most needed once a quarter! Advanced fire is always full and rarely offered.

I work for the company and have taken most of my classes on my own dime.

Doesn’t make it a bad company or anything but the availability of classes could be improved. Just my opinion. Then again they are free so who can complain if you can get in them?

I cast a quick glance over the calendar and it looked like classes were given on a regular basis. I didn’t study it because I already had almost all of the classes before I came to work for the company. On my own dime.
The point is this: the original poster is, if his screen name is any indication, a cook. Who wants to be a mate. It’s quite a journey from the frying pan to the combinator levers, and if a guy thinks he is going to achieve this worthy goal, it’s not going to be via a one-stop shop at a license mill. And though he may have the seatime logged as an AB, does he have the time and experience in the wheelhouse learning the skills he will need once he passes the exams and has the license in hand?

Give Mid Atlantic Maritime Academy a try. They have everything from flashing light, GMDSS, ARPA, ECDIS, prep classes, terrestrial and celestial navigation, everything you need. It’s on Norfolk, VA and the guys there know how it is to travel to come to school. They’re all awesome guys and great for whatever class you need. Call (757) 464-6008 on Monday and ask them when classes are. Also check online, it should be on there too.

Ill 2nd Mid Atlantic. They are a good school. There is lots of lodging near by as well.

[QUOTE=“Flyer69;125384”]
I cast a quick glance over the calendar and it looked like classes were given on a regular basis. I didn’t study it because I already had almost all of the classes before I came to work for the company. On my own dime.
The point is this: the original poster is, if his screen name is any indication, a cook. Who wants to be a mate. It’s quite a journey from the frying pan to the combinator levers, and if a guy thinks he is going to achieve this worthy goal, it’s not going to be via a one-stop shop at a license mill. And though he may have the seatime logged as an AB, does he have the time and experience in the wheelhouse learning the skills he will need once he passes the exams and has the license in hand?[/QUOTE]

True, I applaud a cook that makes that jump. Tons of learning to catch up on. Good luck. I’m taking adv fire at Fletcher Monday, it’s my last class! !!

Thanks for all the constructive comments. I spend lots of time in the wheelhouse and am a very attentive student. My vessel has the best trainers and patience with those that have passed through our vessel. I do not presume to go straight from the galley to the crystal palace. I am much more concerned with safety than to think a piece of paper automatically makes me qualified. Unlike a lot of non-hausepipers that have passed through. I will be happy to continue cooking after getting the paper but at the same time spending time learning

The reason for my wanting to do it one stop shopping style is I have come into a financial windfall that would allow me to take a 3 month leave from work and concentrate on studying.

As for the first reply “google”. I am not a dumbass. I was looking for anyone with any knowledge by experience, not a smartass.

There is more knowledge on this board than anywhere else.

Thanks for all the constructive responses.

I I were in your situation I would get the OICNW assessments knocked out ASAP, and take the courses mentioned above ASAP to be able to get my application in before the upcoming CFR changes. Nobody knows what the new rules will be, but there is the possibility that assessments signed off onboard will no longer suffice, and you would face the whole battery of OICNW classes. Get the application in before that happens, and you then have a year to study, take any exam prep courses that might help, then take the tests.

145 Advanced Fire Fighting STCW
148 Radar Observer Unlimited
150 ARPA
151 BRM: Bridge Resource Management
152 GMDSS GOC / STCW
153 Medical First Aid Care Provider
200 Deck Officer Upgrade /Terrestrial Coastal Navigation/Master/Mate/500/1600/3000 Unlimited Mate/ OICNW
201 Celestial Navigation for Oceans Endorsement
202 Meteorology Basic - OICNW
203 Stability and Construction
204 Cargo Handling and Stowage - OICNW
205 Watchkeeping - OICNW
206 Electronic Navigation - OICNW
207 Visual Signaling Course, Software and Exam
208 Emergency Procedures -OICNW
209 SAR - Search and Rescue - OICNW
210 Gyro and Magnetic Compass - OICNW
211 Basic Ship Handling and Steering - OICNW Shiphandling
212 OICNW Assessment Session
214 Navigation and Deck General Supplemental
216 Human Element Leadership, Teamwork & Management Operational Level

Thanks for the info. Flyer

Best of luck to you in your quest to better yourself.

[QUOTE=“Flyer69;125477”]
Best of luck to you in your quest to better yourself.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm, What’s with you? You’re usually a hard ass. Feeling a little holiday cheer are we?

Jeez. Just trying to be helpful and pleasant.

[QUOTE=“Flyer69;125479”]
Jeez. Just trying to be helpful and pleasant.[/QUOTE]

I’m just messin’ around Flyer.

So am I :smiley:

[ATTACH]3790[/ATTACH]