Satellite phone for mid-ocean?

Does anyone know of a satellite phone or laptop card that will work in the mid Pacific Ocean. I would like to be able to download my email and/or go online while offshore so I can stop spending all my time in port catching up on business.
I’d appreciate any leads

VERY VERY VERY expensive for data… Iridium used to be 1.0 per minute, a little more for data but the problem was you could never get through because of satellite usage, took a long time trying.

Unless you want a bill for several hundred if not thousand dollars on a monthly basis forget it

Most the sail yachties (< 20M) use Iridium combined with SailMail. im not sure how long ago or where you got your review of the service but what I hear in the last 2 years is Iridium/email is pretty reliable.

You might Google GBAN and see what they have availible now.

Bob

A second thought:

Price Comparison: Consider a cell phone call in GOM. PetroCom charges $1.29 connection plus $0.79.min with ATT service. Verizon dont work offshore in the Rabbit Field =:

I dont think twice calling home for 10 min.
Lets see, 1980s marsat call: $10 dollars/ min. you could burn through a days wages in a 10 min call!
Bob

Hey Bob
maybe it has changed, I used to work for the owner of iridium phone service on his private yacht, in the south pacific he would not even use it because it never worked, took to long to get a line out, he hated it, instead he would use the minib system that he had, maybe it has changed

but either way it is VERY expensive to use satellite for data,

I’m trying to find something I can use in the South Pacific, not close to any land. I would like something to at least download my email, internet access would be great!
Thanks for the help so far

don’t waste your time looking for a system that doesn’t exist,try 3500 per month for a fixed system

look at this post
Price Comparison: Consider a cell phone call in GOM. PetroCom charges $1.29 connection plus $0.79.min with ATT service. Verizon dont work offshore in the Rabbit Field =:

I dont think twice calling home for 10 min.
Lets see, 1980s marsat call: $10 dollars/ min. you could burn through a days wages in a 10 min call!
Bob

TRY reading it slowly… UNLESS YOU WANT TO SPEND A HUGH AMOUNT OF MONEY, ABOUT 3500.00 PER MONTH FORGET ABOUT IT

I ahve looked into it and there are no really good options under the price point of $30,000 install and $1400 per month subscription charge.

That being said if you can live with just email and text updates then look into the SolaraData unit.

You can also get an iridium or INMARSAT fleet broadband mobile antenna but the per minute charges are going to kill you.

The best sources for info on this are Digital Ship and Panbo.

Been a few years, but in '03 and '04 we had no problems using a iridium phone, Indian Ocean, South and North Atlantic and Far East North Pacific. Heck it was 100% better than the INMARSAT-B quality wise in most places.

some time back took one to africa and back for 4 1/2 months…if I recall right…$300 p/m + $1.00 p/min…the c/e and I split the monthly everyone else paid their minutes.when the office found out they paid the monthly along with company related minutes…which was our plan all along…but no data service at that time…score one for the crew…suspect like everything else it is more pricey now…quality wise so-so…better than nothing.

My uncle bought a sat phone in Europe and he use it every he call us specially last month when he have marriage problems because his wife wants don’t want to stop divorce process his filed at the court.