San Fransisco towing Drill with CMA CGM’s Centaurus

I was rather surprised to see this evencovered in what is mainly a sailing blog. Anybody in the SF Bay area know more about the inception of this drill or have any coments on lessons learned? It looks like it was a fairly calm day for San Francisco Bay, might have been more of a challenge in the typical 25kt-35kt summer sea breeze or outside of the gate. Hopefully it was more than a feel good exercise. I wonder if it is a precursor to acquiring an emergency towing system like they have in a few Alaskan ports.

1200 Feet Long, Loaded, Under Tow

It’s billed as the first test/demonstration in the USA of towing one of the new crop of ultra-large ships. Here’s the word:Posted May 21, 2014
ALAMEDA, Calif. — Coast Guard Sector San Francisco personnel and CMA CGM – the third-largest shipping group – along with other local industry partners tested the Bay Area’s capability to tow ultra-large container vessels during an exercise Wednesday.

The vessel used for this exercise was CMA CGM’s Centaurus, an 11400 TEU container ship measuring 365 meters, or approximately 1,200 feet.The purpose of the towing demonstration was to test the capability of existing tug assets within San Francisco Bay to connect to and tow an ultra-large container vessel.
This exercise marked the first such attempt in the United States. The demonstration was intended as a learning experience conducted within the confines of the Bay to enhance preparedness for emergency towing operations either in the Bay or in the approaches to San Francisco. [snip]

That’s risky business, as what do they do if it goes poorly?

[QUOTE=z-drive;137946]That’s risky business, as what do they do if it goes poorly?[/QUOTE]

Ring up engines and steering. If necessary, add more tugs.

Here some info and photos

http://gcaptain.com/us-coast-guard-recruits-11000-teu-containership-emergency-tow-drill-draft/

[QUOTE=tugsailor;137952]Ring up engines and steering. If necessary, add more tugs.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I mean it more in the context of public perception… “In a controlled non-emergency environment you had issues, how are you going to prevent them when its a real emergency?” that kind of nonsense that would have inevitably come out if it went poorly.

Was it volunteer? Wonder what that cost?

I think that it probably was volunteer and viewed by the companies involved as a an opportunity to showcase their equipment and skills for the marketing and public relations benefits. The tugs probably made enough docking the ship to cover their costs.