Safety Meetings?

where do y’all get your topics? trying to change things up & not talk about the same things.

If your meetings have become too routine you could have a different crew member lead the meeting each week. This forces each of them to think like safety managers at least for a week and gives them a little bit of leadership experience as well. It also gives you deck level view in regards to safety. If you are open to a little criticism and have an open mind you may find they have some good ideas how you as a captain or mate can make their work safer. This will require some coaching and patience on your part, but I have found it pays dividends on both safety and team building.

[ATTACH]1702[/ATTACH]

Hey Ted -

Attached is a drill/inspection/training spreadsheet from a recent ship. It won’t all be pertinent to your vessel, but it covers most of what needs to be covered. If you can get through all the training in a month, you will certainly not be doing the same drill/training twice. Other than that, as was mentioned, spread the wealth. Have the other guys fill in - the engineers, ABs or mate need the experience in leading the drill/training, as well. Also takes the load off you. One of my favorite drills is killing myself off during an emergency and seeing how everyone else reacts.

Our company has handy calendars that tell us what drills to have when.

www.safetymeetingtopics.org has some good info on how to run a safety meeting. It’s definitely not a marine site, but that may be a good thing when one is trying to look outside the box for topics.

[QUOTE=RichMadden;63781][ATTACH]1702[/ATTACH]

Hey Ted -

Attached is a drill/inspection/training spreadsheet from a recent ship. It won’t all be pertinent to your vessel, but it covers most of what needs to be covered. If you can get through all the training in a month, you will certainly not be doing the same drill/training twice. Other than that, as was mentioned, spread the wealth. Have the other guys fill in - the engineers, ABs or mate need the experience in leading the drill/training, as well. Also takes the load off you. One of my favorite drills is killing myself off during an emergency and seeing how everyone else reacts.[/QUOTE]

Great spreadsheet. One of the toughest parts of my job is keeping tack of all of these things.

MSHA fatalgrams, are an excellent source of reports for safety meetings.Someone is always doing something stupid to remove themselves from the gene pool often by drowning while not wearing a work vest.

I recall one safety meeting that could be a safety meeting topic all in itself.

I was working 12-12 on an ITB. We were Northbound in the shipping lanes and heard a knock at the door. Safety meeting, I was told. So I got dressed and went into the galley, still half asleep. The captain had the new guy don a survival suit, The mates showed him how. I was pretty impressed, I had never seen every one participate before.

Everyone. The entire crew was in the galley for half an hour while we were making @9 knots through the fog in a shipping lane.

I guess the captain must have checked the radar before he came down.

One of the companies that I worked years ago as CE for had a Outside company come onboard to do an Audit yearly, this was before they became the norm.

We were inbound (under tonnage, Non Inspected Tug Barge Non ATB) on a river in the North East that required a live lookout in the pilot house with the Captain or Mate on watch. Well, the Auditor had been aboard for a week and a Holiday Weekend was approaching so the Auditor wanted off of the vessel. There was one more drill that needed to be done so he decided to OVERLOOK Company policy and hold the drill while underway. All hands were used in the drill with the Captain in charge. We broke SO many rules and regulations it was almost funny. The captain and I laughed about it for a long time. Oh, we did get a very high rating on the Audit.

It’s almost funny how we are forced to Violate rules and regulations just to satisfy this and all types of Audits / Inspections. I can not tell you the amount of Off Watch time was spent having to deal with vetting. All of the talk about work hours is a joke when it comes to this type of B.S.

To change up our safety meetings and explore new topics. We have what we call Safety moments which are a observation of any unsafe task, procedure, or hazard that any crew member has witnessed on the boat, barge or Jobsite. And we discuss these safety moments during our morning safety meeting and also the crew member has the option and is encouraged to “call out” the safety moment as its witnessed. Of course it gets a little out of hand at times but it definitely gets you thinking outside the box.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/home/index.cfm

Always something to inspire a safety meeting topic here …