Roc-mc

I want to get my Supervision of Oil Transfer Operation (SOTO) certification from Transport Canada. The one prerequisite that I don’t have is the Restricted Radio Operators Certificate: Marine Commercial. I have the study guide, and I’m ready to test. It looks like the pleasure boat version of this certificate is available to test from power sail squadron. Other places want to charge $4-500 for the course to prep for the test and to take the test. Where can I just write the test and take the oral?

[QUOTE=Emrobu;188129]I want to get my Supervision of Oil Transfer Operation (SOTO) certification from Transport Canada. The one prerequisite that I don’t have is the Restricted Radio Operators Certificate: Marine Commercial. I have the study guide, and I’m ready to test. It looks like the pleasure boat version of this certificate is available to test from power sail squadron. Other places want to charge $4-500 for the course to prep for the test and to take the test. Where can I just write the test and take the oral?[/QUOTE]

At a Transport Canada REC?

It’s not a TC exam. It’s Industry Canada, because its to do with the airwaves. But as far as I can tell, there’s no office for Industry Canada or they don’t administer tests.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;188146]It’s not a TC exam. It’s Industry Canada, because its to do with the airwaves. But as far as I can tell, there’s no office for Industry Canada or they don’t administer tests.[/QUOTE]

It’s ridiculous. In 40 plus years of sailing, nobody has ever, ever, asked me to show them my Restricted Radio Operators Certificate. The FCC has no enforcement arm. It’s a sham; fuck’em. It’s just another hand in your pocket from a bunch of bureaucrats sitting in a plush office in Washington. If you can get around it, I wouldn’t worry about the actual certificate unless the Mounted Police start flogging you with a Southern Quebec Maple tree branch but they are not allowed to waterboard so you should be OK.

The only time it will get checked is before TC gives out the SOTO. They check everything. Super effective checkers. I bet they have certificates proving that they have been trained to check certificates, but I should check to be sure. It’s not like I want to talk on the radio (I do have a sexy midnight DJ voice, but I only use my powers for good). Radio talking is strictly for bridge-people. If there’s ever an emergency bad enough that I’m the one calling for help, no one is going to care if I mess up the script. Not that I would mess up the script: I totally got this.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;188153]The only time it will get checked is before TC gives out the SOTO. They check everything. Super effective checkers. I bet they have certificates proving that they have been trained to check certificates, but I should check to be sure. It’s not like I want to talk on the radio (I do have a sexy midnight DJ voice, but I only use my powers for good). Radio talking is strictly for bridge-people. If there’s ever an emergency bad enough that I’m the one calling for help, no one is going to care if I mess up the script. Not that I would mess up the script: I totally got this.[/QUOTE]

I once ran a private yacht for a dude who owned hundreds of radio stations. He told me more than once that he thought it was hilarious that his company was paying me to talk on the radio but I could only be heard on VHF.
Just remember to stay calm and speak clearly. Over.

Lee Shore Lee Shore Lee Shore
This is Emrobu
Confirm. Speak calm and clear.
Echo Mike Romeo Oscah Bravo Uniform
Out.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;188157]Lee Shore Lee Shore Lee Shore
This is Emrobu
Confirm. Speak calm and clear.
Echo Mike Romeo Oscah Bravo Uniform
Out.[/QUOTE]

Tell Radio Canada or whoever that I said to give you the damn certificate.

PS How do other mariners get theirs?

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;188163]Tell Radio Canada or whoever that I said to give you the damn certificate.

PS How do other mariners get theirs?[/QUOTE]

Confirm. Tell them to give me the delta alfa mike november cert.

(am I allowed to say that on the radio?)

If I knew how others were getting it, I wouldn’t be bull sierra hotel india tangoing with you here.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;188168]Confirm. Tell them to give me the delta alfa mike november cert.

(am I allowed to say that on the radio?)

If I knew how others were getting it, I wouldn’t be bull sierra hotel india tangoing with you here.[/QUOTE]

I can’t believe your are the only eskimo in the great white north frozen tundra trying to get that worthless certificate.

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;188175]I can’t believe your are the only eskimo in the great white north frozen tundra trying to get that worthless certificate.[/QUOTE]

There’s at least 2 schools here that offer the course and the test as a aprox. $500 package. But I don’t want to spend that and 5 days of my life that I should be able to just walk into a DMV type situation and write/say the exam. I know the guy that’s offering the class starting on Monday. My plan is to show up and ask him how much it costs to skip the class and just do the test on Friday. He’s one of these guys that doesn’t think chicks should be offshore, so… Stay tuned to see how that goes down.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;188177]There’s at least 2 schools here that offer the course and the test as a aprox. $500 package. But I don’t want to spend that and 5 days of my life that I should be able to just walk into a DMV type situation and write/say the exam. I know the guy that’s offering the class starting on Monday. My plan is to show up and ask him how much it costs to skip the class and just do the test on Friday. He’s one of these guys that doesn’t think chicks should be offshore, so… Stay tuned to see how that goes down.[/QUOTE]

Before starting negotiations on a price, casually mention that you confine your submissive wife to the kitchen, barefoot and ready to serve. It might sway him to give you a bit of a break.
PS: If you have a wife, don’t give her any details about the negotiations.

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;188212]Before starting negotiations on a price, casually mention that you confine your submissive wife to the kitchen, barefoot and ready to serve. It might sway him to give you a bit of a break.
PS: If you have a wife, don’t give her any details about the negotiations.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think I’d know what to do with a wife. I never gave it much thought. More of a cat person, actually. What is so oppressive about bare feet, anyway? Shoes! Shoes are the real tools of oppression. High heels? Point shoes? Those foot-binding slipper things? Someone explain why dudes think it’s sexy when you’re literally crippled by fashion? What is so hot about not being able to run, jump, skip, kick, or walk on soft or uneven ground? Bare feet, I say! Freedom of the toes!

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;188212]Before starting negotiations on a price, casually mention that you confine your submissive wife to the kitchen, barefoot and ready to serve. It might sway him to give you a bit of a break.
PS: If you have a wife, don’t give her any details about the negotiations.[/QUOTE]

Careful or you’ll end up like c.captain. By the way, Em is a lady.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;188220]Careful or you’ll end up like c.captain. By the way, Em is a lady.[/QUOTE]

I have been accused of that before. I like the tone here, I’m not so easy to offend. It’s gets weird when people start to censor themselves because of my lady-like nature. Its healthy to be able to make off-colour remarks. If you can’t do that, it’s bad for the spirit of the group. If everyone is having a good laugh, and you walk into the room and it goes silent, you can potentially feel bad about it. It means people aren’t comfortable with you, or they’re afraid that you are out to get them somehow. Super uncomfortable for everyone. Lee Shore’s comment was poking fun at this antique instructor that I have to go carefully with tomorrow, he wasn’t saying anything poisonous about women.

And if anyone’s going to be unshod and gestating in my galley, it aught to be me. For the record.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;188214]I don’t think I’d know what to do with a wife. I never gave it much thought. More of a cat person, actually. What is so oppressive about bare feet, anyway? Shoes! Shoes are the real tools of oppression. High heels? Point shoes? Those foot-binding slipper things? Someone explain why dudes think it’s sexy when you’re literally crippled by fashion? What is so hot about not being able to run, jump, skip, kick, or walk on soft or uneven ground? Bare feet, I say! Freedom of the toes![/QUOTE]

High heels are instruments of the devil made popular by a French king to make himself look more kingly. Women have been hoodwinked into wearing them because it makes their legs look more shapely. It’s a not so subtle form of subjugation. I refuse to wear high heels and I don’t allow shoes of any kind on my boat.

PS - Good luck with the chauvinist.

Doesn’t mean she can’t have a wife.

Today is a stat holiday. Why didn’t you smarty-pants tell me? This doesn’t bode well…

[QUOTE=Emrobu;188243]Today is a stat holiday. Why didn’t you smarty-pants tell me? This doesn’t bode well…[/QUOTE]

http://www.statutoryholidays.com/civic-holiday.php

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;188245]http://www.statutoryholidays.com/civic-holiday.php[/QUOTE]

Worst wife ever, Lee Shore.