RFPNW Grandfathered?

Is this true… That if you did this before 1991 they gave you and RFPNW with your BST? I know old people who said they were given it when they got there BST? If so this is SUCKS, MSC only AB’s and OS’s steer and do watches, and I hold and AB but had to take a stewards position cause that’s all that was opened… well I will have to do 180 days of 4 hours watches unpaid on my own time just to get my RFPNW. Thats a lot of boring work considering I am doing 12 hour days anyways. So if I want to stand watches for FREE it will be a 16 hour day!!! I know I am being a baby and crying but it pisses me off that I have to work fairly hard for what people got for free back in the day!!!

This being…“RFPNW alternatives
Proof of one year of sea service in a relevant capacity within the deck department between 1 October 1986 and 30 September 1991” from the NMC website

[QUOTE=HawspiperJeff;35850]

well I will have to do 180 days of 4 hours watches unpaid on my own time just to get my RFPNW. [/QUOTE]

Not sure about BST being included but there is a 5 year window that does get credit…

Jeff, since you are already in a bad mood I want to warn you, I am about to make it a little worse…

The regulation says an approved day of sea going service is 8 hours for RFPNW…so it’s technically 360 days of 4 hour watches…sorry

Believe me when I tell you I feel your pain and don’t think you are being a baby…The idiots that wrote this must have never gone to sea, or they did and it scared the hell out of them…

lol. I forgot to say, at the MSC school we took the RFPNW course and I guess that entitles us to only do 180days? P.S. RFPNW class at other schools 1-2 days at MSC…3-4 hours with breaks (rolling eyes)

you might want to look into a school that does RFPNW, wekend course but gives LOOKOUT only but you can stand watches with it, good for 1 year I think, check out MPT in fort lauderdale

Mr 100, I think Jeff said that he took RFPNW at the MSC school…Sounds like MSC has a deal with NMC for cutting the time in half for watch standing… I think I am envious ,maybe even jealous…

they have a PROGRAM that does cut it in half but a CLASS with give him the LOOKOUT only so he can stand watches in international waters and get AB pay

I see what you are saying…I assumed the MSC class would have given them that…Interesting…

[QUOTE=Mr 100-ton;35862]they have a PROGRAM that does cut it in half but a CLASS with give him the LOOKOUT only so he can stand watches in international waters and get AB pay[/QUOTE] I think I kinda understand your post?.. Let me say this class I took (hardly that) cuts my time for rfpnw in half I now need 180 days, I am 99% sure of that, and also I do NOT get anything out of it, I will NOT be able to stand watch or anything because of that class , 99% sure on that also.

I know there is an RFPNW and the school you can do on the simulator,  are you saying that will get me something???? I really don't care I am  shipping out in a week for at least 6 months, and if the Mate on watch lets me I will get my 180  unpaid watches or close to that done on my first trip. For the most part I just posted to cry and complain and maybe get an answer on the grandfather thing???

MSC does not have a “deal” with MSC, they are using one of the two methods allowed in STCW to obtain RFPNW, completion of a training program that includes at least two months of bridge watchkeeping. They are not the only ones with this “deal” there are many others. MSC’s program begins with “pre-sea” training (the STCW term), that gets them the lookout only certification. It is followed by a shipboard program that upon completyion gets them RFPNW. As I said, they are not the only ones with such a program. Some companies and unions have them also, and a few schools who have made arrangements with operators to place and train the students on their vessels.

[QUOTE=HawspiperJeff;35864]I think I kinda understand your post?.. Let me say this class I took (hardly that) cuts my time for rfpnw in half I now need 180 days,…[/QUOTE]

The class doesn’t cut your time in half. It’s the first part of an approved program.

[QUOTE=HawspiperJeff;35864] … I know there is an RFPNW and the school you can do on the simulator, are you saying that will get me something??? …[/QUOTE]

Most likely the simulator claass you are referring to is for the RFPNW assessments and does not do anyuthing towards the sea service.

it’s the same thing at Quality Maritime in St Pete, Fl

[QUOTE=HawspiperJeff;35856]lol. I forgot to say, at the MSC school we took the RFPNW course and I guess that entitles us to only do 180days? P.S. RFPNW class at other schools 1-2 days at MSC…3-4 hours with breaks (rolling eyes)[/QUOTE]

180 days is the requirement even if you have no RFPNW class at all.

[QUOTE=Mr 100-ton;35862]they have a PROGRAM that does cut it in half but a CLASS with give him the LOOKOUT only so he can stand watches in international waters and get AB pay[/QUOTE]

An approved program does not cut the sea time requirement in half, it reduces it to 60 days.

[QUOTE=Robert;35899]An approved program does not cut the sea time requirement in half, it reduces it to 60 days.[/QUOTE]

Thgis is true, provided that the 60 days is part of a program approved by the Coast Guard. It doesn’t mean take a short class ashore and then go out and get your own 60 days of sea time. The 60 days has to be as specified in the approved program.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;35874]MSC does not have a “deal” with MSC, they are using one of the two methods allowed in STCW to obtain RFPNW, completion of a training program that includes at least two months of bridge watchkeeping. They are not the only ones with this “deal” there are many others. MSC’s program begins with “pre-sea” training (the STCW term), that gets them the lookout only certification. It is followed by a shipboard program that upon completyion gets them RFPNW. As I said, they are not the only ones with such a program. Some companies and unions have them also, and a few schools who have made arrangements with operators to place and train the students on their vessels.[/QUOTE]

My apologies for improper terminology…I was tired and wasn’t thinking in technical terms…

Thanks for all the great info guys, still a little confused but I don’t really care because I told myself I am going to make my first stint onboard as as I have to to complete my requirements for my RFPNW. Anyone know about the grandfather thing??

[QUOTE=HawspiperJeff;35929]Thanks for all the great info guys, still a little confused but I don’t really care because I told myself I am going to make my first stint onboard as as I have to to complete my requirements for my RFPNW. Anyone know about the grandfather thing??[/QUOTE]

I don’t know why the particular dates for the grandfather clause were chosen. I’m curious to know if the fount of regulatory information, Mr. Cavo, happens to know how those dates were arrived at.

I have looked for any information on those dates for a long time…Along the way I noticed that the grandfather clause extended to RFP “E” W as well…Not that that helps you jeff but I thought it was interesting never the less…I think you are on the right track going about it the way that you are…

Don’t let this grandfather thing be a “deal” breaker for you…have fun and learn lots…:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Shellback;35946]I have looked for any information on those dates for a long time…Along the way I noticed that the grandfather clause extended to RFP “E” W as well…Not that that helps you jeff but I thought it was interesting never the less…I think you are on the right track going about it the way that you are…

Don’t let this grandfather thing be a “deal” breaker for you…have fun and learn lots…:)[/QUOTE]

I didn’t know it was the same dates for RFPEW. It just gets more and more interesting.

[QUOTE=Robert;35952]I didn’t know it was the same dates for RFPEW. It just gets more and more interesting.[/QUOTE]

In 14-02 it shows the same dates…Page 30 of 66…