RFPNW before aug 1 1998

[quote=Mr 100-ton;12647]Post by JDCAVO

seem to contradict each other. NO offense meant to JDCAVO or NMC.[/quote]

I think Mr. Cavo is correct…They are seperate…

The response you got back from NMC implies that it’s inherent of AB unlimited to have RFPNW…Does that mean an AB unlimited on an MMC doesn’t have to correspond with an STCW with an II/2 on it.?..

That II/2 on an STCW, is what employers are looking for…

The thing that seems to get left out of all of the descriptions is that the 180 days of sea time isn’t just the time…It’s the 4 hour watches that goes along with it…It’s specifies in 14-02 that 2 , (4) hour watches a day, counts as day…So techinically you need 360 watches if you don’t go to a school and all of the schools but one only give you lookout only and you still need all of those watches to get the rest of it…

I took the class and the watch record in my book supports this…This 6 months of sea service isn’t quite accurate…

Did you sea time happen to land in that loophole, in 14-02?

hah!!:d…

do not think the sea time dates apply to me. I applied for the RFPNW along with my AB limited, 100 master, 200 mate.

I received 100-200 AB UNLIMITED. When i asked about the STCW certificate for the RFPNW I was told that they do not issue one with the AB UNLIMITED so none was issued. 2 calls to NMC said the same thing as the email. I realize that they are 2 different things but when no STCW certificate is issued it makes you wonder. I am told that NMC does not issue stcw certificate for just BST, you would need something else like RFPNW to get one,BUT if RFPNW is inherent to AB unlimited is make since NO certificate then, who knows

100-ton:confused::confused::confused:
100-ton

[B][I]I’m gonna try and break this down…Tell me what you think…[/I][/B]

to get Ab unlimited, having STCW is a requirement.
[B][I]Lifeboatman would fit this scenario too…In fact it’s already a requirement…[/I][/B]

In order to AB unlimited on STCW, the mariner would need RFPNW

[B][I]Inorder to what??? add? have? to receive? AB unlimited…[/I][/B]
[B][/B]
[B][I]Is AB on an STCW? I thought it was only on an MMD or now the new MMC…[/I][/B]

Because RFPNW is inherent to AB unlimited, it would not specifically say that you had RFPNW
[B]What would not specifically say that you had RFPNW?? Your STCW? I thought that was the whole purpose…If it doesn’t say it ,then how will anyone know that you have it???[/B]

[B]Is he trying to say that AB UNLIMITED is all you need ,and if you have it then the STCW doesn’t need to reflect it?[/B]

[B]I’m more confused than ever…MMC has the rating AB…STCW has the endorsements,.LB,RFPNW…right???[/B]

Brandon Crouse
security assistant corp
team lead
contractor to U.S. Coast Guard
N.M.C.
THIS WAS MY QUESTION TO NMC LAST WEEK
My question to them was

1. with AB unlimited rating on an MMD is it a prerequisite to have your RFPNW done or do they issue this rating without the RFPNW
  2. when MMC issues the UNLIMITED rating do they issue an STCW certificate with the RFPNW on it???

Mr. 100-ton[/quote]

[B]Is he trying to say that AB UNLIMITED is all you need ,and if you have it then the STCW doesn’t need to reflect it?

[/B][I][U]that is the way I took it

[/U][/I][B]I’m more confused than ever…MMC has the rating AB…STCW has the endorsements,.LB,RFPNW…right[/B]
[I][U]might be better to start smoking crack, maybe we could figure is out then[/U][/I]

[B][I]Lifeboatman would fit this scenario too…In fact it’s already a requirement…

[/I][/B][U][I]Lifeboat is required for all AB now so it should not show on your stcw[/I][/U][B][/B]

[quote=Mr 100-ton;12655][B][I]Lifeboatman would fit this scenario too…In fact it’s already a requirement…[/I][/B]

[U][I]Lifeboat is required for all AB now so it should not show on your stcw[/I][/U][/quote]

Oh, I have LB on mine…

I never smoked crack before…You really think it might help huh?:D:D

at this point I have no stcw certificate for rfpnw, lifeboat or bst, but got the 100-200 ab unlimited:):slight_smile: who knows:confused::confused:

crack and a beer might help

but happily employed and working, so far no problems, upgrading to mate osv soon so we will see what happens then

100-ton

Ya me too…can’t really bitch, work is steady right now…I think I’ll just keep at it and concentrate on my license upgrade…going for 100/200 soon…

good luck on your upgrade…

take the 100 school back to back with the 200 if possible. I did and found it easier. several captain with 100 ton for many years had a hard time with the 200 test

Good advice,thanks…

I already have the 50 ton and think it was just recentcy for the upgrade…I need to start looking that over to see what may have changed…

Do you need MROP for 100? It seems like I read that somewhere…

Do you need MROP for 100? It seems like I read that somewhere…[/quote]

i think you do, i did the 200 at mpt with the mrop and it was easy, test at the school

Do you mean II/4?

yes,I was saving ink, or in this case energy…My hand was closer to the 2…:smiley:

That web sirte looks to be very old, I’m pretty sure I saw it close to 10 years ago. In any event, the info there concerning service before 8/1/98 ended on 2/1/02. That was the “gap-closing” or grandfathering period for STCW. If you had time before 8/1/98, you had until 2/1/02 to be qualify for an STCW certification.

The “org” domain name makes it hard to tell who owns the web site. It’s not a USCG site.

Under NMC checklist for RFPNW,
Proof of one year of sea service in a relevant capacity within the deck
department between 1 October 1986 and 30 September 1991
PL 14-02 enclosure (1).

This under http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists.asp .

I find it amazing that a one week course can let you work on deck in every capacity as an AB, one week will certify you in lifeboat, and one week covers the entire BST. Yet, one must jump through this ridiculous loophole to get RFPNW. Why can’t a couple of days in a simulator qualify you for this simplest of tasks? I too, am trying to return to deep sea sailing. I had over 4 years of sea time. First time I ever steered a ship was playing “Texas chicken” in the Houston ship channel. I’ve hand steered in 60’ seas with 130 mph winds in the Gulf of Alaska. I’ve steered in Antarctica. Yet, for some reason, all of a sudden, I don’t know how to steer, stand a lookout or turn over a watch!?!? Oh yeah, served 6 years in Navy as a signalman, ie a glorified lookout. Sent a note to NMC, hopefully this qualifies. Seems to be a big hurdle for many individuals, especially with the scarcity of OS jobs.

Your analogy is not correct. Sea service, training, and assessment are three separate requirements. You are using the shorter lengths of the courses required for some credentials and comparing them to the much longer service requirements for others. It’s comparing apples to hammers and is a flawed and/or misleading analogy.

“One week” gets you out of taking the Coast Guard exam for Able Seaman, it does not eliminate the requirement to get up to 36 months of sea service for Able Seaman. Similarly, “one week” will cover the training requirement for lifeboatman, it does not eliminate the requirement to have at least 6 months of service.

A more appropriate comparison would be that Lifeboatman/Proficiency in Survival Craft require at least 6 months of sea time, and RFPNW requires at least 6 months of sea time (or completing an approved program that lasts at least two months).

There are schools approved to do the RFPNW assessments, they can probably do them all in about a day or two.

[edited to fix typos]

Mr Cavo, Understood. I already had AB-unlimited. Just frustrated trying to find appropriate info. It used to be so much easier. I did get an answer from NMC, in regards to my question mentioned above:
This is true, as long as the service is between 01-Oct-1986 and 30-Sept-1991.

Thank you for contacting the Mariner Information Call Center.

Fortunately, I have that covered. Still don’t get it, but not going to argue about it. With the quick response Mr Cavo (and thank you BTW), and to save me more frustration, do I need to redo the AB and/or lifeboat? Discharged last ship Sept 97. Thanks, Paul.

Shellback & Mr. 100-Ton - How about a follow up posting on how you came out with this discussion?

Many thanks!

This is the latest, when I requested the RFPNW on my STCW about 2 months ago, NMC told me that i had not completed my RFPNW. I mentioned that 2 evaluators told me that it had been completed as they do not issue the AB UNLIMITED without the RFPNW, I also mentioned an email that NMC had sent me saying the same thing… the Evaluator requested a copy of that email, but said she cold not put the RFPNW on my stcw till it was complete, she allowed me to email up the missing documents (i completed the rfpnw anyways just to be safe) and then issued the new STCW… i also added in my email to her that MPT has on there web site that you can not get AB UNLIMITED without the RFPNW and added the web link. I just covered myself with NMC to be safe, someday NMC will get together and figure out what is needed