Research

I have always been interested in Maritime careers especially fishing. I was wondering what type of research I should do to learn more about methods and the culture of seamen. My particular interest is in longline fishing as I’ve been very interested in it ever since reading Sebasitan Junger’s book on the [I]Andrea Gai[/I]. Could anyone recommend good sources on what life at sea is like and what goes into a successful fishing trip?

Thanks in advance and I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask such a question

An instructor at my local maritime school recommended a book named The Big Buck’s Guide to Shipping Out as a Merchant Seaman by Capt. Jonathan Allen. It can be purchased on Amazon, and I found it to be a very informative read. Captain Allen also authored a book pertaining to commercial fishing named The Big Buck’s Guide to Commercial Fishing in Alaska. I haven’t read that, but I imagine it would be equally informative.

Some nonsense thrown in, but most of Linda greenlaw’s books are pretty realistic as far as day to day life goes long lining.

[QUOTE=inspectorjavert;154888]I have always been interested in Maritime careers especially fishing. I was wondering what type of research I should do to learn more about methods and the culture of seamen. My particular interest is in longline fishing as I’ve been very interested in it ever since reading Sebasitan Junger’s book on the Andrea Gail. Could anyone recommend good sources on what life at sea is like and what goes into a successful fishing trip?

Thanks in advance and I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask such a question[/QUOTE]

Watch every episode of “Deadliest Catch” back to back without food, water, sleep or going to take a leak. If you still want to be a fisherman after that ordeal, you can come back here and ask then…

I will say that the key element to a successful fishing trip is one where many fish are caught.

And sold at the right price.

And not end up with a debilitating injury or worse.

Where only half the crew doped themselves into a stupor

Also try to avoid alliding, colliding, catching fire, foundering, sinking, etc.