Reinaur huge sign Hiring Tug Mates NY /KVK

Reinaur Transportation which pushes red flags has a huge sign on their dock facing New York Harbor’s busy Kill Van Kull shipping channel: Hiring Tug Mates 718-816-8167.

I thought they were one of the better places to work. Are they having trouble holding on to people?

They have had a sign in the yard a few times, guess the pool of guys from k-sea/kirby has finally dried up.

Again? It’s like 2007 all over again. Signing bonus again too?

Exactly, i remember when it was big money to bring over a mate, or captain from someplace else. Tug captains where finding deckhands in high schools and pizza parlors,

Lol but yet from the sound of it they still won’t give anyone a raise!

How are all the schoolboy AB/second mates doing? Obviously not being trained or don’t have the talent.

[QUOTE=z-drive;113926]Again? It’s like 2007 all over again. Signing bonus again too?[/QUOTE]

that’s how Mac sucked me to Ny, was a signing bonus.

[QUOTE=“z-drive;113930”]Lol but yet from the sound of it they still won’t give anyone a raise!

How are all the schoolboy AB/second mates doing? Obviously not being trained or don’t have the talent.[/QUOTE]

There is certainly no type of training program over at RTC. Reinauer would rather hire from outside the company then train and promote within. Raise you say? hahaha

I called. If you dont have oil barge experience they dont want you. The old catch 22 you cant get the job with out the experience and you cant get the experience with out doing it.

Yes, the NY idea is you go smash [I]other[/I] peoples’ stuff around for a few years THEN they hire you and “retrain,” rather than just train a guy the way you’d want from the get-go. The mentality and business model doesn’t work when you have AB’s and second “mates” with licenses that the old grumpy captains won’t train. I bet at least one in ten has some eagerness to learn and talent to build on…:confused:

What is the daily rate for mates at RTC?

Just might have to abandon ship here.

[QUOTE=“z-drive;114020”]Yes, the NY idea is you go smash other peoples’ stuff around for a few years THEN they hire you and “retrain,” rather than just train a guy the way you’d want from the get-go. The mentality and business model doesn’t work when you have AB’s and second “mates” with licenses that the old grumpy captains won’t train. I bet at least one in ten has some eagerness to learn and talent to build on…:confused:[/QUOTE]

Z, you hit the nail on the m.f. head!! Well said sir!

I wonder what happened to all their Tugboat U guys??

Only a handful actually finished it from what I understand, all hearsay of course. There are people I could ask who would know but it seems like a sore subject. Some left the business, some just never took the exams, and I can think of a guy or two within the harbor that [B][I]probably[/I][/B] finished it but still decks. I think some guys in the program got stuck with some of the prick captains (maybe intentionally?) and got run off the boats. This isn’t meant to imply all of this did or did not happen to the Reinauer guys that did it but the NY scene in general.

Once again its 60+ year old captains with alcohol/nicotine problems that won’t teach a guy because they are afraid of someone’s potential to be able to do their job someday. See that shit all the time.

Part of the issue is that why would someone go move big oil equipment around the places that the northeast companies do? You’ll either make less money than on a mudboat, or only make 5-10k more a year than somewhere else that doesn’t require you to lose a day or two every crew-change out of town unpaid, pay for travel before reimbursement, work 6/6, maintain 50+ charts, have to cook/buy grub, and sometimes deal with shit equipment. Reinauer isn’t a bad place to work by any means but the whole thing is that for the money they (NY tug companies) pay why would someone want to do it if they are going to lose money, or only make a little more for all the other BS? I make a little less than a Reinauer mate, sailing mate elsewhere but I don’t have 1/4 the stuff to contend with and for another 5 grand a year and all kinds of lost time traveling why would I? Barring a big raise (sounds like that’s out of the question) I don’t see too many interested people popping up. Maybe Grumpy Bouchard guys that want to leave, but I recall RTC not holding them in the highest regard solely based off reputation alone.

[QUOTE=“z-drive;114109”]Only a handful actually finished it from what I understand, all hearsay of course. There are people I could ask who would know but it seems like a sore subject. Some left the business, some just never took the exams, and I can think of a guy or two within the harbor that probably finished it but still decks. I think some guys in the program got stuck with some of the prick captains (maybe intentionally?) and got run off the boats. This isn’t meant to imply all of this did or did not happen to the Reinauer guys that did it but the NY scene in general.

Once again its 60+ year old captains with alcohol/nicotine problems that won’t teach a guy because they are afraid of someone’s potential to be able to do their job someday. See that shit all the time.

Part of the issue is that why would someone go move big oil equipment around the places that the northeast companies do? You’ll either make less money than on a mudboat, or only make 5-10k more a year than somewhere else that doesn’t require you to lose a day or two every crew-change out of town unpaid, pay for travel before reimbursement, work 6/6, maintain 50+ charts, have to cook/buy grub, and sometimes deal with shit equipment. Reinauer isn’t a bad place to work by any means but the whole thing is that for the money they (NY tug companies) pay why would someone want to do it if they are going to lose money, or only make a little more for all the other BS? I make a little less than a Reinauer mate, sailing mate elsewhere but I don’t have 1/4 the stuff to contend with and for another 5 grand a year and all kinds of lost time traveling why would I? Barring a big raise (sounds like that’s out of the question) I don’t see too many interested people popping up. Maybe Grumpy Bouchard guys that want to leave, but I recall RTC not holding them in the highest regard solely based off reputation alone.[/QUOTE]

Again, really well said z-drive. I’m a little speechless because you are so dead on in my opinion.

Figured with stack of resumes Barbara has gotten over the past couple years she’d look through them & start calling people.

Lol, of all the companies I applied to back in 2009 only 2 responded with polite negatives: Chuoest, and Hornbeck. Hornbeck even emailed me 2 years later asking if I needed work. I had to graciously decline, but I appreciated their awareness. The rest pretty much ignored me, not even an automated response.

If I decide to try the gulf, Hornbeck and Chouest will get first cut if they want it.

It’s no coincidence that successful companies also happen to treat job applicants with basic respect.

They’ll start poaching a few good guys from the other outfits that are fed up with the BS where they are and want a change of pace. As much as like to think we all are tough to replace or replicate these companies to a good job of finding people when they have to.

Least you could call them and get something in the works if you have what they need without just showing up “ready to go,” unlike the gulf.

Ok all you guys are completely wrong as some always are. Not trying to be rude or anything to nobody. But I work for Reinauer the reason they are hiring mates just MATES and some engineers ( no captain ) from outside is that they have 2 new ATB’s coming out one this summer and one in December. Reinauer likes to promote with in the company but there a huge checklist progress to go from AB to mate. There not enough AB done with the progress to be mates yet, and Reinauer need to start training training the mates for the new ATB so with no AB ready they had to turn in to hiring outside people that explain the huge sign at the yard because they need someone ready for the beginning of August. They are a awesome company to work for with the fleet expanding the company is growing bigger and better.the guys that are saying that the experience necessary is insane and too much. It’s because have you looked at our fleet do you want someone not experience steering one of the ATB’s ? We have huge contracts with shell, motiva, and Hess and we go by there rules also. That’s why Reinauer is the number one company in the harbor and also the number one company of safety. For the guys that what to make stuff up or think this is why they are hiring you should get your fact straight and speak with Someone that is employed by Reinauer. Thank you and have a safe day.

Oh and it’s not a bonus thing. Plus everybody got raises now with our new contracts.