Reflagging to US

Is there a resource of being able to check for vessels that have been reflagged to US flag, or vessel currently in the process?

I’d start with the National Vessel Documentation Center but you may wind up doing a FOIA request.

The answer is obvious: there aren’t any.

All seriousness aside, MARAD used to post press releases when a vessel was reflagged out of the US, but they seem to have stopped that. Guess they really don’t want us to know the truth. But it’s always possible you can dig up something from MARAD.

I heard that the second HOS boat, the Iron Horse was flagged U.S… I know it was built overseas, the same place the HOS Achiever was built.
I question someone how can that be, that a vessel can be flagged U.S., if it was built foreign, but it obviously can.
Not sure how or what needs to be done. I am sure someone can (and probably will) post something.

[quote=CaptRob1;22077]I heard that the second HOS boat, the Iron Horse was flagged U.S… I know it was built overseas, the same place the HOS Achiever was built.
I question someone how can that be, that a vessel can be flagged U.S., if it was built foreign, but it obviously can.
Not sure how or what needs to be done. I am sure someone can (and probably will) post something.[/quote]

Apparently is can be, but I’m sure there would be some type of burden on the owner to prove a certain vessel will not displace a current US built vessel. I’m guessing, but Global has done it recently. Better than leaving it foreign.

You can reflag to US flag. But you can not engage in Jones Act trade.

That doesn’t make any sense. Why would you reflag? …to hire expensive US labor to work foreign?

to get MSP program contracts. The ship can be built anywhere as long as it can pass an ABS and COI inspection and fly a U.S. flag on her.

It’s been done by Sealift Inc.and TransAtlantic Lines, both times to work the Diego Garcia MSC charter supply shuttle run. The ship Sealift Inc. used was reflagged MV Sagamore and unseated the MV Margaret B. Chouest and 5 years later the TransAtlantic lines reflag was named MV Baffin Strait and unseated the MV Sagamore.

http://www.marad.dot.gov/documents/VESSEL_TRANSFER_FACTS.pdf

The ship can be classed by any IACS member, ABS is only one of them.

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;22103]It’s been done by Sealift Inc.and TransAtlantic Lines, both times to work the Diego Garcia MSC charter supply shuttle run. The ship Sealift Inc. used was reflagged MV Sagamore and unseated the MV Margaret B. Chouest and 5 years later the TransAtlantic lines reflag was named MV Baffin Strait and unseated the MV Sagamore.[/QUOTE]

Sealift recently won that charter back, and will be reflagging another ship in it’s place.

You can find out documentation information on any USCG documented vessel here:
http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByName.html

Won’t tell you about anything is progress, but will tell you the status of vessels that are currently enrolled.

Really!? I’m surprised that there is no announcement of it on the AMO website. They have seemed to gloat and gleefully announce new jobs coming to their union members, (especially when they take jobs from non-union mariners.)

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;22116]Really!? I’m surprised that there is no announcement of it on the AMO website. They have seemed to gloat and gleefully announce new jobs coming to their union members, (especially when they take jobs from non-union mariners.)[/QUOTE]

Couldn’t remember my source. Here’s a link:www.marinelog.com/DOCS/NEWSMMIX/2009aug00202.html

This must be the ship:http://www.sealiftinc.com/photo_mohegan.html

I think it’s the former Rio Bogota, IMO 9100243. Mohegan might be its new name.

Baffin Strait was actually Chinese built. She is also classed by DNV.

Is this the same Sealift company that ran the Sealift tankers named after oceans (Atlantic, Pacific, Arctic…) for MSC? If it is, run from these cheap b-tards.

[quote=CaptRob1;22077]I heard that the second HOS boat, the Iron Horse was flagged U.S… I know it was built overseas, the same place the HOS Achiever was built.
Not sure how or what needs to be done. I am sure someone can (and probably will) post something.[/quote]

You have to be Vanuatu licensed to work aboard. At least for the Achiever that is true. Hornbeck wanted that Merwede design for the multi-purpose construction market they are getting into. They are sweet vessels. An aquaintance that sails as mate/relief capt. has been on the Achiever since fitting it out and they have been working steady with no breaks. Soon they will be heading back to Holland and then to work off Norway.

<TABLE class=indent><TBODY><TR><TD class=label>Ship Name</TD><TD class=data>RIO BOGOTA</TD><TD class=label>Shiptype</TD><TD class=data>Container Ship (Fully cellular)</TD><TD class=label>

</TD><TD class=data>

</TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>Year of Build</TD><TD class=data>1994</TD><TD class=label>LR/IMO Ship No.</TD><TD class=data>9100243</TD><TD class=label>

</TD><TD class=data>

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>Gross Tonnage</TD><TD class=data>6,297</TD><TD class=label>Deadweight</TD><TD class=data>7,850</TD><TD class=label>

</TD><TD class=data>

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>MMSI No.</TD><TD class=data>636091523</TD><TD class=label>Call Sign</TD><TD class=data>A8PA2</TD><TD class=label>

</TD><TD class=data>

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>Status</TD><TD class=data>In Service/Commission</TD><TD class=label>Flag</TD><TD class=data>Liberia</TD><TD class=label>

</TD><TD class=data>

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>Last Updated</TD><TD class=data>2009-11-13</TD><TD class=label>Data validated</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>