REC's Closed

I just got off the phone with the NMC asking why my credential status was not showing up on their website, I was told all the REC’s are closed and everything is at a stand still due to the shut down. I asked them what provisions they were going to be taking if the VPDSD wasn’t processed by the end of the year. He said they were well aware of the problems and were in discussions on what actions they would have to take should the shut down continues

They have already extended all credentials that expired since the shut down till the end of the year.
MSIB Number 36-13; October 9, 2013

http://www.brymar-consulting.com/wp-content/uploads/Misc/MSIB_36-13.pdf

For reference

[QUOTE=rigdvr;122181]They have already extended all credentials that expired since the shut down till the end of the year.
MSIB Number 36-13; October 9, 2013[/QUOTE]

Not all, only “national” endorsements are automatically extended, STCW endorsements are not national endorsements. For STCW, note the following from the MSIB:

For those mariners who must renew their credential and are likely to sail on international routes, the Coast Guard will issue a new credential. The Coast Guard will examine the mariner’s information and issue a new credential to that mariner whose credential expires during the affected period which will have an expiration date of 31 December 2013. Those mariners that know their credential will expire between October 1, 2013 and November 30, 2013, and are likely to sail internationally, should contact the National Maritime Center as indicated below.

So where do we stand with VPDSD

I think a lot of companies are going to be in trouble come 1/1/14 if this really goes into effect. Out of our 21 crew onboard, 5 have it so far - but 3 already had VSO before this came out.

I know my work is scrambling to get everyone through it in time.

I’d like to know as well. I get off the boat on the 16th and was going to head to the REC in boston to retake a module for my masters and turn in my letter for that. Looks like I will have more time to study at this point…

The office is telling the captains not to sign on anyone from here on out without it. Especially the unlicensed. I’m trying to send in my letter to get it but who knows when I will he it back.

Kjshudbhsb

Our office is saying nothing yet, which surprises me. I still need to get it, but ill be home soon.

If you’re not sailing foreign, what are the implications if you don’t have it? From what I’m reading its all to deal with port state issues. I intend to get this but. Joe-boss is taking sweet time with a letter and in the meantime the gummint is shutdown. Reckon they’ll be backed up for months once they go back to work!

I have a feeling this might be like when they implemented the TWICs - a last minute 6 month extension.

[QUOTE=New3M;122207]I think a lot of companies are going to be in trouble come 1/1/14 if this really goes into effect. Out of our 21 crew onboard, 5 have it so far - but 3 already had VSO before this came out.[/QUOTE]

The policy letter saying the Coast Guard will issue the VPDSD and SA endorsements and raising the possibility of port state control issues came out exactly a year ago. VSO has been effect and the STCW endorsement has been required for several years.

I know it’s been out for a while, but in true sailor fashion, we’re all going to wait until the last minute to do anything about it. I was just saying that 3 of the 5 have VSO to make the point that only 2 of our crew had done anything about this.

It may have come out a year ago, but that didn’t stop some companies from not issuing letters until say a week ago. That only happening after a multitude of people had their applications rejected due to the letter written on the vessel.

[QUOTE=rigdvr;122181]They have already extended all credentials that expired since the shut down till the end of the year.
MSIB Number 36-13; October 9, 2013[/QUOTE]

Bump for newbs.

Your credentials are extended. Try to be patient; if you are expired during this period, you can still work

Deleted…will do a search

Today 10/16/13[B] I received a call from the NMC[/B], who had info on my soon to expire MMC.

I called back and was asked if I intend to sail to a foreign port before the end of the year. I work mainly local Yachts and a small water taxi, so I said No.

She (a contractor) stated stated they would issue new SCTW stickers if needed. I advised my renewal (due Nov. 18th) was in a mail box at REC Miami (it was mailed Friday before the shutdown.) She said to print to letter mentioned in this thread and I was OK till the end of the year.

I expect the shut down to end soon, I should be processed soon. The reason for this post is about the USCG contacting ME about my soon to expire MMC, I did not expect that but I am glad they are on top of it
Marc