MSIB Number: 08-20, Change 3.COVID -19 – Mariner Credentials

Marine Safety Information Bulletin (MSIB Number: 08-20, Change 3)
COVID-19 – Mariner Credentials
pdf icon Extension of Merchant Mariner Credential Endorsements, Medical Certificates and Course Approvals

STCW Endorsements: MMCs with STCW endorsements that expire between March 1, 2020 and September 30, 2020 are extended until March 31, 2021. Mariners who are actively working on expired credentials that meet the extension criteria must carry the expired credential with a copy of this notice.

o Until July 1, 2021, for mariners who have met the requirements for initial competency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats (PSC), PSC-limited, fast rescue boats (FRB), basic training (BT), and advanced firefighting (AFF) and who are renewing MMCs that expire between March 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021, the Coast Guard will accept shipboard experience in fire, emergency, and/or abandon ship drills for demonstrating continued competence in PSC, PSC-Ltd, FRB, BT, and/or AFF provided they have obtained at least 360 days of relevant service within the past five years. Relevant seagoing service will be determined as described in NVICs 4-14, 05-14, 08-14 and 09-14.

1 Like

More information:

1 Like

Now that is good news!

Just a heads up if your lucky enough to get your classes in. I just got the word from Virginia they approved my renewal, it took them 28 days. Now I just got to wait on the mail.