Recommended course of action for entering the industry?

Howdy all,

I’m sure this question is asked a million times, I apologize for another one of “those threads”. I’m in my mid 30s and in good health, I’m a former US Marine, currently a senior software developer. The monotony of civilian life is killing me. As per my DD214, I have over 1yr 2mo time at sea (None in the past 90 days).

While in the Marine Corps, I was a Military Analyst. After I got out, I worked on ROV’s for the Navy. Then I got into software development. I don’t have any vocational/professional certifications or licenses.

So for you guys who still have salt in your veins, how would you recommend I jump into the industry? My first assumption is to try and get in a security billet since I have experience dealing pirates/terrorists. I know their weapons, tactics and the countermeasures to enforce. I’m assuming another option is jumping into an average unlicensed position, swabbin’ the deck.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks!

If I were you, I’d stay where I was, on the beach.

[QUOTE=LeatherNeck;53688]Howdy all,

I’m sure this question is asked a million times, I apologize for another one of “those threads”. I’m in my mid 30s and in good health, I’m a former US Marine, currently a senior software developer. The monotony of civilian life is killing me. As per my DD214, I have over 1yr 2mo time at sea (None in the past 90 days).

While in the Marine Corps, I was a Military Analyst. After I got out, I worked on ROV’s for the Navy. Then I got into software development. I don’t have any vocational/professional certifications or licenses.

So for you guys who still have salt in your veins, how would you recommend I jump into the industry? My first assumption is to try and get in a security billet since I have experience dealing pirates/terrorists. I know their weapons, tactics and the countermeasures to enforce. I’m assuming another option is jumping into an average unlicensed position, swabbin’ the deck.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks![/QUOTE]

First, I would go to the Homeport Website and look for the Marine Safety Manual, one of the best resources to learn how military time will be treated. Then I would go to National Maritime Website to learn the application process. Then, I would call Edison Chouest Offshore and explain your experience which may be well received in the government division. The Kelly Chouest is a vessel in the Middle East involved with anti-pirate operations. That’s at least a start.

[QUOTE=anchorman;53690]First, I would go to the Homeport Website and look for the Marine Safety Manual, one of the best resources to learn how military time will be treated. Then I would go to National Maritime Website to learn the application process. Then, I would call Edison Chouest Offshore and explain your experience which may be well received in the government division. The Kelly Chouest is a vessel in the Middle East involved with anti-pirate operations. That’s at least a start.[/QUOTE]

Good info! Thanks Anchorman.

Anchorman gave you good advise, Gyrene. I would also do an internet search of the maritime security companies out there. See what they require for credentials. Iys possibnle you might not have to bother with maritime credentialling. I would think that riding security teams would be considered “persons other than crew”. Good luck.