Recency Requirements


I’m sorry if I’ve posted on this subject but I can never find it when I look.<br><br>I have a new 100 ton Master (April 2008) after having held an 800 Ton Master of Commercial Fishing Vessels (Expired April 1987). Do I have to demonstrate recency of experience to sit for a 1600 (or 500) Ton license (I know I have to meet the STCW and AB requirements) or can I take the test based on my previous 800 ton license?<br><br>Thanks for any information. I’m hoping to use 2000 days as mate, pilot and captain on a 700 ton pogy boat to let me start a career in the oil patch…at age fifty.<br><br>Thanks again.


<P>You can revive your old license (or its current equvalent) without recency, but to go to Mate or Master 500 or 1600 GRT you will need the recent service.<br><br>There’s a one year “grace period” to renew after expiration after that you can still do it but need to take the compolete exam again. To be honest, I don’t know if we still have the same license you held. If not, you would get whatever replaced it (for example, my old Master Freight & Towing 1000 Tons became Master 1600 Tons).<br><br>To go to Master 500/1600 you will need recency. Recency is specified in 46 CFR 10.202(e), 90 days in the last three years. The rest of the sea time requirement can be maet with your old time.</P>
<P>James D. Cavo<br>Chief, Mariner Training & Assessment Division<br>USCG National Maritime Center<br><A href="]<font color=#3354aa></font></A> </P>


Thank you Mr. Cavo. I appreciate that information.