Can engine time count as recency for a deck license?

I need 90 days recency for a 1600 Mate license but I have no deck time in the past 3 years. I am in an oiler position now on a 650 ton vessel. WIll they accept this as recency? I haven’t found a definition in the CFR’s yet.

• Updated - - -

d. Recency of Experience. 46 CFR 10.202(e) requires three months qualifying service on vessels of appropriate tonnage (deck licenses) or horsepower (engineer licenses) within the three years preceding the license application. There is no time limit in which the remaining qualifying service may have been completed.
(1) Tonnage/Horsepower of Recent Service. The regulations specify the tonnage or horsepower of qualifying experience for various licenses. Apply the same rules to the required recent service. For example, to qualify as Third Mate, any gross tons (GT), an applicant must have all of their experience on vessels over 200 GT with at least half of that time on vessels over 1600 GT. This also applies to the recency requirement where all of the recent experience must be on vessels over 200 GT with at least half of that time (45 days) on vessels over 1600 GT.
(2) Nature of Recent Service. Only actual underway time may be used to satisfy recency requirements. Underway service completed as part of an approved course is acceptable. Simulator training may not satisfy recency requirements. Such underway service is noted on the approved course list (also see 46 CFR 10.304(b) r (d)).

-------------------------------------From NMC-------

Recency Credit
● Recency is required for ALL original and Raise of Grade officer endorsements. ● There is no minimum tonnage required for deck officer endorsements to 200 GRT.
NOTE: If all service is under 5GRT, mariner will be limited to 25GRT.
● Recency is NOT required for renewals.
● Recency is required for towing officer endorsements, but the 90 days can be on any type or tonnage vessel in the last 3 years.
● An applicant for any officer endorsement must have at least 3 months of qualifying service on vessels of appropriate tonnage or horsepower within the 3 years immediately preceding the date of application.
● Recency is required for Master or Mate 500 applicants; all 90 days must be on vessels > 50 GRT
● Recency required for Master or Mate 1600 applicants; all 90 days must be on vessels > 100 GRT
● Recency and unlimited tonnage for deck officers: - All 90 days must be on vessels > 200 GRT, and - At least 45 days must be on vessels > 1600 GRT. - If recency requirements are not met, a tonnage limitation must be calculated.
● Recency and unlimited horsepower for engineer officers (Except DDEs): - All 90 days must be on vessels of 4,000 HP or more. - If recency requirements are not met, a horsepower limitation must be calculated.

It depends on what you’re applying for. The recent time has to be part of the total time you use to qualify for the license. If the “recent” time is not acceptable towards meeting the servioce requirement for the licebnse you apply for, it can’t be used afor the recency requirement. For example, for an any gross tons license, all of the time to qualify for the license has to be on vessels over 200 GRT, so you cannot use time on a vessel under 200 GRT to meet recency, as that time is not acceptable to qualify for the AGT license.

By the way, you’re looking at an outdated CFR that is at least 4 years old. The recency requirement is now in 46 CFR 11.201©. There’s a big regulation cahnge in process, and using an outdated CFR may cause a lot of problems. If you don’t have a recent paper copy, try http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/ECFR?page=browse

I will be applying for 500 master 1600 mate, Great Lakes.

Have they changed the rule that said up to 180 days or 25% of time(whichever is less) can be engine room time? I haven’t found it yet it the link provided above. If that is still an option what I am trying to determine is if I can use engine room time on a 650 ton vessel as recency for the deck license upgrade.(I have a 100 ton). I have no deck time in the past 3 years.

Below is what i have found floating around in the internet.

Sec. 10.410

Requirements for deck licenses for vessels of not more than 1600 gross tons.
(a) Licenses as master and mate of vessels of not more than 1600 gross tons are issued in the following tonnage categories:
(1) Not more than 1,600 gross tons; (2) Not more than 500 gross tons; or, (3) Between 25-200 gross tons in 50 ton increments and with appropriate mode of propulsion such as steam or
motor, sail, or auxiliary sail.
(b) Experience gained in the engine department on vessels of appropriate tonnage may be creditable for up to 25 percent of the service requirements for any mate license in this category.

I found this in the above listed link.

So, if 180 days engine time can be used for this deck license then the 90 days recency can be engine time? On the appropriate tonnage vessel?

§ 11.410 Requirements for deck officer endorsements for vessels of not more than 1600 gross tons.
(a) Endorsements as master and mate of vessels of not more than 1600 gross tons are issued in the following tonnage categories:

(1) Not more than 1,600 gross tons;

(2) Not more than 500 gross tons; or,

(3) Between 25-200 gross tons in 50 ton increments and with appropriate mode of propulsion such as steam or motor, sail, or auxiliary sail.

(b) Experience gained in the engine department on vessels of appropriate tonnage may be creditable for up to 25 percent of the service requirements for any mate endorsement in this category.

© An officer’s endorsement in this category obtained with an orally-assisted examination will be limited to 500 gross tons. In order to raise that tonnage limit to 1,600 gross tons, the written examination and service requirements must be satisfied.

I am going to apply and see what happens. The way it looks the engine time should count for recency as it counts toward the total sea time.

Take a Deck officer refresher Course, and a 3 day STCW BST refresher course as well. Done deal.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;118563]Take a Deck officer refresher Course, and a 3 day STCW BST refresher course as well. Done deal.[/QUOTE]

They don’t count towards recency for an original license, or rais in garde of a license. The Deck Officer Refresher course is for someone who would have been grandfathered to STCW 95 by having had the associated license before 2002, but who never got STCW. The BST Refresher is to renew BST (only) if you dopn’t have recent sea service. There are no courses to substitute for the requirement for r4ecent sea service to get a license.

NMC said no.

I can’t use engine time as part of my recency for a 500 maters/GL, 1600 ton mate/GL.

I am 27 days short on the deck recency though I have plenty of engine time as QMED. I am back to work next week so I may get the time before the April 16th deadline they gave me.