Recency and seatime for renewal info please

I believe you need one year of seatime in the last five in order for renewal, otherwise you take an open book rules of the road exam in lieu of the seatime. I see something about recency of 90days in the last three years poping up as well. Im thinking of some time off and wonder how this will effect my license. Is my Master Towing in jepordy if I dont have recency or seatime when it comes time for renewal. I know seatime does not expire. Anyones thoughts on how not to suffer any proplems with this would sure help.

46 CFR 10.209 covers the requirements for renewal of a license

I believe the 90 days is for seatime for an original licence, the 360 in the last 5 years is for renewal, (Besides a ROR test this one also effects your STCW Cert vis-a-vis needeing to do BST refresher)

This is first I heard of a BST refresher? I have had BST for more than 10years and never had to refresh? Is this something new again, or does it only effect someone without recency/seatime

If effects people if they don’t have the right seatime.

franklooner,
if you didn’t get 360 days in the last 5 years you’ll need to do a BST refresher when you renew your STCW, then there is the open book exam for your license renwal and it isn’t just ROR, it covers all subects, (and I suspect there may be other hidden traps they might spring on you that they will cook-up in the future!)

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;16507]franklooner,
if you didn’t get 360 days in the last 5 years you’ll need to do a BST refresher when you renew your STCW, then there is the open book exam for your license renwal and it isn’t just ROR, it covers all subects, (and I suspect there may be other hidden traps they might spring on you that they will cook-up in the future!)[/QUOTE]

Just to further clarify the BST refresher requirement. You have to have 360 days “beyond the boundary line” (i.e. not domestic) in the last 5 years to avoid a BST refresher.
You can find the companies that offer the 3-day BST refresher here.