Racial Slurs on the Vessel

We were recently confronted with a new deck officer with bigotry problems who went as far as to use the “N” word on the bridge and apparently other places on the vessel. This went as far as HR and nothing was done. He is due to return to the vessel. The entire crew is aware of this, and like most vessels, we have a large minority work force on board.
I was just interested in what you guys (gals) though about the lack of action here by the company. Appropriate? Not?

I’d say it’s a lack of action by the captain to say he’s not welcome back. If so, its a leadership issue onboard. As we have seen you can’t wait for the office to do the right thing.

[QUOTE=z-drive;182933]I’d say it’s a lack of action by the captain to say he’s not welcome back. If so, its a leadership issue onboard. As we have seen you can’t wait for the office to do the right thing.[/QUOTE]

Well, as offensive and Non PC as it may be, it is not illegal. . . and this in NO WAY supports what he has done. I would imagine, however, that it violates several HR guidelines and all. . . And would also make working very difficult. . . . perhaps if any of the crew and/or other officers would file a specific, official complaint?

What ever happened to take him out back and beat it out of him? He’s obviously outnumbered, if HR didn’t say anything about his verbal abuse are they going to take notice if he spins a yarn about getting beat up? It’s your word against his! There’s no telephone books on board but you could always use equipment manuals to hide the bruises, although truth be told I’m not 100% sure that that method actually works.

[QUOTE=cmakin;182934]And would also make working very difficult.[/QUOTE]

I think it qualifies as harassment for this reason, especially if he ever uses it concerning a specific person.

I’m pretty sure it is illegal. Doesn’t it constitute workplace harassment. I know a little harassment here and there is no big deal, but that sounds like it meets the standard for action to be taken if it’s a recurring problem.

Here come the PR police!

First these bad people use words you don’t like, then they assign jobs you don’t like. Then you don’t feel following orders is right because it’s demeaning.

Next you’ll feel people have a right to set their own job duties and work schedules while still earning a proper wage. From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs.

Hah! It’s a ship! Grow up, do your job and keep to yourself. If you can’t do that then go find a safe place ashore where no one will offend you.

Isn’t that the problem DeckApe,… letting them continue acting this way, and NOT doing anything? I say corner him/her,… and let them know/feel that there’s a problem with that word.

That is where the Captain needs to grow a pair and let him know that racial slurs of any kind will not be tolerated onboard his vessel.

Seems like this person might be putting the company in some legal risk, a possible claim of a hostile work environment. I have written procedures to follow but if guidance from the office is lacking the captain might be smart to give this guy a written warning and send it to the office.

Aside from being ignorant this could create unwanted blowback.

Has he said this directly to a crew member in a derogatory or discriminatory way? How many times have you or any other of your crew talked about gays, women, foreigners, or any other group. It’s a pretty common occurrence on boats and you can’t enforce just one part of the rules. If it’s to the gallows for him it better be for the next time you hear a crew member call another one a fag or talk about wanting to tap the tiger tanks reps. Time for the Capt. to squash this and hopefully it can be handled on the boat.
Ofcourse he could be fired on the spot at any company because they all have a harassment/ discrimination policies. There is no place for race division on a boat at all, but one of the great things about being a mariner is working with all different kinds of people with all different kinds of ideas. Like their ideas or not.

It’s all about being a good shipmate. If you have highly inflammatory or offensive beliefs it’s best to just keep them to yourself.

A long time ago, I had one my AE’s come up to me and tell me that I had to see something. He took me into the Store Room and showed me a bunch of Nazi Propaganda. I showed it to the Captain and we decided to call the other Captain and see what he had to say about this stuff. It turned out that a AE on the other crew was very out spoken about this and he also said that he did not like having a Filipino (One of my AE’s) sleep in “His” room. We asked to other Captain if talking to him would do anything, he said that he had tried and nothing worked.

So, I had to do something that I never had to do before or since, I took it to the Office and he was gone.

It turned out that this guy lived in the same town as I did and it got a little nasty until he found out that my Friends were a lot bigger and Crazier than his couple of friends. After the first run in there were no more problems.

In the above situation, if it can not be handled very quickly on the vessel, I would take it to the office. If this gets back to the office and it’s still going on, I fear that any and all Officers that knew / know about this will be punished for not bringing to the the office. It’s a no win situation.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;182935]What ever happened to take him out back and beat it out of him? He’s obviously outnumbered, if HR didn’t say anything about his verbal abuse are they going to take notice if he spins a yarn about getting beat up? It’s your word against his! There’s no telephone books on board but you could always use equipment manuals to hide the bruises, although truth be told I’m not 100% sure that that method actually works.[/QUOTE]

Would a 12 inch black dildo work?

“What’d you call me, boy?!”

Someone can demean, discriminate, insult, belittle or degrade anyone in the Queen’s English. So what then? Some people have delicate emotions that are easily slighted. The answer isn’t to coddle.

That person should treat others as they want to be treated - especially in the face of a malicious or ignorant shipmate. Being hurt by others isn’t grounds to hurt others in turn. They should do their job as best they can against all hazards of the sea. Their own shipmates or officers may be one of those hazards.

They should hold themselves with dignity in the face of discrimination so when they go home, wherever home may be, they can be proud for having weathered the worst kind of storm.

Hurt feelings report