Question about upgrade to 2nd Mate

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/MCP-FM-NMC5-17%202nd%20Mate%20AGT.pdf?list1=checklists%2FMCP-FM-NMC5-17+2nd+Mate+AGT.pdf&B1=GO!

I have taken the 3rd/2nd Mate exam. When I get my sea time to upgrade to 2nd Mate, do I have to take blinking light again? I thought it was just a matter of sending in your discharges.

I was told by NMC on my current upgrade that Visual Signaling had to be completed within one year of any upgrade. No fear, if I am wrong my ever benevolent sea-daddy Anchorman will shortly put us both on the right path. Oh, Dad???

[QUOTE=Diesel;44953]I was told by NMC on my current upgrade that Visual Signaling had to be completed within one year of any upgrade. No fear, if I am wrong my ever benevolent sea-daddy Anchorman will shortly put us both on the right path. Oh, Dad???[/QUOTE]

I have to comment Diesel. I am sorry. You are liked a whipped dog that flinches every time its master moves his hand. You poor thing.

MateW,

Diesel is right. So I guess we will not have to witness his sea daddy spanking him for incorrect information. You will have to provide a valid flashing light certificate to upgrade to 2nd mate. You will also have to take it for Chief Mate and then again for Master. Believe me you will know it before it is over. There is the possibility to acquire enough sea time to upgrade before the one year validity of the Flashing light is expired, but you would have to time it just right.

[QUOTE=Capt. Lee;44967]I have to comment Diesel. I am sorry. You are liked a whipped dog that flinches every time its master moves his hand. You poor thing.

MateW,

Diesel is right. So I guess we will not have to witness his sea daddy spanking him for incorrect information. You will have to provide a valid flashing light certificate to upgrade to 2nd mate. You will also have to take it for Chief Mate and then again for Master. Believe me you will know it before it is over. There is the possibility to acquire enough sea time to upgrade before the one year validity of the Flashing light is expired, but you would have to time it just right.[/QUOTE]

LMAO! I expected nothing less.

[QUOTE=MateW;44952]http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/MCP-FM-NMC5-17%202nd%20Mate%20AGT.pdf?list1=checklists%2FMCP-FM-NMC5-17+2nd+Mate+AGT.pdf&B1=GO!

do I have to take blinking light again?.[/QUOTE]

Do we have our terminology correct? Is the light blinking? To me it seemed to be flicking.

[QUOTE=MateW;44952]http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/MCP-FM-NMC5-17%202nd%20Mate%20AGT.pdf?list1=checklists%2FMCP-FM-NMC5-17+2nd+Mate+AGT.pdf&B1=GO!

I have taken the 3rd/2nd Mate exam. When I get my sea time to upgrade to 2nd Mate, do I have to take blinking light again? I thought it was just a matter of sending in your discharges.[/QUOTE]

Dealt with this exact problem this year myself. You DO need to take flashing light. You can no longer take it at the REC, though, you need to take it at one of the schools. A one-day class that will cost anywhere from 150-200 bucks. What I did is studied on my own for a few days until i could pass the exams, then drove to New Bedford Mass (the closest school to me), studied a bit on their program until I was comfortable, then quickly knocked out their ‘official’ exam. I was in and out in about 2 hours.
I’d recommend downloading a flashing light program or buying a disc. you’ve got three more flashing light exams…might as well have a study aid with you.

For the record, the CFRs still state you need to take it at the REC, as they’ve not updated them, despite this new ruling being 2 years old.