Question about time off between voyages

This isn’t a question about shore-leave (I know that pretty much doesn’t exist anymore), but when you are back home for the months in between being on ships, are you still “on call,” or could you use this time as an opportunity to travel the world? One of the things I find attractive about a career in the Merchant Marines is how much time off one gets, as well as just generally being drawn to the sea.

Anyone here use their time off to travel around?

Thanks

All depends on what kind of outfit you are working for. With the vast majority your time off between trips is your own to do with as you wish.

I have been working about 4-6 months a year both for the gov’t and private companies. The rest of the time is my time, with the occasional exception of taking a mandatory class. A few of my younger acquaintances (read: no bills to worry about) have been doing just what you mentioned- traveling around the world, dining at great restaurants, sightseeing, etc.

to add- it’s not that the money is out of this world; it’s the time off. They save up their overtime and do the backpacking/hostel thing. You can travel pretty cheap if you have a plan.

I save up my overtime and pay down bills, but then again, I wasn’t a smart cookie about money until the latter half of my life, lol.

That’s what I like so much about working rotation. I’ve rarely ever so much as received a phone call from the office when I’m home, I think I can count the times on one hand during 8 years sailing on a license.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;179567]That’s what I like so much about working rotation. I’ve rarely ever so much as received a phone call from the office when I’m home, I think I can count the times on one hand during 8 years sailing on a license.[/QUOTE]

Again going back to Crowley. . . this time I was out in CA at my folks house for a few days before doing some more driving. . . phone rings early in the morning on my birthday. . . sounds like I am going to have a good day until I answer. . . can I come back because they need and engineer. . .thought I was good because this was a Thursday and I could not drive back and get there in time. No, NEXT Friday . . still a week early. . . sheesh. . .

Don’t you better than to answer the phone? That is the beauty of caller id. I even go to the extreme of having a different ring tone on my phone just for the company number. My ring tone is from the old tv show “Lost in space”. It says “Danger! Will Robinson!”.

[QUOTE=RespectMyAuthority;179594]Don’t you better than to answer the phone? That is the beauty of caller id. I even go to the extreme of having a different ring tone on my phone just for the company number. My ring tone is from the old tv show “Lost in space”. It says “Danger! Will Robinson!”.[/QUOTE]

This was in the early/mid 80s. . . . you know, the dark ages.