Question about sea time

I was curious, Ive just gotten my current sea time letter from my employer and I’ve got quite a bit more days than I had anticipated and my question is will the time that I submitted for my AB which was all over 100ton count towards the 1080 days needed for my 3rd mate or did the time start over when I received my AB endorsement.thanks for any help

[QUOTE=wardolb;178393]I was curious, Ive just gotten my current sea time letter from my employer and I’ve got quite a bit more days than I had anticipated and my question is will the time that I submitted for my AB which was all over 100ton count towards the 1080 days needed for my 3rd mate or did the time start over when I received my AB endorsement.thanks for any help[/QUOTE]

It depends, you can probably use some of it. You can “re-use” time used for AB, if it meets certain requirements. Six months of the time required for 3rd Mate has to have been been performing bridge watchkeeping duties (if you are being evaluated under the old regulations per grandfathering, this time has to have been as AB). [46 CFR 11.407(a)(1)]. Time on less than 100 GRT cannot be used. [46 CFR 11.402(a)(1)] Time on inland waters can be used for no more than half of the required total. [46 CFR 11.401(e)(2)] You also need to have at least 3 months of the requred time in the past 3 years. [46 CFR 11.201©(2)]

The short answer is yes, any qualifying sea time can be reused for your 3rd Mate. You need a specific total amount of time, not time since any endorsement (other than the old rule if a few months of the time having to be as an AB).