Question about Edison Chouest hours

Hello all,

I am wondering about hours of work for Edison Chouest. Is the day rate for an 8 hour day or a 12 hour day? I have no issues working 12 hour shifts, but I just want to know what to expect. I know day rate policies vary from company to company.

One last question…do Chouest mariners kick up cash for grub or is grub provided as part of the deal.

How you work is usually an individual vessel thing. Pay is a day rate. You may have a 6x6 watch or a 12x12 watch and as far azs I know only on the Houston harbor tuga do you bring your own food. Every other offshore company provides groceries.

Houston harbor tugs?

[QUOTE=capttarpon727;49041]Hello all,

I am wondering about hours of work for Edison Chouest. Is the day rate for an 8 hour day or a 12 hour day? I have no issues working 12 hour shifts, but I just want to know what to expect. I know day rate policies vary from company to company.

One last question…do Chouest mariners kick up cash for grub or is grub provided as part of the deal.[/QUOTE]

It is a good thing you have no issues with working 12 hours per day, because that is the schedule there. It is pretty standard for OSV’s and the oil field in general. You will sometimes be expected to work more than 12 hours on occasion. For example shipyard periods. No one ever makes you do it, but sometimes you have to just to finish the work. If you want to succeed at ECO you work hard and don’t complain about extra hours or extra work. With all that said, there are some vessels that do work 8 hours on and 16 hours off at Chouest. I personally like this and did it for years there. It only works when you have three guys or more in the bridge and they can all three handle their own watch. Some people feel like they are taking money from the company if you don’t work the 12 hours. Even when we were working 8 hour days I guarantee you we did at least 12 hours everyday. Normally 4 hours on deck or doing something outside of the navigation of the vessel. They actually do have a policy on expected hours for the day rate, so you can look it up when you get there.

Groceries are handled by each vessel. The Captain and coordinator is responsible for keep the vessel under budget for groceries. Chouest is very generous with the groceries and normally if you fall short you are allowed to go over. When I left 3 years ago it was around12-15 dollars per day per person. You then would send your cook to the store to get a week or 2 worth of groceries. To answer your question, food is supplied by the company.

On that note, is Chouest hiring masters and mates again? I heard that drilling has been permitted again on a limited basis but cannot tell from the different companies’ websites if anyone is hiring.

They had some new hires at their Training Facility, but don’t know if any of them were Capts and mates. Sometimes you never know with them. It may say on the website no hiring and then you will get someone new on your boat. Best thing to do is go see them.

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;49123]On that note, is Chouest hiring masters and mates again? I heard that drilling has been permitted again on a limited basis but cannot tell from the different companies’ websites if anyone is hiring.[/QUOTE]

An unlimited Master was just hired for the Island Enforcer last week. They are hiring as needed, particularly if you are well qualified.

[QUOTE=anchorman;49132]They are hiring as needed, particularly if you are well qualified.[/QUOTE]

All my time is on tug boats [offshore towing and harbor assist work on conventional tugs] so I have boat handling skills but I do not have DP time or certification. I guess that means I do not fit the “well qualified” part but I will give them a call and see.

Thanks guys for the info.

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;49146]All my time is on tug boats [offshore towing and harbor assist work on conventional tugs] so I have boat handling skills but I do not have DP time or certification. I guess that means I do not fit the “well qualified” part but I will give them a call and see.

Thanks guys for the info.[/QUOTE]

That may not be true. Sometimes they hire guys with towing experience for their AHTS vessels. They like having guys on there with towing experience and are willing to provide DP training for guys once they hire on. Having the boat handling experience is a plus on these types of vessels. I know of several guys that came on to the anchor handlers that previously worked on tugs.

Chouest seems to be hiring again and they seem to favor towing endorsements. A friend of mine just got hired with no OSV or DP experience but he has a towing endorsement. Like most places these days, it is more a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

Thanks. I didn’t get a chance to call them today but I will soon (I am still at work).

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;49192]Thanks. I didn’t get a chance to call them today but I will soon (I am still at work).[/QUOTE]

I am aware of Edison Chouest hiring a few Captains in the last month or so.
One capt. has his 1600/3000 Masters Oceans DP and is presently working on one of the Chouest boats.
I was at the ECO Office a few weeks, ago, and saw about 10 new hirees including this guy.
Several people have told me that ECO is hiring, again.
These hires have gone their and spoke with Nicky Collins.
Hope this info is helpful.

The person who stays in contact with Nicky Collins will be the person he contacts first.

[QUOTE=chemcarrier;49293]The person who stays in contact with Nicky Collins will be the person he contacts first.[/QUOTE]

How often should one email Nicky. I flew to LA to interview in person, and it went very well, however, there were no open positions at the time. As per Nicky’s request, I email once a week. The first two emails he responded to, the 2nd two he has not. I want to stay on his radar without being a nuisance, but it’s hard to tell when there is no response. Any suggestions?

Keep trying. When I was hired on it took some time but I called every week. You have to stay on him if you want to get hired.

They have had some people coming through the training center in the last few weeks taking classes before going out. I think they are looking for good people for the anchor boats and with that you will need a towing endorsement. Most all vessels work 12-12. Like Capt.Lee said they may have some doing 8-16 but the last 4 hours will be checking and doing other thing on board. Keep in contact with Nicky he talks to alot of people so the more you keep in touch the more he will remember you. If you know someone that is already working here ask them to put in a word for you. keep working on you license alot of people are upgrading and going to the unlimited licenses.

[QUOTE=anchorman;49050]Houston harbor tugs?[/QUOTE]
G & H. THey give you an allowance in your paycheck but expect you to bring the groceries you need with you for your 4 day hitch.

I have a 1600 master ocean w/ master of towing ocean, Arpa, GMDSS, and ECDIS, plus several years experience wire towing. He mentioned anchor boats, which is what I want, or regular supply boat, either one is fine with me, just looking to get in and learn. I will start to follow up with phone calls once a week as well. Thanks for the advice everyone!

[QUOTE=Azimuth;54701]G & H. THey give you an allowance in your paycheck but expect you to bring the groceries you need with you for your 4 day hitch.[/QUOTE]

Doesn’t G&H still crew their boats out of the Houston SIU hall? When I was with ABS, I had my trailer in the G&H yard on Pelican Island. If I recall, G&H crews and operates the boats for all of the various Port of Houston tugs (Suderman & Young, Bay Houston and G&H). G&H would get their boats from the other two towing companies.

[QUOTE=cmakin;54734]Doesn’t G&H still crew their boats out of the Houston SIU hall?[/QUOTE]
Must be contract time again. G&H takes out employment ads before negotiations start.